SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 In 10mm recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 In 10mm recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Would like one for messing around in the woods and maybe short range deer hunting. Looking at the Springfield Ronin because the price is right. Don't want to spend Wilson combat money if I can help it.

Ronin looks good and about $800. Reliable and accurate?
Ruger?
Dan Wesson but price is about double?
Not sure I would like a 220. Really would prefer a 1911

I will have to get an ambi safety since I'M a lefty.

What would you recommend?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7974 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rock Island Armory 1911 10mm gets good reviews and is priced right. Might be a good option to get your 10mm feet wet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16194 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ruger 1911 in 10mm has functioned with a flaw. Like it but mine has "target sights" which I consider inadequate for woods or self defense. Contacted Ruger in an effort to get more useful sights and they seem disinterested. The target sights can not be easily substituted with commercial night sights. In my opinion a design flaw. All that said really like the gun. Have a different 1911 longslide with an RMR for hunting.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1578 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using a Kimber Stainless II for a couple years now. After the first 20rds it has been flawless. My only 10mm, and only 1911, so I’ve nothing to compare it with.

I’ve run everything from 165HP to 200fmj and plenty of stuff in between. I’ve used Kimber OEM, SIG, and welded base Metalform mags. All of which are good to go.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5187 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d get the sig or Ruger. I have a friend with a rock island and I’m less than impressed with the quality. His slide is peening where the slide stop is. Maybe it’s just that example but still a psa for me. And kimber is just a polished turd. They were great back in the day but they are cheaply made, built to look super nice but you can do much, much better

Posts: 3378 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Kimber. My Custom Eclipse II has worked fine for twenty years or so.

Consider shopping around for a used one if you are inclined to do so.

I managed to find an six inch STI 2011 in 10mm at a Dan Wesson price point.

Posts: 9223 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The SIG P220 auto loader, when chambered for the 10MM auto cartridge, is only offered in a 5" barrel configuration at this moment. It is a superb firearm, if a 5" gun fills your needs

For long range accuracy and power, I am verry partial to the Witness Hunter.

The pistol has adjustable sights so that you can dial in your favorite hunting load at whatever your favorite distance is. If you are not a fan of the front sight it is easily interchangeable. The firearm is absolutely fantastic, it is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount if you want to go that route and what is the best thing is that this gun carries 16 rounds of 10MM auto ammunition 15+1

The downside is that European American Armory no longer imports or sells any of the Witness firearms, so it's quite probable that the used prices are starting to climb due to the lack of availability

So if I were looking at something that was commercially being manufactured at this moment I would probably buy one of the Ivor Johnson 6" long slides. With variations of finish, porting and other things there are about eight or 10 to choose from with MSRP ranging from $900-$1,800 these are a very good value

For myself, quite a few years back, I built a 6" long slide 1911 chambered for the 10MM auto cartridge. I actually call this firearm THOR and I really like it

I built this firearm with an Aristocrat rear site. This allows for three different settings of the site picture to be locked in simultaneously and chosen with just a quick turn of a screw

Yes I am a big fan of the 10MM Auto cartridge and have been since around 1990

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5198 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Colt Delta Elite?

Posts: 6665 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Colt Delta Elite?
I have never owned a Delta Elite but I do have a stainless Delta Gold Cup.

This one is right about thirty five years old now

However I do kind of prefer the 6 inch long slide for this cartridge

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5198 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Here is the one I bought secondhand:

Posts: 9223 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m a Dan Wesson fanboy, and enjoy my Razorback 10mm. However if this pistol is for defense, I strongly recommend a pistol with a light rail, and use a weapon mounted light.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to decide between the Springfield Ronin, Magnum Research 1911 10mm (made by Bul Armory) and the Kimber Stainless II. All of them seem like solid choices, but knowing me I'll take the safest route possible and get a gen 5 Glock 20 or 40 MOS and slap a Holosun SCS on it.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 591 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I’m a Dan Wesson fanboy, and enjoy my Razorback 10mm. However if this pistol is for defense, I strongly recommend a pistol with a light rail, and use a weapon mounted light.

I also have a Razorback (pre-CZ) as well as a Wilson Combat and Fusion, all in 10mm. No doubt there is a quality difference between the Wilcon Combat and the others, but the WC is also more expensive. For quality and value for the dollar, the Dan Wesson Razorback is tough to beat.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield Ronin in 10mm that has been very solid. Comes with a fiber optic front sight which isn't my favorite, but that is a minor personal gripe. So far it's fed fine out of every brand of magazine I've tried in it. That is good because while I have a fairly massive stack of 45acp mags, 10mm mags are a bit rarer in these parts.

Even with some fairly warm loads it isn't particularly unpleasant to shoot. Blast is worse than the recoil. Honestly with the real 10mm power level loads it feels like an aluminum frame Commander shooting +p 45acp. Snappy, but not painful.

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm that I absolutely love. Was having issues with bulged cases when I first bought it. Sent back to the factory under warranty and they installed a ramped barrel. Have had no issues with it since. Fit and finish are fantastic and I prefer the plain flats to the slide. Definitely go with a higher poundage recoil spring if you're going to be using heavy loads.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11813 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I picked up a Kimber GFO from sportsman warehouse for $650.

Once you polish ramp, chamber, & breech, and finish deburring the innards...it's accurate and works.

Posts: 208 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you polish ramp, chamber, & breech, and finish deburring the innards...it's accurate and works.

True

Posts: 5710 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I have a Springfield Ronin in 10mm that has been very solid. Comes with a fiber optic front sight which isn't my favorite, but that is a minor personal gripe. So far it's fed fine out of every brand of magazine I've tried in it. That is good because while I have a fairly massive stack of 45acp mags, 10mm mags are a bit rarer in these parts.

Even with some fairly warm loads it isn't particularly unpleasant to shoot. Blast is worse than the recoil. Honestly with the real 10mm power level loads it feels like an aluminum frame Commander shooting +p 45acp. Snappy, but not painful.

I like my Ronin as well. As you may guess I like the name lol

Posts: 7819 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
No issues with a Rock Tac II.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 799 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on your budget....Guncrafter makes some awesome 10mm 1911s. As does Les Baer

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 322 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post