SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Craptacular Remington R51
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Craptacular Remington R51 Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I still think of it as the 'RPuss'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I saw an ad a few weeks ago and they were around $200. I was tempted because they looked so retro. But I decided against. That video made me realize I dodged a bullet.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is it an inherently flawed design unsuitable for the pressure and recoil of 9mm Luger, or poor quality control, or both, or what? Not to mention that it's funky-looking. And this from a guy who owns a CZ P-07.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I think it's a beautiful pistol. Luckily I didn't run right out and buy one.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s like Remington went the opposite way of Buick/Oldsmobile. Where GM worked hard to separate those brands from the image of it being dad’s/grandpa’s brand, Remington seemed to double down on it.

They try to go retro styling and revive the Model 51 (as seen, failing miserably). They keep relying on the old 700 and 870 staples, but let the quality slide. They flub the Masada/ACR. Now they’ve decided to end modern sporting rifle production, killing DPMS and BM altogether.

I can practically hear their Fudd voice yelling “and that’s the way it was and we liked it!” at the clouds.

A shame of a thing to happen to an iconic American company.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
The R51 had styling that reminded me of a toy gun I had growing up.

Vintage 1960's Rayline STAR TREK Phaser Tracer Disc Pistol Gun
I had one of these, probaby about 1969 or thereabouts, except mine was blue. Those little discs really flew out of the thing at a good pace. A fun toy.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My LGS had one on consignment so I took a look at it just because I've never seen one in person. The salesman was very "motivated" to sell it based off of the bs he was telling me and the $150 price tag.
I asked if I could dry fire it and he said "oh sure! It has such an awesome trigger!"
I think the toy pistol above had a better trigger break and after two pulls the trigger stopped resetting.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
I still think of it as the 'RPuss'.

No, that was a whole 'nother animal. The R51 and the RPus are different guns.

Two different back-to-back failures by Remington.

The RP series, including the RP45 (aka "RPUS" due to the janky rollmarking), were Remington's abortive attempt to break into the polymer-framed Glock-clone market.

RPUS:

R51:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
From the video comments: " It’s made for practicing malfunction drills." Big Grin
\

Big Grin

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember how all the gun rags and YouTube shills praised it initially?

I did buy one of the vintage, hundred year old "Model 51" pistols. This was NOT the new R51.

I never ended up taking the "Model 51" to the range, but just playing around with it was interesting. Racking the slide empty, The gun felt like it wanted to jam. I suspect the problems with the R51 wer not simply Remington's poor execution, but the whole design of the recoil system was fundamentally flawed from the beginning and why it was abandoned a hundred years ago.

Those were awesome, I had a blue one. Can you imagine the pc crowd today seeing that marketed for kids.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 'craptacular' is a good to use for thr R51.I bought one and found it unreliable with ball ammo. What realy turned me off was the disassembnly process, not only was is difficlt, it was downright hard to do unless you had real strong hands.
I have a hundred year old M51 in .380 that's a great design and works well, so I expected nore from the R51. I sold the R51 and later bought a Remington 1911, figuring that the company made them during WW2 so they ought to know what they're doing.
Not quite true...You couldn't cleanly eject a live round, the nose of the bullet hit the front of the ejector port and stuck there. Also the supplied magazines were unreliable causing feed problems. Sent it to Remingtom. They fixed the failure to eject a life round by tweaking the extractor (?).The gun still wouldn't run reliably with their mags, but would with some old Pachmayer mags I have. No, they hadn't replaced the mags, just shipped them back. I can't believe that they managed to screw up a 1911.
No more Remingtons for me unless they're fifty years old, made the way they used to be made

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Remember how all the gun rags and YouTube shills praised it initially?

I did buy one of the vintage, hundred year old "Model 51" pistols. This was NOT the new R51.

I never ended up taking the "Model 51" to the range, but just playing around with it was interesting. Racking the slide empty, The gun felt like it wanted to jam. I suspect the problems with the R51 wer not simply Remington's poor execution, but the whole design of the recoil system was fundamentally flawed from the beginning and why it was abandoned a hundred years ago.

Those were awesome, I had a blue one. Can you imagine the pc crowd today seeing that marketed for kids.

We had blue one and the gold one.....

AND the gold carbine.

Good times !!!

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't know what Remingtons deal is where they can't get anything right.

I bought a new S+W 9mm shield over Christmas with 2 magazines etc. for $200 after rebate. It functions perfectly......then again everything from S+W usually functions perfectly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I forgot how bad the grip angle was on those things. Thanks for the memory
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

I had one of these, probaby about 1969 or thereabouts, except mine was blue. Those little discs really flew out of the thing at a good pace. A fun toy.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw one today!

You know how it is in a gun shop, you walk along the case of handguns, new and used, glancing at each and mentally id'ing each one, as this or that..., but I saw one of these and it genuinely brought me to an immediate stop.

It was far more ugly that the photos on this thread show. It had a laser attached and that helped make it even more ugly. I wish I'd taken a photo, though the owners might have been suspicious if I had.

I had not seen one in person, but I had one of the originals back in the very, very early 70s that I carried as an off duty gun for a while. IIRC there was little or no hollow point ammo available for the gun then, so I used FMJs. It worked well (perfectly in fact), but I sold it in favor of an airweight snub.

This however, today, did not bring back any pleasant memories-it was visibly different and, if I forgot to say it-UGLY!

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I was very interested when they announced it back a few years ago; I thought it would be pretty cool. I'm SO glad I never got off my ass to go order one. The R51 turned out to be one of the biggest turds ever released to the gun world.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah WaterburyBob, we both dodged a big bullet, for sure. I was very interested when I first heard about these. Yuck!

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an R51 early on. It fit my hand and pointed well for me, and was accurate when it ran. It was obvious from the beginning that there were problems with reliability and excess wear. Sent it in on the recall and waited a year before they replaced it. Trigger was not as good, and just as hard to take down and clean. The replacement just did not shoot as well as the original.

Somebody expressed an interest in it and I dumped it for half price. He liked the pistol, but last I heard, it was back at Remington for "repairs". Caveat Emptor.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be the only guy in America that has had good experiences with all four of the Remington handguns I own/owned. I have an original Md51 from 1926, which has never skipped a beat, owned two RM380s (shot both but sold both to consolidate to S&W 380 bodyguards), a gen 2 R51 that has never failed, shooting only hollow points, and the last a RP9 which is a great range gun. With the exception of the original Md51, which was designed for FMJ, I have shot only hollow points in the other guns. I buy case loads from SG Ammo and don't mind buying only JHPs as range and carry load. That way I'm POSITIVE my ammo will function. Maybe it's because I only shoot a 100 rounds or so at a time with each gun, maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I read the instruction manual and pay attention to grip and technique? Anyway, I've watched the TFB and other YouTube complainers and I just don't see the same things in my Remington guns as they find. Or maybe I don't used donated ammo (non-traditional brands?) like they do.

Regardless, to each his own. I'm not getting rid of my R51 or my RP9 anytime soon.

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cporfe:
I must be the only guy in America that has had good experiences with all four of the Remington handguns I own/owned. I have an original Md51 from 1926, which has never skipped a beat, owned two RM380s (shot both but sold both to consolidate to S&W 380 bodyguards), a gen 2 R51 that has never failed, shooting only hollow points, and the last a RP9 which is a great range gun. With the exception of the original Md51, which was designed for FMJ, I have shot only hollow points in the other guns. I buy case loads from SG Ammo and don't mind buying only JHPs as range and carry load. That way I'm POSITIVE my ammo will function. Maybe it's because I only shoot a 100 rounds or so at a time with each gun, maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I read the instruction manual and pay attention to grip and technique? Anyway, I've watched the TFB and other YouTube complainers and I just don't see the same things in my Remington guns as they find. Or maybe I don't used donated ammo (non-traditional brands?) like they do.

Regardless, to each his own. I'm not getting rid of my R51 or my RP9 anytime soon.

I'll answer that for you.....You just got lucky!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post