SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    G17 milestone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G17 milestone Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So today was a great day. I took my Glock 17 out for a training session and finally surpassed 10,000 rounds. 10,000 absolutely flawless trouble-free rounds. Today was the 60th time that I have shot this particular Glock over the course of nearly 2 decades with some sessions just for fun, and others in various competitions, including IDPA, USPSA, GSSF, etc. I have fired it strong-hand, weak-hand, performed one-handed manipulation drills racking the slide off of a belt, in all kinds of weather, from below freezing to near 100° at times. I have not abused it though I have used it, sometimes quite aggressively, and have cleaned it every single time afterwards with just CLP and TW-25.

Some of you have many many more rounds through multiple platforms such that 10,000 rounds is not a high volume mark for you. I understand and in the grand scheme of things it is not a lot of rounds, especially for a Glock, though given the timeline and the amount of separate sessions, coupled with all of the other variables for me, this was a rather momentous occasion, and achievement. I would have fully expected at least one failure, perhaps a feeding or extracting or slide-lock type failure though to my surprise not one problem ever occurred. I will say I probably fired less than 500 rounds of jacketed hollow point ammunition with the vast majority being full metal jacket, though they varied heavily in terms of grains and manufacture at times.

About 16 years ago I did the $.25 trigger job and put a new 3.5# connector in it. I also polished the barrel with Flitz and sent the slide off to CCR for a nice two toned look. Other than that, I changed the sights, slapped a talon grip on it, and put an extended magazine release, and for the last 15 years since I’ve done nothing new to it.

I bought my gen 3 Glock 17 back in 2005 because I wanted to get into competition shooting as well as have something reliable for bedside/nightstand duty. Little did I know then that almost 20 years later this would still be my go-to do-all gun. I have zero reservations about defending my life with this gun and have felt that way for quite some time. With all of the new guns that have come out over the last 20 years, some with much better ergonomics and features offering this and that, nothing has really changed about how I feel about the Glocks in general especially the Gen 3’s. I’m not law enforcement, but if I was, I’m almost certain I would make it a point to try to carry a Glock, even though I would probably want to carry my Staccato.

It’s funny, because over the years, you’ve got your people that love Glocks and your people that just absolutely hate them based on ergonomics/grip angle, aesthetics, etc, but to me for the foreseeable future they will always be the gold standard and for good reason. I’m not sure if I’ll get my other Glocks to 10,000 Rounds, but thus far they are all following suit in the footsteps of the Glock 17.

As a final sidenote, almost a cherry on top so-to-speak, is the fact that not only is this my most reliable and enduring pistol, but it is also one of my most accurate and can routinely shoot 1” groups offhand at 10 yards, which I am satisfied with all day long and twice on Sunday. In the picture below nearly one year ago to the day I was able to shoot a 0.8” group center to center with just simple range ammo. I would have guessed I had about 9500 rounds through it at the time, clearly indicating the inherent accuracy left yet in the barrel. I’m sure some time in a Ransom Rest would tighten up the groups even more.

Feel free to share your Glock experiences as well especially if it relates to the 17 as I think it’s the absolute best all-around fighting handgun in existence, regardless of any price.

Posts: 4646 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pistol. I don't think anyone can credibly argue that a G17, or any of 3 or 4 other Glocks (19, 26, 20) For that matter are not the best in their class. Simple, accurate, reliable, and durable. My Glocks have all been fantastic. I am just going non plastic at this stage of life.
The traditionalists (blued steel, modern DA/SA, 1911, etc..) can be slow to come around, but in the end the truth has to be accepted.
Your G17 story is one good example of the truth.

Posts: 551 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Perfection indeed.

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even Glock haters detractors can't hang their hats on the "they're unreliable" peg.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Glock is the Toyota Camry of the gun world. Another million miles to go with a little routine maintenance.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a G23. I had 2 cases of .40 sitting around and no .40 to burn it up with!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I tend to have fairly low round counts as I shoot lots of guns, spreading the love if you will. Big Grin I probably only have around 5k-6k through any one gun except maybe an OLD P226.

I've said it many times. You may not like Glocks, they may not fit you and there are a ton of other options but you are either a new/uneducated gun owner or intellectually dishonest if you don't think Glocks are a hell of a good platform. Maybe not a for you personally but hell of a good platform non the less in general terms.

Also you missed the center. Razz Big Grin

Take care, shoot safe, congrats on the milestone
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Gen3, 34 that I put over 6k rounds through (it helped that I could get a case of WWB at Walmart for 93.00 out the door). I never had a malfunction with that gun and it was a laser. When the Gen5 34MOS came out six or so years ago, I sold the Gen3 to fund it since I only use the platform for range time and wanted to dip my toes into the RDS thing. I’m currently up to just a little over 2K and it runs as good as the other. Thank you for sharing OP.

Posts: 815 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great post. Congrats on the milestone!

My first duty weapon was a personally-owned Gen 2 G17 (1993). I've owned many since then, and currently own 10 now in almost every caliber they make except 10mm. Never an issue with any of them.

A few years ago, near the end of firearms week at our academy, one of our students had a Gen 4 G22 .40 and I noticed something odd about it. Upon inspection, the extractor depressor plunger rod was in backwards and the bearing was missing. I asked her how many malfunctions this had caused her over the last few days. She said, "None, sir." A part missing and a part in backwards and the gun still ran.

Glock's reliability is just amazing.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I’m hoping it continues to go like the Energizer bunny. I will probably replace the RSA as it hasn’t been done in over 6k rounds I’m pretty sure. Also, it’s funny that I have indeed heard of a few examples of some Glocks shooting just fine with various broken parts—another testament to the machine as a whole.

And yes Cslinger I missed the center ha! I pulled the first shot right then thought well I guess I’ll aim over here now Wink

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
An absolute icon that started it all. Very fitting and congrats. I don't care what anyone says. That is a milestone and one to be proud of.

And if there ever was a time of being in a dangerous situation that would mostly likely require having and using a pistol for protection. A Glock 17 and a couple spare mags would be as good of a choice as there is.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yes Cslinger I missed the center ha! I pulled the first shot right then thought well I guess I’ll aim over here now

I was just screwing with you but hell if I haven’t been there done that quite a bit in my shooting life. “Whelp I guess I live here on the target now.” Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
An absolute icon that started it all. Very fitting and congrats. I don't care what anyone says. That is a milestone and one to be proud of.

And if there ever was a time of being in a dangerous situation that would mostly likely require having and using a pistol for protection. A Glock 17 and a couple spare mags would be as good of a choice as there is.

Thanks ORC. Still have that Navy btw.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Glock is the Toyota Camry of the gun world. Another million miles to go with a little routine maintenance.

That's actually an insult to Glock. Camrys have had far more recalls for safety and reliability issues in the past 10 years than Glocks have ever had in the lifetime of the company. Wink

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
What finish is that on the slide? CPII?

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
10,000 absolutely flawless trouble-free rounds.

This is impressive. Congrats. I've never accomplished this with any pistol. Not even with a similar/same make/model (4th gen G17 that I qualified with for duty use around 2009-2010). Even when the weapon is flawless, I've always had at least 1-2 bad cartridges/primers when feeding in the order of thousands. Cheers to your, sir! You have a winner.

Posts: 490 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Thanks ORC. Still have that Navy btw.

Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Just checked my spreadsheet on the G17M Gen5 MOS. Got it in July 2022 and 2,810. Not one issue.

Almost all of my pistols are under 5,000 rounds.

My G21 has about 15,000.

My old WG P226 had about 20,000. (I sold that one in 2000...curious how many it would have now!)

Posts: 1407 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post