SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Way to carry moon clips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way to carry moon clips? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Anyone found a decent way to carry moon clips for concealed carry? I recently bought a 3" Ruger GP100 in 10mm and I really like the gun. Just trying to figure out a way to carry moon clips for reloads. The loaded clips sink down inside my El Paso Saddlery speed loaded pouches and are not quick to get out. I like the looks of Matt DelFatti's pouches but his wait time is forever and a half.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can find them again but I know I saw something recently that looked essentially like a shallow cup that went over the front end of the rounds on a moon that only went up about half way up the case or so. They seemed to make it easy to put in a pocket while at the same time coming off easily when you pull it out of your pocket or even staying in your pocket when you pull out the loaded moon clip. Now I just have to remember who makes it and where I saw it. You could also use individual speedloader pouches but may not be as quick or handy as the "fall away cup".

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
These are what I was talking about but not sure if they make them in .40/10mm:

https://www.amazon.com/Del-Fat...121&s=gateway&sr=8-9

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Nope? lol

I have a couple nylon belt pouch (maybe made for loose 22LR ammo?)

Years ago Rob sent me a "pouch" (really just a cover) where you put the clip over your belt, 3 rounds IWB, 3 round OWB and the leather went around it. Semi hid it and held it in place. Not perfect.

ETA: This seems to be his updated version: https://www.simplyrugged.com/e...em_id=154&parent=671

He also makes these.
https://www.simplyrugged.com/e...em_id=547&parent=671

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.revolversupply.com/moon-clip-holders

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
These are the ones that I use for my S&W 625
Set of 2 for $18 at Dillon.
https://www.dillonprecision.co...2-ea_8_24_25113.html

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

They are not easy to find. I like the Simply Rugged one cas mentioned above, and bought two of them. With the front notch, you can grab the clip with one finger in front and another in the hole in the middle of the clip. It comes out quickly while still being held tightly enough for carry.

You can tell them in the comments section of the order form to mold them for 10mm which makes them fit without slop.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
From 4wheelguns.com

Dependent on post length, you can carry two moon clips stacked. Wear in front of holster if you strong hand load, or on your weak hip if you weak hand load.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I know you stated moon clips, but have you looked at the Neomag RASC? Might fit your needs. https://theneomag.com/product/rasc/

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Moon clips would seem a bit awkward to carry. What about speed strips?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Soaring Hawk
posted Hide Post
TK Custom has moon clip holders available.

Posts: 1180 | Registered: March 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I'm not a serious revolver guy. If the cylinder is cut for moon clips, won't the 10mm rounds sit too deep if he just dropped them in off of a speed strip?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I'm not a serious revolver guy. If the cylinder is cut for moon clips, won't the 10mm rounds sit too deep if he just dropped them in off of a speed strip?

No they won't sit too deep, they chamber on the edge of the case. They will fire without the moonclips. It's just extracting the empty cases becomes a pain in the ass since without the clip, there's nothing for the extractor to act on.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
lol I assumed you meant "carry".

People are posting "race gun" stuff, of which there are several good options if that's what you're really after.

I don't know what's out there for 10mm. With 45 half moon and "1/3 moon" is also an option. And still very frustrating.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Anyone found a decent way to carry moon clips for concealed carry? ...........

There isn't one. Carry a gun that uses magazines.

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
lol I assumed you meant "carry".

People are posting "race gun" stuff, of which there are several good options if that's what you're really after.

I don't know what's out there for 10mm. With 45 half moon and "1/3 moon" is also an option. And still very frustrating.

I have a 941, and I have never found anything better than a pocket for the moon clips. Use them until they're too bent, replace. I do have some of the speedloader carriers, but those aren't for CCW as noted.

quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Anyone found a decent way to carry moon clips for concealed carry? ...........

There isn't one. Carry a gun that uses magazines.

Sir.

"Carry a gun that uses magazines" is not a helpful comment. Kindly either try to assist a fellow member with information, or stow that shit.

No need to go out of ones way to be rude.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing Jeff Quinn firing a Ruger Blackhawk with its 45 acp cylinder installed. For reloading he used a Colt 1911 magazine loaded with 45 acp rounds and simply "thumbed" them into the empty cylinders. While not a speed loader in the traditional sense, it would be a flat option to securely and discreetly carry 8 or 9 rounds of ammo in a Colt 1911 or S&W 1006 mag. Just a thought.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I remember seeing Jeff Quinn firing a Ruger Blackhawk with its 45 acp cylinder installed. For reloading he used a Colt 1911 magazine loaded with 45 acp rounds and simply "thumbed" them into the empty cylinders. While not a speed loader in the traditional sense, it would be a flat option to securely and discreetly carry 8 or 9 rounds of ammo in a Colt 1911 or S&W 1006 mag. Just a thought.

Simply, No.

The Blackhawk is a single action revolver with a loading gate. This is entirely different and slower than speed loaders or moon clips.

Guys, if you don't know, don't guess.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I’m going to wade in here because I think some horrible advice is being given. Carrying moonclips in your pocket is a really bad idea. They will bend eventually and you will figure out that your gun is all bound up at the worst possible time. Watch a guy struggle with moonclips that aren’t flat. It ain’t pretty. You won’t know they are bent till it’s too late. Don’t go down this road willingly.

Moonclips are basically for comp unless you have a good way to carry them. Pockets aren’t that.
Speedloaders or strips are better options. Unless you like rolling the proverbial dice.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post