SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So a funny thing happened...(Glock related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So a funny thing happened...(Glock related) Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
First off in full disclosure - I’m a Glock fan and have never been dissatisfied with their guns as far as reliability and performance. I score marksman with my G17.4 gun as a duty sidearm. That said, here goes...

I’ve carried Glocks mostly for over27 years in law enforcement. I admit I’ve strayed briefly to the sexy 1911’s (high mainensnce), HK P2000’s (LEM trigger basically sucked at speed) and then Sigs (became too expensive to keep getting dinged up during patrol). So for the sake of argument I’m pretty much still locked into Glocks. They fit my hand fine and they shot great...

So a few months ago I ended up on light duty and dialed down my carry since I was out of uniform. Carried my G43, P320 Compact and a VP9 some when I could. Then I picked up a P365 and it was great.

So yesterday I picked up my trusty G19.5...guess what - it felt like a brick... I know, it’s uber reliable and I’m sure I’ll shoot it just fine but I’ve been spoiled by more ergonomic guns for 6 months so it felt just...blah. I heard Tim on MAC say something similar once.

Now I see what everyone is saying about the ergos of the Glock now...outstanding for what they are - ultra reliable and durable as anything. But not as ergonomic as others...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, I love what they do and how simple they are but its like driving a Camry. Its very practical, its always going to work but..... kinda boring. The Gen 4 is a big improvement but its still a brick, it just fits my hand a tad better.

Plastic wise I really like the grip of the VP9 or the 365 with the 12 rounder in it.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Glocks never felt good in my hand; SIGs have always fit very well, so that's what I've always carried.

To each his own. I've always laughed at the Glock reliability mystique. I've seen them jam just about as often as any other reliable pistol at the range- not often, but it does happen for a variety of reasons.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The sad thing is one of these days Glock will release the Glock Advanced or Glock Perfect II or some such with a truly ergonomic grip and control scheme and........everybody will bitch about it not being a Glock anymore. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Never been a Glock fan. The way my middle finger goes up under the trigger guard just hurts. It's not unbearable, just uncomfortable.
I have shot quite a few Glocks and they all are the same for me. I do own a 43 and will keep it but hardly ever shoot it.
M&Ps, Kimbers, are my go to sidearms

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I made the switch to the Glock 19 as my EDC in 2005 after 15 years of carrying SIG DA/SA pistols, on and off duty.

During 2016 and 2017, I experimented with a couple of single stacks for EDC (Walther PPS M2 and Glock 43). Last year I returned to the Glock 19, after many guns over the past 30+ years, it really is the gun for me. Then...

The Glock 48 comes out. I am waiting to shoot a Glock 48, I've handled a couple of them at LGS and the grip fits my hand REALLY good. I am hoping that the 48 shoots like the 19 (or very close to it) I will then contemplate switching. Not in a big hurry because I want extra mags and holsters etc.. to be readily available. So I'll wait...

Until then, the 19 is on my hip every day from the time I get dressed to when I get undressed for bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rexles, I had the same issue. Have you ever tried doing the undercut on the underside of the triggerguard where your finger hits it? A bit of sand paper or a quick bit of filing makes it pretty comfortable.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
The Glock 17 and 31 where my last two duty guns. They are the only ones I have ever liked. I still have a Glock 32, but the fit is just too short in my hand. It is OK but I just like the longer grip of the 17.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most often complaint I hear about Glocks is that they do not feel right in my hand. The most often praise I hear of them is - they work. I have to say even though their ergos suck they are reliable, dependable, durable, simple, tough pistols. Now that being said I switched to the Sig 320 because it felt much better in my hand than the two by four rough Glock grip. Some say Glocks are made to feel good when they are shot and at no other time.
I also prefer the thumb safety on my 320. Nuff said.

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How a pistol feels in your hand may mean a lot in the gun shop, or even dry firing, but I have learned to reserve judgment until I see what the timer shows. On the timer, Glock pistols tend to punch above their weight, even though they feel like crap compared to some others.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It comes down to how much one like the feel of a brick or a 2x4. I truly like how the VP9 just melds into my hands but I still shoot a G19 just as well. The P320 has never really felt good and is a very unnatural pointer until the X-series grip modules showed up, and those are more like 'bricks' (or dimensional lumber) than the earlier, plump grip modules ever were.

And while we're on the topic of building materials, I've never been able to grow fond of holding a 2x8 to my face, which is what a Tavor feels like to me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you need to put a G48 in your hand. The 48 is far and away the best feeling Glock I've ever held.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Unless a pistol is uncomfortable to the point it causes some pain, I could care less how it "feels in my hand". It is how well I shoot it that counts.

I have box stock Gen 2 Glock 19 with Gripforce adapter that I bought new in the 90s, Walther PPQ 9MM, and HK VP9. Between the 3 I only CCW my Glock 19 and the other 2 are for fun at the range these days.

Maybe I am weird but I have no problem with the grip on my Glock 19. I find that with the flatter sides I can get a more consistent grip and faster that I can lock in for a really steady hold to keep on target and easily manage recoil. It is great there are so many fine choices these days but for me my Glock 19 is still a top notch pistol that I love to shoot and is perfect size for a 15 round 9MM CCW pistol that I prefer above all the others available.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Going from a Walther PPQ M2 at the range to a Glock 19 G3 is like picking up a 2x4 when I transfer to the Glock. Yet, if I start shooting the G19 first, I think it is quite comfortable. I have changed how I shoot, if I am shooting a Glock and a PPQ at the same time, just because of the significant difference in ergonomics between the platforms.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I know, they do feel like bricks after shooting the mini's I picked up a 228 in a gun store the other day and couldn't believe I use to like it, big old hammer sticking out of the back felt like a flintlock. if glock can cram more rounds in the 43x or 48 it's going to be a pretty neat set up.

love the 365.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
So yesterday I picked up my trusty G19.5...guess what - it felt like a brick...

as for an equally amusing anecdote, When I got my Glock 20 for my birthday last december, I went out and shot it, carried it around the house a bit, detail stripped it and fondled it a lot, put in some dry-fire hours, and generally got to know the gun.

So when I went and picked up my G19 - holy shit did it feel SMALL. Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I can shoot my work gun (M&P) a thousand times and do okay.

I can shoot my Sigs a thousand times and do pretty well.

I can pick up my Glock 19 gen 4 and shoot it for the first time in a couple of months and do better than any of the rest.

When something just works...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The sad thing is one of these days Glock will release the Glock Advanced or Glock Perfect II or some such with a truly ergonomic grip and control scheme and........everybody will bitch about it not being a Glock anymore. Smile

...yep, I can see it happening!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post