SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hiking -- Big Bore Or 357 Small Frame?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking -- Big Bore Or 357 Small Frame? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Seeing the thread on the Model 69, after I lugged a M&P 9 Compact a few miles up and down a mountain on Sunday, I once again ponder what might make more sense for solo hiking. I re-learned that weight matters. With handheld ham radio, long antenna, spare battery, GPS unit, water, food, first aid kit, etc. 25 ounces plus a spare magazine in a waist pack added two pounds. And, 9mm only.

Being in black bear country, big bores are not required, I suppose, but 9mm is lower in energy.

So, my mind returned to my long-ago sold Ruger Alaskan. Perfect frame size for my XXL hands. Not so good on weight at 45 ounces. Model 69 -- 34 ounces. 329 NG -- 29 ounces, about the same as the M&P compact.

My Ruger LCR 357 is 17 ounces. It packs smaller. It is less noticeable if carried externally. Energy higher. Harder to shoot (for me). No laser. But, green hi-viz front sight. G10 grip.

I'm thinking LCR for occasional hikes. Any opposing views?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think a Sig P229 in 40 or 357 Sig would work.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy with the Model 69. I agree, weight definitely matters. I carry a .357 (3" SP101) in Black Bear country, and an airweight .38+p (1 7/8" Model 360J) in places where I don't have to worry about those. The Model 69 is for trips out west where the big stuff lives. The gear needs to match the environment...especially if it means adding weight.

Depends how big your black bears get, but I'd be comfortable in eastern black bear country with your LCR, especially if you're employing smart bear-country hiking practices. For me, a gun is really a last ditch option for bears. Common sense avoidance techniques are really the first and most effective defense. If you get to the point where you are using a handgun on a bear, things have already gone very wrong on numerous levels.

I imagine I'm probably more likely going to need to shoot a meth-head than a bear out on the trail...but I also never want to be in a position where a bear is chewing on my leg and I'm wishing I brought enough gun.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve been of a similar mindset, appreciate reasonable weight. I own a few ‘big bore’ types, but most often carry a light CC type guns
Into the woods.

Just cuz a black bear may be in the woods, no reason to lug a howitzer. I would make exception if near Yellowstone or up in AK.

Last I was out, the 340PD came with. Other times my p2000sk in 40 is a nice carry.

One last option is a chest holster with a heavier gun. It’s easier with the weight spread out, accessible too.

Posts: 6164 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an informed opinion .... just what I do... I have an older, beater Glock 21 that I worked on so it will handle 45 Super. Underwood and Buffalo Bore offer some fairly impressive loads. I can still shoot plain old (cheaper) 45 ACP when I'm just messing around at the range.
If it gets scratched or dinged?? Who cares it's just another old Glock, but it is as reliable as a semi-auto can get. Btw ,I live in Idaho with almost no grizzlies in the area.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I haven't been hiking in forever, sad to say, but unless I was going some place with a high chance of encountering dangerous animals, I'd choose the 9x19 and not give it a second thought. I would choose a G19 or G26, carrying 1 or 2 spare mags, respectively, for a total of 30 rounds of +P 124 grain hollowpoints- Gold Dots or Federal HST.

Any predator you're likely to encounter will be of your own species.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107603 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles, in 9mm / 357 and 45ACP / 45LC. After trying various other woods guns, I find the Convertibles cover all the bases.
Practice and plink with 9mm / 38 or 45ACP and carry Underwood full power ammo in the woods. If I go semi auto again, it will be a Glock Compact 10MM which has good power and capacity. I would get a .40 spare barrel for it for cheaper practice.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my HK45C with +P ammo

I have yet to try 45 super, but think that would be a great choice for big critters.

Just sold my G27 in .40, that was my hiking fun.

So now it's P365XL with 14+1 or HK45C

I love my MC GP100 357, but don't hike with it.

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Who posted the bear attack with a discharged firearm info before?

Of all documented bear defense cases, only 3 were unsuccessful, and those folks admitted they missed the bear or some other silly scenario, so lack of success had nothing to due with caliber.

At least 50% of defenses were with 9mm or smaller.

Majority of the attacks were Black bear but there were even successful Grizzly bear defenses with 9mm.

In Black Bear country I would have no problem carrying 9mm, if you limited yourself to a revolver because people call it a woods gun, I'd take largest diameter I could afford, but I'd definitely take a glock 19 over 5 rounds of 454 Casull in black bear country.

Look at Underwood, I know the make hard cast dangerous game ammo in many calibers, not sure if they make it in 9mm but I'm sure someone does.

ETA Maybe something similar to this:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/...reme-penetrator.html

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I live in Black bear country, and they typically range in size from cubs up to 450+ pounds. While it's true that most are afraid of humans and choose to avoid contact, the ones that are regularly exposed to human contact can become desensitized and in some cases there are documented behavioral changes. In a rare number of cases there have been predatory Black bears that have attacked humans, unprovoked. I've never had to draw on one, but whether a bluff charge or a real one, they can close on you fast if they want to. Although smaller, the same can be said for the Mountain Lions we have also, and they tend to be a bit more inclined to attack smaller humans if they can stalk them undetected. We've got moose as well, and while I've only encountered them from a distance, they factor into my carry decision as well.

When deciding what gun/ caliber I was going to choose for my wilderness carry, I agonized over .357 magnum vs. .44 magnum. I researched it and talked to others and the consensus was that .357 magum was adequate for the bears in this area, but on the hopes that I made it to Alaska, Montana, or Wyoming I didn't want to come up short and upsized to a 629 4".

In a real sense this decision of what to carry while hiking is really no different than the debate over what to carry for defensive purposes. It comes down to size and weight vs. accuracy and stability. The common trend today is for those carrying guns to opt for comfort and concealability, in the form of smaller lighter polymer striker-fired guns.

I come at the trade off decision from the opposite direction. The longer sight radius and weight of a full sized gun allows me to make faster and more accurate shots. That isn't to say that you can't do the same with a smaller lighter gun, only that it isn't nearly as easy and takes significantly more practice and rounds to achieve and maintain that level of proficiency.

Then throw in the 'complication' of wearing a backpack, even a daypack or hydration pack while rapidly drawing and firing. (jackets, gloves, add additional complications) In fact, try that some time; practice rapidly drawing, aiming, and hitting a fast moving target while wearing a pack or something with shoulder straps and imagining that it is rapidly closing with you. I was surprised by how much even a light pack affected my draw and sighting.

Obviously there are different scenarios to consider, such as whether you are sitting or laying down in a tent, vs. walking while being charged, but I'm assuming that I would likely only have time to get one or maybe two rounds off... and if I'm only going to have time to fire one or two rounds then my trade off is to carry a full sized gun in a large enough caliber that will give me a long enough sight radius and stable enough platform to make the most of those one or two rounds.

Although I haven't hiked, backpacked, or hunted recently, I used to regularly, and I fully understand the argument and need to consider how much weight we carry. A few pounds can make a real difference, and I've been guilty of overpacking and carrying too much weight on a couple of trips, especially when hiking at higher elevations and less O2 to breathe, where altitude sickness and dehydration are real possibilities. When I first got into snowshoeing I damn near killed myself plowing through deep snow with a heavy daypack + 629 rig... so I would fault no one for deciding on a smaller lighter carry rig combo... but for me I'll take a full sized gun in a caliber that is likely to have enough power to stop an attack in a platform that gives me enough stability and sight radius/ accuracy to place the one or two rounds that will likely make a difference in the outcome.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got a few different guns I've carried in the backcountry. The most recent is a Smith & Wesson 329. It fills the lightweight category but it is brutal to shoot. If it weren't for Canada's gun laws on what I can transport across the border I may have never bought it, but its barrel length is just barely long enough to be legal to transport in Canada. Prior to buying that I carried my Smith 629 Mountain Gun.

Then there's 10mm. For that I've got a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911 and a 3" Ruger GP100. I actually like the Ruger a lot and find it's size easy to carry.

Not really comfortable with a 9mm while out hiking, but then our bears are bigger than your bears. truth to tell I worry more about moose than bears.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I've got a Sig P220-10 I I tend on carrying in Montana. Along with CMMG MK10 if it fits on a hike. 30 rounds of 10MM hard cast gives me a chub compared to 5 rounds of big bore.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles, in 9mm / 357 and 45ACP / 45LC. After trying various other woods guns, I find the Convertibles cover all the bases.
Practice and plink with 9mm / 38 or 45ACP and carry Underwood full power ammo in the woods. If I go semi auto again, it will be a Glock Compact 10MM which has good power and capacity. I would get a .40 spare barrel for it for cheaper practice.

I have carried my 4 5/8" Blackhawk .45 Convertible with heavy Ruger-Only .45 Colt Loads out in Wyoming in the past, and did not feel undergunned. It's a very shootable gun, although large and heavy to pack for miles.

I prefer .45 Colt to .44 Mag, but the gun I want nobody makes. A 5 shot, scandium-framed L-Frame in .45 Colt with a 3" barrel, and a steel cylinder cut for moon clips. Basically, my model 69, but scandium instead of steel and chambered in .45 Colt. IMO, such a gun would give you good packability in a potent cartridge without the brutal recoil of the .44 Magnum, yet more potential the the .44 special. Add to that the ability to load it with moon-clipped .45 ACP, and you have an excellent all-around defensive revolver.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I've got a Sig P220-10 I I tend on carrying in Montana. Along with CMMG MK10 if it fits on a hike. 30 rounds of 10MM hard cast gives me a chub compared to 5 rounds of big bore.

The 629 4" rig I mentioned was carried in a bandolier rig with spare ammo (a mix of jacketed TMC and snake loads stored in cartridge loops, with an additional loaded speed loader stowed, and while I don't remember the exact total weight, the whole shebang was @ 4.5 -5 lbs.

What does your carry gear weigh-in at?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

The 629 4" rig I mentioned was carried in a bandolier rig with spare ammo (a mix of jacketed TMC and snake loads stored in cartridge loops, with an additional loaded speed loader stowed, and while I don't remember the exact total weight, the whole shebang was @ 4.5 -5 lbs.

What does your carry gear weigh-in at?

I see now where it seems like I'm going in like a Commando...not at all, I'd take the P220-10 over a 5 shot revolver, or pack the CMMG Mk10 over say, a lever action big bore. I didn't mean for it to sound like I head of into the woods looking like I'm hunting the fucking Predator. Sorry MDS, hope I clarified my position. I'm just trying to advocate more smaller caliber rounds over larger for the given circumstances.

From personal experience though, I've never gotten a benefit from snake rounds, I can and have dispatched many a moccasin with FMJ just the same and anything else, and only pack a spare mag in my pack if on a 3 day hike. If I'm against large game, I'm not John Wick'ing it, if I got time to reload then it's down.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry MDS, hope I clarified my position.

No worries, different strokes for different folks. Smile

Different outdoor scenarios might require carrying different gear. I think we're getting lost in some terminology. It looks like you distinguish between a hike and a 3 day trip and whether you might encounter snakes or larger critters. My gear and pack changes for these different length trips, but my carry rig stays the same. Where I hike, backpack, camp, hunt, or fish, its possible to come across rattlers, bears, cats, or moose, so one rig for whatever tries to bite me, and just carry a couple different loads. If hunting then I include a loaded long gun with spare ammo along with everything else.

My day pack for a day hike with no planned overnight, depending on time of year, usually weighs @ 30lbs. + 80 oz. of water + carry rig. My 3 day pack with full camping + fishing gear is @ 75 lbs. + 112 oz. water + carry rig.. probably too much water but at these elevations there are real concerns about altitude sickness and dehydration so I focus on regular hydration and suck down the agua.

It sounds like your 3 day pack is much lighter than mine and that you are in good condition, so if you feel the need to carry the additional gun and ammo then it obviously doesn't impact your mobility and you can pull it off.

Except for hunting, my 629 rig + spare ammo is as much as I want or need at 8- 12 K' elevation , whether for day hikes or 3 day trips..although I'll pack more firepower if 4 wheeling.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely right, I edited my post I hopes to not sound all-knowing.

First time I went on a weekend hike in Florifa my pack was 70 lbs and we were dead lol. Learned a lot on multiple hikes after and now I'm 30 lbs tops. I'm sure once I experience Montana or similar northern climates I'll learn to adapt to the elements and wildlife accordingly so I don't want to sound like I know anything other than Southern outdoors.

I may very well eat my words and I concede that. But I'm currently more confident in 10mm than a large bore revolver or lever action, at the same time own both large bore lever action and revolver in addition to multiple 10mm. So all my internet research will be put tk the test at some point Smile

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A common scenario is concealed carry on the way to the outing. That’s a reason the CC gun ends up in the woods.

I guess one could have the ‘woods gun’ available as you traveled to the woods. That travel could be 30 minutes or a two day drive West to go elk hunting.

Posts: 6164 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've realized the same factor is applied to hiking guns as is hiking gear in general... light weight and good quality is the thing to consider.

I've had "heavy weight" handguns, like a 4" model19 .357, a Ruger Bisley Flattop in .44spl, and my SAA Colt in .45LC. All did the job but the weight is a bit much especially if you are doing some miles hiking.

I"ve switched over the years to either a Glock 27 or a 36. I use Buffalo Bore hardcast in all the mentioned firearms.

The light weight of the Glocks makes all the difference, and they both shoot very well with the BB ammo. The G36 using the 45acp +P Outdoorsman load shoots nice tight groups.

So to answer your question, I personally think if you shoot whatever pistol you have on hand well and it's light weight then that's the one for you. Get some good ammo that gives good penetration and doesn't break up and you should be good to go if a big hairy critter decides to gnaw on you.

Also, in all the years I've hunted in PA, NJ, NY, VT and ME, I've run into black bears frequently and never had a problem. With that said, my wife & I did have a problem twice with 2 legged assholes on the Appalachian Trail in VT, so be aware and stay safe.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2.5-inch fixed sight S&W Model 629 in 44 magnum if I was worried about big predators, or a Model 12 Airweight with 38 Special FBI loads for the two-legged variety. For those unfamiliar, the Model 12 is an aluminum K-frame with 6 rounds that weighs less than a steel J-frame. Both are very light and compact for the punch they pack.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post