SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who is our "Q" for the P220 - 9mm variant questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is our "Q" for the P220 - 9mm variant questions Login/Join 
posted
Looking for information on the 9mm variant of the P220. I picked up a very nice example of one last year and have some questions I would like to get figured out.

At the moment it is buried in the safe but for starters has there been any idea on how many were produced in total?

Lastly what have people seen for magazine markings?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 340 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forum member OTD would be your man.

Production numbers? I don't know that there are published production numbers for the P75, P220, P220-1 and BDA 9mm pistols but altogether, they were produced for more than a quarter of a century. For the P220 and P220-1 variants, these were serialized in the same range as the .45 ACP, .38 Super and .30 Luger chamberings of the pistol, so you wouldn't be able to figure it out via serial number.

Magazine markings? Off the top of my head, floorplates were marked 9mm Luger (early) and 9mm Para (later), if I recall correctly. I'd have to examine some items of my own to tell you for sure.

Posts: 107683 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American mag release markings...

9 mm Para on the floor plates
Triple S circle on the back

Other than that,
dovetail backs
8 witness holes on each side
5 dimples on each side
2 mag catch slots each side

Two which come with the pistol have rubber base pads.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Edit:[s]It´s a 9mm P220-1 aka P220 American in 9mm Luger. It´s the same pistol like the .45, but in 9mm. It was a standard product of SIGSauer but not as popular as the .45. Magazines are standard 9mm P220 magazines with cuts for the magazine realease.[/s]

It´s markings are as descibed above. It is a status symbol is some circles, but it´s not really a scarce item.
SIGSauer has not released any serial number ranges for firearms they produced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OTD,

Posts: 3777 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unless you've been in direct communication with the OP, you may want to read his post again. He hasn't yet provided any details of his pistol.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I have a Swiss P-75 9mm magazine no markings on the floorplate, seen photos of a few other 9mm mags with no floorplate markings.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The only 9mm P220 magazine markings that I have are as follows:

9mm Luger
9mm Para
9mm Steyr

There are also a few factory converted magazines that are stamped as:

.38 Super Auto
9mm Para

These are from a .38 Super P220 that was converted to 9mm by Sig for the US market.

These caliber stampings appear in three different fonts. The Sig triskelion appears on some, but not all.

Also of note are the unmarked magazines that do not have a caliber stamped on them.

Other P220 magazines of this vintage have a basepad attached to the metal floorplate.

Send us some pics when you have time.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Not forgetting that p220 9mm slides have a wide variety of markings. P220-1’s not so many.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanks for the replies. I had a chance to dig it out tonight and look things over again. I took a couple pics which I am working on posting. But a few observations and a couple more questions as I am puzzled about something.

The gun is a euro style release. Both mags are dovetailed but have no triskelon mark and nothing on the baseplate. Based on the replies I see that some mags exist with no baseplate marks so that satisfies my curiosity there.

The S/N is G125xxx and the stamp under the dust cover is JD which would indicate 1983 production. The S/N matches on the slide, right side of frame as well as the front strap. I didn't have time to field strip and check the barrel for any markings. What is odd to me though is the slide is marked for Exeter, NH. That seems way early to me and wondering why that could be?

Para and OTD I appreciate your thoughts on production numbers, it was more curiosity than anything. Even though exact numbers made are not known, do we know when 9mm production ceased though?

Posts: 340 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy1004:
The S/N is G125xxx and the stamp under the dust cover is JD which would indicate 1983 production. The S/N matches on the slide, right side of frame as well as the front strap. I didn't have time to field strip and check the barrel for any markings. What is odd to me though is the slide is marked for Exeter, NH. That seems way early to me and wondering why that could be?

Although the gun was made & proofed in 1983 (way before SIGARMS established its presence its the US), it wasn't imported until much later, sometime after 1990, where SIGARMS has relocated to Exeter, NH. Hence, that import mark.

quote:
Even though exact numbers made are not known, do we know when 9mm production ceased though?

Serial number thread on top of this page shows the 9mm P220 was still produced until 2001.

Q

Posts: 26441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1982 W.German 9mm P220 that I like very much. I replaced the 22-lb mainspring with a 19-lb mainspring from Wolff. I also replaced the 15-lb recoil spring with a 14-lb recoil spring from Wolff. It runs very smoothly, is more fun to shoot, and no problems with the lighter springs.

Posts: 39 | Location: Center of U.S.A. | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy1004:
Even though exact numbers made are not known, do we know when 9mm production ceased though?
In February, 2002 (that information came directly from SIG), SIG imported a small batch of P220s in 9mm (perhaps only 100), which had the heel magazine release, the slide with the integral front sight, but with the rebounding hammer lockwork of the P220-1. My example is proofed 2001, serial number G324171 and you can see from the group in our serial number list, they are all in that low G324000 range.

-G324-15X-AB-2001-9mm
-G324-17X-AB-2001-9mm
-G324-2XX-AB-2001-9mm
-G324-203-AB-2001-9mm
-G324-23X-AB-2001-9mm
-G324-240-AB-2001-9mm

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I also have one of those P220 9mm EU AB date code small batch import from 2002 I think it was some deal offered on this forum.

My S/N is is within those range of S/N you mentioned

Posts: 1473 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All of them seem to be within a range of about a hundred. I think that's about all SIG brought in.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you knew a reputable firearms importer, Sig had the 9mm available in Germany.

The latest I've been able to verify was part of the X-series and was dated as being made in 2016.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think his question is more about the standard production P220.