SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    ATI Glock .22 Conversion Using Cartridge Inserts. How can this thing possibly work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATI Glock .22 Conversion Using Cartridge Inserts. How can this thing possibly work? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I’d imagine all my fellow gun nerds have seen or heard about this ATI .22 Glock conversion. Shown here for reference. https://www.thefirearmblog.com...onversion-kit-glock/

What I gather is it uses a drop in feed ramp, a drop in conversion barrel and 9mm sized/rimmed cartridge conversions that the .22LR round is encased by. This is supposed to allow the use of a stock Glock slide assembly and magazine for your .22LR shooting. Now barring the obvious question of if it actually works you will be chasing and losing these cartridge conversions all day long, I have another question.

-How the hell is a .22LR going to provide enough blowback force to overcome an OEM all steel Glock 9mm slide much less the slide and the recoil assembly? This thing absolutely shouldn’t work, at least I don’t think it should.

Again I’ve only seen mentioned a barrel, a drop in feed ramp part and the .22LR cartridge sleeves. Nowhere have I even seen mention of a different RSA but maybe I missed that, but even so the weight of a G17 slide alone is not insubstantial.

So people smarter then I, tell me how this is going to “work”

Take care and shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Looks like a crappy way to be able to use the factory slide and mags...Why?..Guess they plan on selling a million cartridge sleeves.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A) That looks like it won’t work
B) That means I have to “load” the cartridge, the load the mag, then hunt these SOB’s down, and pop out to case to do it all over.
C) Hell no.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
100% agree and my first thought was even if this works it looks like a way to sell cartridge sleeves.

I guess I am less interested in the marketability of it and more interested in the how da hell do it work angle. Smile. As in my mind there is NO way this is going to work unless there is some VERY specific and or proprietary hyper velocity .22LR at play that has been “glossed over”.

Hey I am not an engineer and to be honest I am not all that smart so maybe I am missing something here but I am having a hard time seeing this thing function with mini mags or velocitors much less bulk pack ammo of any kind.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, picking up the adapters is no worse than picking up brass to reload if you have an odd caliber with expensive cases.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps but one of the joys of 22 is not having to do that. Plus it’s not just picking them up. It’s loading them in their sleeves. Then in the mags. Then policing them. Then pushing out the empties. Shit. Just buy a 22 and erase 3 of those 4 steps. How does this seem like an improvement?

Plus I agree with Chris. I don’t understand the magic that miraculously allows a 22 to cycle a full-sized and weighted slide. I get it’s a different spring but every 22 ever has a fairly light slide. I think they did some wonky stuff with the Ace (floating chamber) but I don’t any of that. How is this possibly going to be reliable?

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it’s a similar principle to the floating chamber/recoil enhancer design of the Colt Ace/conversion unit.

I can’t see how it would work and I think it’s a stupid idea. I do wonder IF it will work.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video interview with the rep a bit further down....

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...k-american-tactical/

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, this would make no sense, but the optics world is a big factor in why this might work. It will mean not buying a second optic and/or having to find a way to attach an optic to your .22 kit. Obviously the zero will be different.

If the little bullet sleeves are not unreasonably priced, and the system itself works well, it may do pretty well for all the more they're going to charge for it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy had that epitome of high end shotguns, the H&R Topper. He had an adapter that went into the chamber that enabled you to shoot .38 Special out of the Topper.
I could hand toss a .38 cartridge and achieve better accuracy than the Topper .38 adapter shot.
Based on that experience, my confidence in the ATI system is low.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it would work reliability or with any accuracy. If the chambers are to be reused, why make them metallic colored? Good luck not losing them every outing. I guess you could paint them pink or yellow to make recovery a little easier.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea because someone who buys this ridiculous system to use their stock Glock but with 22’s wants to hang that soccer net on their gun. Lol.

This thing seems headed to Disaster City. Waiting for first real review.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
HA! First thing I thought of was this thing has brass catcher all over it.

I haven't watched the subsequent link in this thread but I have to say I am, if for no other reason then being a gun geek, interested to see how this thing works in the real world. I honestly hope it works like a charm. IF and that's a big IF it functions reliable, at least as reliably as any other decent .22 conversion, it is a some what compelling option if you can get past the chamber sleeves. Between the cost, mags and the fact that you can run your stock sights/optic(which will just add more weight to this system, but I digress Big Grin) it COULD BE a decent option for folks.

I still don't see this thing working worth a damn, but again I am an idjit so there is that. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I think it is really meant for the home market in Germany where it would be a lot easier to get a conversion barrel than an extra gun on your license.

A limited market here as a novelty and maybe for initial training on a full size and weight gun.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In theory, at least, it could be cheaper (for the kit itself - the brass is up to you) than their full conversion kits.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post