SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Ugly Duckling: Bought an old J-Frame 6-Shooter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ugly Duckling: Bought an old J-Frame 6-Shooter Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
So the mouse gun thread cost me more money. I’ve not typically been one for the diminutive calibers. Back before I reloaded I had a Beretta model 20 in .25ACP, but I got rid of it because it was a crappy performing caliber that was hard to find, and expensive when you could. Up until about a year ago my handgun collection was completely made up of stuff in mainline service calibers. Then the Beretta 81s hit the surplus market, and I decided I had to have one. This got me into .32 ACP, and I started loading for it. A few months ago I picked up a Kel-Tec P32 in a local auction…I figured I already had ammo for it, and it would be nice to have a truly tiny handgun in the inventory since you never know when such a thing might come in handy.

I do a lot of shooting outside, it’s been snowing a lot lately, and that tiny .32 ACP brass gets lost really easy and it’s difficult to replace. I started thinking that a revolver in .32 would be just the ticket. A couple of you posted some pictures of .32 caliber revolvers, and confirmed that they’d eat .32 ACP if desired. I’m a sucker for a J-Frame, especially a 3”, so I got to watching gunbroker for something cheap, and ended up winning this used and abused Model 31-1.

The finish was pretty rough, and somebody had already tried refinishing it, so I didn’t feel bad about turning it into a project. I stripped it by soaking it in Evaporust overnight, degreased with acetone, and then tried my hand at Mark Lee’s express rust blue. I’ve cold-blued before, but was never really impressed with the results. This was the first time I’d tried a rust blue. It took about 7 hours, lots of boiling, and I’m reasonably happy with the results. It didn’t seem to want to take on the sides of the barrel…I don’t know if I missed some oil deep down at the bottom of the lettering when I degreased, or what. The lighting in the pics isn't doing it any favors, either...it looks a little better in person. Either way, it’s a lot better than it was…and people pay extra for that “battleworn” look these days, anyway Big Grin!

Shootability-wise, it locks up tight, has got an excellent SA trigger, and an acceptable DA. I was hitting a bit low-left when shooting it, but that was probably me. Groups were about an inch at 7 yards. I did get some light-strikes in DA (about 10%), but none in SA. This happened both with the original spring pre-refinish, and with a new factory-power mainspring that I installed when I had it apart. I imagine it’s got more to do with the headspace of the .32ACP than the gun itself. I need to get some .32 S&W Long brass now and try it with that.

Ultimately, it’s a cool little 3” 6-shot J-Frame, which isn’t something you see every day. I wish S&W would sell these in .327 Mag.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Great restoration job and a very nice story to accompany the post. Any yes, an S&W in 327 magnum would be a great unit, if only ....

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find and a respectable restoration job, very nice !

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a cool project. Nicely done.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Nice resto job!

If guns could talk, I bet that little shooter would have a lot to say.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I like it. You did a great job restoring it and I love little 6 shooters.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the refinish.

Have a pre-30, j-frame 3" nickel in 32 S&W.... pretty much the same as yours, but nickel.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Well, she's not so ugly now! Really nice, gently worn patina.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Does anybody have an suggestions for a good set of grips? I don't mind the way the current ones look (they go well with the patina), but they are pretty small for my hands. Normally I like the S&W factory rubber boot grips on my J-Frames, but I think this one demands some wood, and it's a square butt so those wouldn't fit anyway. I think a nice set of light maple would be sweet.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice! There’s an old 3-inch J-frame in the case at an LGS that’s caught my eye the last couple of visits.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
first gun I bought the wife was a snubby 32 long, (mod 31 IIRC)

nice little revolver that neither one of us could hit the broadside of a barn, from the inside, with,

sold it and gave her my Grandmother's 36 after my grandmother passed,

had a few other 32's thru the shop and considered trying one out again,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
nice little revolver that neither one of us could hit the broadside of a barn, from the inside, with,

This one seems to be a little load sensitive. It's very accurate with the cast bullets from my "modified" lee mold...I got into .32 ACP during the height of the panic when ammo and components were nowhere to be found, so I ended up buying a Lee mold and grinding it down so it drops an approximately 85gr bullet. It grouped those at about 1" just a little bit low and left (which might well be me).

It did't seem to care for the 60gr XTPs, though...those were hitting over 2" low at 10 yards.

All I have right now is .32ACP...looking forward to getting my hands on some .32 S&W Long brass to see if that has any impact on accuracy in addition to the light-strikes.

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
You did a terrific bluing job, I really like it! Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find. Hogue makes some pretty sweet j frame wood grips.

Posts: 384 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
very nice. this thread made my day.

So, we're talking mid-1920's or so?? note sure what era this is from.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
very nice. this thread made my day.

So, we're talking mid-1920's or so?? note sure what era this is from.

1971. You're thinking of the older hand ejectors. My buddy has one of those. It's an I-Frame, and a very svelte little gun. The J-frame is a bit larger and more robust...I've heard that you can actually safely(-ish?) ream the cylinder to shoot .32 H&R Mag in these, but I'm not going to do that to this one.

posted Hide Post
You can shoot 32acp from any revolver chambered in 32?

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Thanks guys! Does anybody have an suggestions for a good set of grips? I don't mind the way the current ones look (they go well with the patina), but they are pretty small for my hands. Normally I like the S&W factory rubber boot grips on my J-Frames, but I think this one demands some wood, and it's a square butt so those wouldn't fit anyway. I think a nice set of light maple would be sweet.

A Tyler T Grip would do wonders.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What he said. Tyler T Grips are the old school standard. I love how they feel and look. I get BK Grips though. Same idea but molded hard plastic, cheaper, and you get them mailed immediately. Just bought another pair for my J frame S&W 22. Tyler TGrips are an exercise is frustration to order and receive.

Either one really completes the old school S&W look.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
You can shoot 32acp from any revolver chambered in 32?

I don't know about "any", but several folks I know in person, as well as others here, have reported good success with it. There are a few issues...primarily headspace because the rim on the ACP is thinner than the rim of .32 S&W/.32 S&W Long/.32 H&R Mag/.327 Mag, so there's a little bit of wiggle room for them between the cylinder and the breach-face. This can produce light strikes like I'm experiencing occasionally in DA (the S&W action strikes with a bit less force in DA than SA, which doesn't help).

There have also been complaints about extraction since the circumference of the ACP "semi-rim" is a bit smaller, it can slip under the extractor star and bind things up. I've not experienced that problem yet, and I think it's mitigated some because the short cases are very easy to clear the chambers.

There's a long jump for the bullet from the mouth of the short ACP case to the barrel, which theoretically isn't ideal for accuracy, but mine has been acceptable.

Finally, the .32 ACP is actually a higher pressure cartridge than some of the older .32 offerings, so it may be unsafe to fire in some guns designed for those cartridges. My buddy has shot ACP through his I-Frame hand ejector with no problems, but it's not recommended. The J-Frame is built stronger and ought to be able to handle it just fine.

The T-grip is an interesting idea, and thanks for the tip on the BK grip as an alternative. I'll give it a look, although I still have a bias towards some nice birdseye maple!

Pedropcola, that's a really nice pair of 3" J-Frames you've got there! What models are those?