SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RMR Milling on Classic Sig Slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RMR Milling on Classic Sig Slide Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
We had a thread a while back on mounting a red dot on a 228 Link but it never resolved to a definitive answer, and there clearly could be issues with a folded slide and pinned breach block.

In general, is there a practical, not aesthetic, opinion on milling DA/SA Sig slides for an RMR?

My eyesight isn't getting any better, and at some point, an RMR may be the best way for me to go. I am a dedicated DA/SA guy, love my Sigs, and have a small pile of them. I don't want to have to move to striker guns or a new design to accommodate an RMR if I can have my current crop of Sigs converted.

Thoughts?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If you want to do it, no reasons not to. Just not on a folded slide, though.

Q

Posts: 26453 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google images shows pics of P226 slides milled for RMR's so it looks like it's possible.

There's also this, which I know nothing about other than it exists. Maybe try one of these before milling the slide?

https://outerimpact.com/shop/s...adapter-mount-m-r-a/

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Parker Mountain Machine offers the service. I picked up a 226 RX caliber exchange kit so I can leave the originals alone

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure the exact question in this. If it’s a milled slide then it’s fine. I’ve had quite a few done. PMM and L&M are the two I trust. Thousands of rounds no issue. If you don't want to mill your original you can get the exchange kit and L&M will make it take an RMR and not the pathetic sig optic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. That mounting plate looks like an interesting option. I could get one of those and decide if I even like the RMR system without buggering up a slide, and then mill some if it made sense.

There's no way I would mill my German 228, but I have a nondescript 229 that is a good candidate for an RMR.

I appreciate all the help.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Hey Artie - If you get the adapter plate above can you post up a review please.

I definitely want to get a red dot at some point and adding one to a 226 with the adapter seems attractive.

Cheers~

Posts: 907 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hollywood_shooter
posted Hide Post
EGW makes an RMR adapter plate.

You push out the rear sight, and push in their plate to the slide's dovetail channel. Then you mount the RDS to the plate. Bob's your uncle.

You can do this on an older carbon steel folded slide too -- no milling involved.

Don't like it? Push the adapter plate back out and put your rear sight back in.

A bunch of folks in this thread don't seem to know that not all SIG slides are the same. Milled stainless steel slides are not the same as older folded carbon steel slides. Mill the former, don't mill the later. And then of course if you're in CA - if the slide has a loaded chamber indicator - that might bone you too.

-----------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb with a Sig X-Six protesting that decision."

Posts: 125 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rear sight mounted ones suck. Only way to say it. First they put the optic higher than it needs to be and second you can't have backup iron sights. For play, have fun. For serious, forget it. And exactly who do you think on this thread doesn't know the difference between a milled and folded slide?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hollywood_shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The rear sight mounted ones suck. Only way to say it. First they put the optic higher than it needs to be and second you can't have backup iron sights. For play, have fun. For serious, forget it. And exactly who do you think on this thread doesn't know the difference between a milled and folded slide?

I didn't want to name names, but apparently it's not you. Yes, clearly it's going to sit higher, but the question in the OP was "is there a practical, not aesthetic, opinion on milling DA/SA Sig slides for an RMR?"

*not to mention that as I said, it's not destructive and doesn't require you to risk your slide just to find out you don't like shooting with an RDS. I thought all that had already been stated?

"Practical" is subjective to your needs.

-----------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb with a Sig X-Six protesting that decision."

Posts: 125 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post