SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's everyone using for irons these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's everyone using for irons these days? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Everyone likes what they like. I don't believe there is a "standard" sight to be used.

My personal preference is a gold bead front or an orange dot. For rear, I like a wider U-shaped plain black one. 10-8 Performance used to make them, but they seem to have gone totally to 1911's or Glocks.

Posts: 79 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I went with Ameriglo Agent sites recently and am very pleased with them. I like the Trijicon HD night sites as well.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5593 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:
Everyone likes what they like. I don't believe there is a "standard" sight

Agree 100%. My intent is to see what remains popular. Generally, items that are shit don’t remain popular in this community. Think of it as a survey.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17392 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
My all time favorite sights are the original bar dot or von stavenhagen sight. They weren't night sights but they always seemed to work best for me.

Same here. Given the choice, I'd go with bar-dot over three-dots. However, what I hate with any system is covering the target with the front sight (so-called Combat Sighting). I prefer lining up the tops of the sight with the intended POI, which means I don't really need contrast sights at all.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16451 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I MUCH prefer the original SIG Von Stavenhagen sights!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5141 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
My all time favorite sights are the original bar dot or von stavenhagen sight. They weren't night sights but they always seemed to work best for me.

Heinie Straight 8's are also an option if you're looking for night sights.

Posts: 4325 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Orange ring tritium front sight and serrated black rear sight with U notch.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1263 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:

So something like the Trijicon HD XR?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17392 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the SIG Von Stavenhagen style sights, it’s what I have on my P228 carry guns. But, there’s something to be said for the new style front sights. The Trijicon HDs or the Sig XRay front sights. But, I hate three dot sights. They’re cluttered, confusing, and draw the eye to the rear sights, away from the front and/or target. I’ve just taken a sharpie to the rear dots on some pistols.

On my range and competition guns, I have a fiber front sight with a black or a contrast rest. I’ve always wanted to try the Heinie straight eight rears, but I’d want a rear that is smaller and a different color than the front.

Posts: 842 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gone to straight eight type sights on every gun I carry. I find I am much quicker picking up and aligning them. Although my P228 still has the original Von Stavenhagen style sights with the front painted orange.

Posts: 352 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with anything square where I can align the tops of the posts. I'm not a fan of rounded front posts, or U-notch rears.

I'd say my favorites are the Sig X-Rays...the big green dot on the front helps acquire and place the front sight post into quick focus in daylight and provides tritium for low-light, and the blacked out rear with tritium inserts keep the sight picture simple in daylight but still provides reference points in the dark. Being green also helps differentiate them from the red dot in my optics, too. Sig did it right with that sight design, IMO.

Posts: 8797 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:

So something like the Trijicon HD XR?

Exactly. I have them on my Ed Brown’s and needed to go with a Kensight ProGlo on my Guncrafter.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1263 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I go with a Dawson fiber optic (red) front and a flat black rear.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a set of Speed Sights for an M&P40 2.0. I like them a lot, very fast, but I need to put a little work into them before I go all in.

https://speedsights.com/

Posts: 104 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcop143:
I recently picked up a set of Speed Sights for an M&P40 2.0. I like them a lot, very fast, but I need to put a little work into them before I go all in.

https://speedsights.com/

Those are interesting. I've seen some rifle sights that use diamonds. It seems more precise than circles, but I'd also have to try them out before committing.