SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911’s Kimber experience anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911’s Kimber experience anyone? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I’m looking at picking up a new Kimber TLE/RL II… I used to carry one on duty and would like to get a new one before I retire.

I know a lot of people poo poo the Kimbers because sone parts are MIM and because of the Schwartz safety.

Looking for any firsthand experience out there?

Posts: 1956 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
I have a Tactical Custom II and a Pro Carry II. Never had a problem with either over the years.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have an Ultra CDP II that has been my main carry gun for close to twenty years, and I picked up a full size Eclipse probably 6-8 years ago.

Both smooth as butter and never a hiccup.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't spend my money on one, and yes I have owned Kimber in the past.

A friend from a local gunshop has a youtube channel called Firearm Freedom and recently documented his experiences with a brand new TLE/RLII. His experience wasn't positive.

He showed it to me prior to shooting it and the gun looked and felt good. I like his quote, "I'm not mad, I'm disappointed.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak to new production but I had a series 1 gold match that was an excellent gun!

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I owned a Raptor and a Warrior and both were very accurate guns, when they fired, which was occasionally. I know the Raptor was a series II gun, I’m not sure about the Warrior.

I put over 1000 rounds through the Raptor, after around 700 of which it went back to Kimber, and around 800 rounds through the Warrior and neither were reliable with any ammo or with any mag.

Both guns were purchased over a decade ago and I’ve been told by trusted members on this forum that newer guns are way more reliable. I am a bit hesitant to try them, but my recent experience with their revolvers are extremely positive so I am seriously considering giving their 1911 lineup another chance.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I own a Stainless Pro Carry II. It has 283 flawless rounds through it, mostly handloads. It is quite accurate.

I have owned a 5 inch 2 tone II and 5 inch all black model GFO II in the past. Both ran reliably. I should have hung on to one of them.

I think the lower end basic type II models from 2017 production onwards are generally (barring the rare lemon) good out of the box. They are generally excellent in fit, finish and accuracy.

Edit to add that all of my past and present Kimbers are in .45 acp.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I own two: A Kimber Custom II GFO 10mm and a Kimber Rimfire target. They both needed minor gunsmithing, on the order of about $100 ea., to be 100%. In both cases it was occasional failure to feed. They are now 100%, near as I can tell.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have a Custom II with front FO sight. Have had a few hundred rounds through it with 2 failure to feeds though I attributed to the breaking in period. The rear sight loosened on me though I cinched down the hex screw and it’s been rock solid since. The front FO also fell out so I replaced with a new piece of green FO and it’s perfect now too.

It’s a very smooth and accurate pistol and for some reason I just love the way it feels in the hand. The fit is as good or better than my Colt 1991 and though the grips are plain rubber, they feel great. Mine is all black except the trigger so it looks really clean to me. No memory bump on the grip safety and no front strap checkering though I’ve had no issues keeping hold of it or activating the grip safety so it’s fine to me as an entry level 1911. Not a fan of the Schwartz safety though obviously it wasn’t a deal breaker. Mags that come with them are fine though I really have come to like Cobra mags.

upload to album

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Kimber Team Match II 5" stainless with MIM parts for more than 10 years now. I have used it exclusively for IDPA and have put 2,000+ rounds through it. I use jacketed ball ammo and Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines. It has always cycled reliably and shows no signs of wear.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 499 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I had issues with mine and was going to send it in. Kimber warranty is only a year and CS person said it would be $50 to look at it, plus cost to ship it to them. I bought a new guide rod and that helped. CS told me to swap out the guide rod assembly every 500 rounds.

Frown

I still had some feeding issues.

I got rid of the Kimber and bought a used Smith and Wesson and a TISA 1911. Both run great.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Was looking at a Kimber KHX Custom at one of my LGS', yesterday. Might could be my first pistol with an optic Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Custom II and no issues. Purchased in the last three years.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I've had lot's of their 1911s over the years and never had a problem with them. I currently own a series 1 classic target and love it (had it about 3 years). The shop I used to work at was a Kimber Master Dealer and in the 6 years I was there, I only sent 3 in for repair. For the money, they offer a lot of features. For what its worth, I also have one of their K6S revolvers and have over 3000 trouble-free rounds of 357 through it.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best friend has one. Crimson carry or some such. It has been unreliable from day one. Finally convinced him to send it in. Way out of warranty. They came up with some reasoning that the mainspring housing was “dented” and that was causing all the issues. Even sent it back with a letter claiming it was unsafe to shoot but offered to sell a brand new frame for a bunch to rectify.

I looked at the gun myself. If the “dent” was causing any issues I don’t see how. The mainspring housing seemed to fit just fine with no binding of the mainspring. I am no 1911 expert but it seemed like bullshit. I offered to work on it but he decided to buy the new frame.

Left a bad taste to both of us. Better guns out there for the money.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Over the last 20 years or so, I've had first hand experience with a half dozen full size Kimbers. Mine were good guns. Still have one, with no intention to ever sell it.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Pro Carry II here, in 9mm. Purchased last year. It was used, two years old ... but looked like it never had a round put through it.
It likes the hotter 9mm ammo in order to cycle and perform flawlessly. My lighter reloads didn't work well in it.
Easily adjusted for.
I'm happy with it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I owned and carried a 9mm CDP Ultra for a while.
Had it modded up a little.
It was a tad picky with ammo (didn't like reman ammo) but besides that, no issues.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Kimber Tatical Pro 2 here for at least 25yrs in 45acp.... feeding problems from early on using the factory supplied and later factory badged mags... feeding problems cured by switched to the wilson combat 8 round mags and a couple shooting star mags................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1944 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a first gen Kimber and it was as n all around excellent gun. When I decided to get down to 3 calibers my Kimber was my only .45 so a friend of mine who always wanted it got it. He claimed the first gens where why Kimber got their great rep and the guns after that are what slightly tarnished their rep. I don’t know if that’s b.s. or not.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post