SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Whatever happened to the P227?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whatever happened to the P227? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As a long time classic SIG fan and owner of three P227, the reasons I got rid of mine were:

- the 14 round magazine was a joke. With others you get 14 rounds without extending below the grip
- those damn grip screws. the E2 could have been implemented with threaded grip mounts but someone decided to save 10 cents. Then SIG stopped selling the inserts. Lose one and your only choice is to buy a set of grips from Hogue.
- even the 10 round mags weren't very good/polished. Not really a double stack more of a staggered magazine. And finding them became hard.

My P220/45/10s are more than good at 8+1 vs 10+1. Many of us have been hoping for a proper double stack 10mm that is as good as the P226. SIG likely isn't going to do that. The problem with small vocal fans are they keep you in (commercial) business buying 10 guns. The problem with late release is by then people figured out different solutions. I waited and waited for the R2 but now use SROs. If the P320/10 comes out, I've bought RIA/Glocks already at this point.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
Not really a double stack more of a staggered magazine.

It’s an interesting coincidence that you make that comment because It’s something I was thinking about just recently.

It has long been the practice to refer to common magazines that don’t confine the cartridges to a single column as “double column” or “double stack.” That goes back to at least the Browning P-35 Hi Power, and continues to this day in magazines like the P320’s and innumerable others. That sort of makes sense because, well, they aren’t single column or single stack mags. The problem with that terminology, though, is that such magazines don’t really hold the cartridges in two separate columns or stacks with the cartridges fully side by side. They hold the rounds in a staggered fashion in which the cartridges overlap each other. This is easy to see in most AR-15 and similar rifle magazines. Because they are staggered, I refer to such magazines as having “staggered” columns.

Part of the reason for the rounds to overlap in the magazine is that allowing them to fit side by side like toilet paper rolls or soda cans in their packages would increase the width of the magazine and therefore the width of the pistol grip. That might be acceptable in a 9mm pistol like a P226, for example, if the frame and grip panels were made thin enough, but I can’t imagine it in a pistol chambered for 45 ACP. Even with its staggered thin-walled metal magazine and thin frame and grip panels, the overall grip of a pistol like the 9mm P226 is somewhat bulky, and certainly thicker than most 1911s’, for example. If the P227’s magazine were a true double stack design, it would make holding the gun like grasping a beer can (slight exaggeration, but I believe you get the point). Staggering and overlapping the cartridges in the magazine is the only way the P227 grip could be an ergonomic success.

But wait, there’s more: Even when the overall width of the magazine wouldn’t constrain how the cartridges are positioned inside, e.g., the AR mag, I believe that positioning them side by side in the mag tube would make proper feeding very problematic. In pistol magazines it’s most common for the tube to narrow at the top and thereby move the top round to the center where it can be chambered properly by the action of the slide. Would that work well if the lower cartridges were being pushed up side by side? I doubt it. Even rifle magazines that don’t narrow at the top still have staggered columns of cartridges so that only one round at a time is positioned to be chambered by the bolt.

Perhaps I misunderstood the above comment, but yes, the P227 does have staggered column magazines, as do most pistols these days, because a true double stack magazine with the rounds side by side without overlapping would, I believe, be unworkable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Popped a Match upper half on mine and still love it. E2s actually work well for me on that pistol, but then again I haven't tried to swap the grips since the pistol works great for me as it came from the factory.

As to it's demise, I would point out that SIG isn't even trying to sell P320s in .45. My WAG, FWLIW, is that the demand for the caliber just wasn't there.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Colt_saa, that's good info! Thanks for sharing. Will P320 .45 mags work in a P227 if you swap the baseplates?
I have never tried it personally

While it is obviously the same magazine body when you look at them side by side. I have been led to believe that the magazine catch cutouts are placed just a little differently even though it looks like it should work.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Considering existing competitors already had 13 round mags (G21, XD/XDM45), SIG was a day late and a dollar short releasing the 227 (just like the 224).

This is a common theme with SIG. They had the P365-380 ready last April, but waited until February to start shipping them. They still don't have the P320 out in 10mm, even though Glock and Springfield have had them for years, and now Smith & Wesson has one on the market. They even admitted they had developed the P320 before the P250, but decided to release the P250 first. They still refuse to make a railless P320/P250 compact, carry, or full-size frame.

SIG does a lot of innovative things, but they're often slow to compete on products that many of their customers want, which loses them sales to their competitors, and that causes them to waste a lot of R&D dollars on products where their competitors have beaten them to the market.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
www.gunbroker.com -

I see many P227's there so if someone did want one it wouldn't be that expensive compared to most metal SIG Classics at least for now.

edited: thanks for the help Q, I wasn't aware and then I read it and I still didn't see that so maybe my comprehension just isn't there,

I changed the link to just the front page for gunbroker if you put in "P227" you'll see a number of auctions at $800s - $1200s basically

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:

Might want to check this thread, https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1730014194
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...Along those lines, please do not post any links to active auctions...

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Saw a very clean P227 for $799 in the LGS today, which made me do a search for them and then led to this thread. I have four P220s and LOVE them all to pieces. I've been looking for an excuse to get a P227, but this thread makes it hard for me to "pull the trigger." I have a stainless slide USP in .45 I'm not in love with. So maybe I could sell that to free up space in the safe for this P227. They're all over the map on Gunbroker - lots of beaters for big money and I'm just not sure what a good price on these is.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Saw a very clean P227 for $799 in the LGS today.... They're all over the map on Gunbroker - lots of beaters for big money and I'm just not sure what a good price on these is.

I'd say given how nuts prices are these days, that doesn't seem to be a terrible price.

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post