SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Unintentional yard sale find, a Colt vest pistol hidden in a purse.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unintentional yard sale find, a Colt vest pistol hidden in a purse. Login/Join 
Picture of Greymann
posted
My sister in-law stopped at a yard sale in Albuquerque and bought a vintage woman's purse for one dollar. When she got home and examined her new purse a 1908 colt vest pocket pistol was found hidden inside.
Pistol dates to 1921, zero bluing on slide mostly brown rust patina. Rust spots on frame too, buffed a little with 0000 steel wool. Missing slide safty lever too. Not very useful but a pretty cool early striker design.
The grips are marked "Franzite" and are excellent shape for over 50 years old. Franzite grips were made and sold by Peter von Frantzius between 1930-1960. Before his grip co. Mr. Von was called by the media "The Armorer of Gangland" after Mr. Von got in a little hot water for being an alleged arms dealer to the Chicago underworld.

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Wow, the stories that little gun could tell...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.25 ? .32 ? .44 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
.25 ? .32 ? .44 ?

These were only offered in .25ACP.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Very cool bonus!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Sorry should have included caliber, but it's a .25 auto, blowback striker pistol. Except barrel is not pressed in, the barrel is held to frame with locking lugs. Also has grip safety, a magazine disconnect safety, slide lock safety but only stop trigger nothing to block striker.
Made from 1908-1948.

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Has your SIL made any attempt to return the pistol yet?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Wow, the stories that little gun could tell...

It sat in a purse for decades and never once fired. Probably.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I assume the general laws on transfer of handguns/firearms in a given jurisdiction apply, even if one is gifted/finds a pistol?

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

That took longer than I expected. Here we go...

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I assume the general laws on transfer of handguns/firearms in a given jurisdiction apply, even if one is gifted/finds a pistol?

No such commie laws in NM that I'm aware of...for NOW. There is no registration.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:

NO, my question too. I know if it was one of my relatives gun I'd want it back. Besides that SIL doesn't own or like guns.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
No such commie laws in NM that I'm aware of...for NOW.

Are there no ethics in NM? What about Federal law?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Yeesh. Its a private sale. Are there members on SF that WANT the GDCs lording it over us?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
No such commie laws in NM that I'm aware of...for NOW. There is no registration.

Strictly speaking, under PA law the OP's SIL would be in illegal possession of a handgun. Even though there is no firearms registration in PA per se, all handgun transfers (with the exception of those between spouses and lineal heirs) must be processed through an FFL dealer. The PA State Police maintains a Sales Record for each handgun transfer - which amounts to de facto registration. I'm not 100% certain the age of the database, though I suspect it coincides with the GCA68 which mandated the FFL system. Of course in this scenario, given the age of the pistol, it is most unlikely any record of sale exists.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep it.

In the words of the late linguist/Democratic Senator from California (San Francisco), S. I. Hayakawa: "It's ours. We stole it fair and square."

In today's society, if it's returned it's just as likely to end up in a gun buyback program to be melted down Frown

In addition, it could be a cold case murder weapon and you end up being the prime suspect. Razz Another quote comes to mind...something about sleeping dogs.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
greymann,

Both Numrich and Jack First have parts if you care to fully restore the piece.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/g...t-25-auto-hammerless

https://jack-first-gun-parts.m...hammerless-25-pistol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
New Mexico allows private sales without the use of FFl or background check, at least until July first. A FFL holder different story.
Thanks bald1 for the link

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are there no ethics in NM?

WTF are you talking about?

They bought a purse and the contents of such purse.

IMO this is no different had that been an old stick of gum found inside of it.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I think there was a legitimate ethical question here. At least ask the seller if they want it back might be appropriate. Chances are they wouldn't because the weapon was all but forgotten but it may have value to the rightful owner. In some states it may be considered theft.

What if it had there been a diamond wedding ring, or a large amount of cash?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
What if it had there been a diamond wedding ring, or a large amount of cash?

There was an article recently about someone buying a statue for $100 at a garage sale. The statue ended up selling at auction for $2.1M. Should the person have returned the statue?

If it had been that important to the seller, they would have looked inside the purse. For all we know the seller of the purse wasn't the original owner. They may have picked it up at a flea market or garage sale.

If it was me I think I would look into the cost of restoring the pistol. A flat bluing (as opposed to high polish) and some new grips and it could be a nice little pistol.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post