SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You Will Buy A Revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Will Buy A Revolver Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
^^ Love it, and “NFL” for the win! Smile

I'm glad someone figured out what the NFL meant, LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange: The 3-1/2” gun has “Secret Service” grips from Eagle Grips on it. Some gunleather from Barranti is enroute; pics to follow once that has arrived.

Beautiful Smiths, very nice!

Posts: 794 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
@TexasRaider thank you! I’m definitely going to have to borrow that NFL reference haha!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll probably add a couple more...a K6S certainly, and the snub 627 we just got into the shop is enticing...although frankly I'm sort of falling into a 1911 kind of groove these days.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have liked revolvers to look at, shoot and carry since I started buying and shooting in the 90's. When I think about the beautiful Smith PC revolvers I owned and traded away I could kick myself.
I have a couple in my safe now and often carry a Ruger LCR .38 or Smith 638. I actually hear younger (sometimes older but usually younger) shooters say that they have never owned or shot a revolver and all I can think of is that they don't know what they are missing.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
While I’m down to 3 - I still do like the revolver. A 642-1, a 640-1 (I bought that one new in 1995) and a Model 19 K-Comp.

Revolvers do scratch a particular itch - that’s for sure.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorite threads as I absolutely love my revolvers (Ruger stainless) and lever action rifles (Henry). They've been getting nearly all my range time for several years now.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a revolver problem. Particularly a Ruger revolver problem. I like them, and keep finding decent deals on them, so they keep following me home. I don't have anywhere near as many as some folks here, and none of them is particularly high-end, but they're practical and they all get shot pretty regularly.

The 360J is my gun for when I can't or don't want to carry a gun. It does a lot of duty around the house, jogging, and on the boat.

The Single-Six has killed more varmints than any other gun I own.

The SP101 has been with me on most of the backcountry trips I've taken. It carries well, packs a punch, is very accurate, and is surprisingly pleasant to shoot magnums out of.

The beat up old Speed-Six gets used for load development a lot...mainly because I got it really cheap and I know I can't blow it up.

The GP100 is just a sweetheart to shoot heavy magnums out of. I like taking it out and ringing steel at 50 yards.

The Model 69 is a new acquisition for hiking in big bear country. It's still a work in progress as I try to figure out grips and a good set of loads for it.

The .45 Blackhawk Convertible gives me the ability to shoot .45 ACP out of a revolver, and will produce one-hole groups with impressive regularity.

The .357 3-screw, while not as accurate as the .45, puts a grin on my face because four clicks Big Grin. Plus, single-actions should come in pairs Big Grin!

And yes, every good revolver needs a lever-action to go with it. Marlins are another disease that I suffer from, but that's for another thread.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I have a couple no lock Smith revolvers

4 inch 586 no dash and 2.5 inch 19-5

Pre mdl 10 snub and a 442-1 pro

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
A few of my favorites they all get used frequently...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: toxophilus84,

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Well, I did it again. Picked up another wheel gun.

This one is a bit rare (or so I've read) as it's uncatalogued revolver from around 1993 or so, I believe. The story goes Smith was making 642's back in the early 90's, but was having rotten luck getting the aluminum frame to match the stainless barrel and cylinder, so instead of wasting the 3000 or so models that were hopelessly mismatched in color, they deep blued them, polished them up nicely and over-stamped the '642' model number in crane as 'MOD 042'. The first 3000 or so were done this way, but apparently there was a follow-up batch or two that were done in the now more-familiar flat black of the m442, which immediately followed and replaced this red-headed stepchild.

I got it in today and the photos don't do the glossy finish justice. I'm not a S&W expert, but I'm pretty sure this is the only black, shiny, hammerless J-Frame S&W ever made. At least that didn't have a grip safety on it...

The trigger is also a HECK of a lot nice than the one on the 442 I picked up last year. But the first thing I gotta do now is to dump the Crimson Trace laser grips (I hate laser grips) and get a really nice set of Altamont grips. Then find an appropriately posh leather holster.

For those interested, years ago the then-well known former gunwriter Dean Speir did a write up on these things on his old website "The Gun Zone", the link is below.
The site is defunct now, but can be found on the Internet Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20...nzone.com/sw042.html

Posts: 794 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice score! I've heard of those but never seen one in person. I love a nice J-Frame, and that one's a beauty!

Thanks for the link, too...that's an interesting read.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Revolvers are great, and one of the few types of gun of which I am interested in buying more.

I started with this one, a 1930 Colt Officer's Model.

The next one, a nickel Model 19 was sitting in the case on consignment when I went in to pick up a St. John's County Mini-14 I had ordered, so it came home with me.

Then, a friend wanted to sell a GP 100. The nickel Smith was so nice, that I didn't want to carry it in the wet Florida woods, so I bought it.

After that, this Redhawk was floating around my favorite pawn shop.

The last acquisition was a Smith 629 that was just too nice to pass up at the Orlando gun show before things went nuts.

I suppose I should also include this one. I've never shot it, hell, I don't think it would hold together. Chambered in .22 short only. 5 Shots. This is a truly last ditch weapon.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I do like wheel guns Cool

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve found some good deals on a few J frames over the last year. My project Gun was a 637 that I installed a WC spring kit to compliment the bobbed hammer I initially installed. I never leave home without a J frame on me..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TexasRaider - what don't you like about laser grips?

I ask because I have an Airweight that I've been thinking about getting laser grips for. Don't know how different they will be so I'm interested in any real-world experiences - either good or bad.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
A few Smiths

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
TexasRaider - what don't you like about laser grips?

I ask because I have an Airweight that I've been thinking about getting laser grips for. Don't know how different they will be so I'm interested in any real-world experiences - either good or bad.

Because I'm older than the Earth's crust and I was raised and trained on 'Front sight, front sight, front sight...." I don't like lasers because they (IMHO) teach bad habits...they teach you to look for the 'red dot' and not use your front sight. Additionally, if one is trained up on looking for a laser dot and it fails in an "Oh Crap!" moment, your OODA loop will lock up while you mentally fumble to remember to look for a front sight. Lastly, with the smallest amount of dust, dirt, smoke, moisture or debris floating around, that red laser turns into a big red arrow pointed right back at you, showing the threat where you are.

Yeah, I know... folks can come back at me with a legion of arguments about why lasers are awesome, but at the end of the day I'd prefer a sighting system that's common on all of my handguns...the front sight. I don't want to be caught switching back and forth between different types of sighting systems on a pistol then have all Hell break loose after I changed my carry gun for the day. But that's just my old fuddy-duddy take, others are obviously free to pursue whatever they wish....

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lots of great new additions to this thread...I love it!

Looking back at my post from last year, higher up on the page, I've acquired quite a few more wheel guns since then. In fact, I now own more revolvers than semi-auto handguns. Three of the new ones are J-Frames, the 63-5, 640-1, and 31-1 in this photo. I can't help myself when it comes to a nice wheelgun. There's an old blued GP100 with a half underlug in the case at the LGS right now that I keep telling myself I don't need...

posted Hide Post
Thanks TexasRaider, your advice gives some good food for thought.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’d forgotten about this thread!

My earlier-posted S&W 27s have grown in number by one, with a 4-inch gun riding nicely between a 3-1/2” and 5” gun. And a 1947-era K-22 provides both its own brand of fun and a nice “training base” for the centerfire guns.

My 642 remains a concealed-carry mainstay for me as either a back-up to a larger gun or as a stand-alone.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post