SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Removing 365 front sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing 365 front sight Login/Join 
posted
Left to right, fellas?

TY!

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The usual guidance from SIG has been that sights should be installed left to right because the base is slightly beveled for that direction, but they can be removed in either direction.

I have always removed them right to left, though, as the opposite direction for installation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! I evidently have dislexia and can't spell either!! Wink

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! That was the second-most difficult sight removal I've ever had the displeasure to mess with in close to 35 years of working on my guns!! Gad it was a bear!!!! I gave-up on the sight tool early on and had to put it in the padded vise and whack the living crap out of it. I heated it, lubed it, tried the other direction, you name it! I'm guessing the tritium is shot but at this point who cares. I have a set of Super Sights on the way.
Fortunately thanks to the warnings on this forum about the rear sight screws and not using the supplied allan key, it came right out. Whew, I'm still sweating!! YOI!!!!

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Mine was difficult to remove also.
Hardest one I've messed with.

I use a Wheeler sight pusher and it wouldn't budge.
I loaded it up as tight as I could by hand and whacked the shoe with a nylon punch to scoot it all the way out.
I replaced the shoe mounting hardware after that one.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it. I had to use a steel punch and full size hammer and had to whack it dozens of times after heating and lubing of course. There's NO need to have them installed that tight.

posted Hide Post
On Most pistols I always find the rear sights more difficult to remove and install. that was the case with the 365 as well.

I get confused left to right; right to left is that with the slide facing away from you or toward you? I always remove sights on ejection port side and replace them on ejection port side.
I have replaced sights on each of two Sig 365 and 938 and 238 sights and have not found them overly difficult. To date I have found the most difficult sights to be on the Springfield XDS

BTW I DO use a sight push tool and highly endorse the use.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as a vehicle, look at it from the rear, facing forward. The right side is the passenger side, the left side is the driver side.

posted Hide Post
Mine mostly removed itself from right to left. Eek

Not a huge deal since primary is an optic.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post