SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    p229/lefthanded
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p229/lefthanded Login/Join 
posted
I really like the Sig p229 for the hammer fired trigger pull, I'm lefthanded and I beleive the slide catch is not ambi, I'm not sure if the clip release can be switched, is there any other options for for lefthanded hammer fired Sigs, or do you think it's not a big deal to have the slide catch on one side, I've had to train myself to get used to righthanded pistols and knives which I'm also into, sorry if this is dumb question, I'm fairly new to pistols.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 24, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the mag release can be swapped over, but haven't tried it with a P229.

I most recently did it with a P227 I had apart, but kept trying to push the button where it used to be.

Swapped it back before I put it back together. Let us know what you find out.
`
Welcome to the forum!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty. For the sig I haven't been able to figure out a way to hit the slide release with anything on my left hand. It's a great design for right handers, but isn't good for lefties. Although no right handed slide release is good for lefties. What I do when reloading is: after inserting a new magazine, as I regain my grip with my right hand, once my right hand is making contact with the gun and my left hand, I reach up with my right hand fingers and hit the slide release, then move my right hand slightly to complete regaining my grip. It takes more motion, and slightly more time, than a right handed shooter. Welcome to the gun industry where until recently nobody really thought about left handed shooters.

About the mag release. For my first 15 years of shooting handguns I moved the mag release to the right side so I could use my left thumb to release the mag. At the time I was military and deploying to Afghanistan/Iraq. The issue was what if I picked up a handgun without the mag release swapped, or what if one wasn't available? So I trained myself to use a completely right handed gun. The reason is muscle memory. In a high stress situation I don't need to be fumbling for the controls on my weapon. I still make my ARs ambi, but that has caused problems. Nothing like going to take the safety off so I can engage a target and not having the safety there because the gun isn't ambi.

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most left handed shooters find the mag release easy to manipulate with the left trigger finger. Unlike right handed shooters, we lefties can drop the magazine without twisting the gun in our hand.

The slide release is more problematic. I have been able to “roll” the gun forward enough in my left hand to get the trigger finger on the slide release, but I always felt like I was going to drop the gun. Another option is to ignore the slide release, and rack the slide with the right hand, “sling shot” style. Another option is to use the fingers of the right hand. As your support hand comes up from below the gun, the fingers of the right hand can reach under the trigger guard and release the slide.

In Chapter 18 of the “Gun Digest Book of Sig Sauer”, Mas Ayoob gives several helpful techniques for left hand shooters using the Classic Sig series.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's a great point and one I never thought about, I'm probably gonna switch the mag release on my guns back to righthand release, I owned a Sig back in the early 90's (p220) that was not ambi and got used to it, but it would be nice if it was ambi.
quote:
Originally posted by Spaatz:
I'm a lefty. For the sig I haven't been able to figure out a way to hit the slide release with anything on my left hand. It's a great design for right handers, but isn't good for lefties. Although no right handed slide release is good for lefties. What I do when reloading is: after inserting a new magazine, as I regain my grip with my right hand, once my right hand is making contact with the gun and my left hand, I reach up with my right hand fingers and hit the slide release, then move my right hand slightly to complete regaining my grip. It takes more motion, and slightly more time, than a right handed shooter. Welcome to the gun industry where until recently nobody really thought about left handed shooters.

About the mag release. For my first 15 years of shooting handguns I moved the mag release to the right side so I could use my left thumb to release the mag. At the time I was military and deploying to Afghanistan/Iraq. The issue was what if I picked up a handgun without the mag release swapped, or what if one wasn't available? So I trained myself to use a completely right handed gun. The reason is muscle memory. In a high stress situation I don't need to be fumbling for the controls on my weapon. I still make my ARs ambi, but that has caused problems. Nothing like going to take the safety off so I can engage a target and not having the safety there because the gun isn't ambi.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 24, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post