SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Quick question on the 365 and high pressure ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick question on the 365 and high pressure ammo Login/Join 
posted
I currently use Underwood 147 gr +p+ gold dots for self defense and the same in solid flat tip for critters in the woods.

Glock 26 happily eats this stuff.

If not being used as a strict diet, will the 365 handle these pressures?

I know this is not the most popular ammo. But.......Reasons.

Thank you all

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although it’s a common misconception, chamber pressure per se isn’t what batters a gun like the P365. As long as the gun is strong enough to contain the pressure without blowing up, what matters more is slide velocity, and that’s largely dependent upon the momentum force of the projectile due to Newton’s third law relating to equal and opposites.

A simple way of just comparing the momentum of different projectiles is to multiply their weight times velocity, and then converting that figure to “power factor” (PF) by dividing it by 1000.

According to Underwood, both 147 grain +P+ loads have a muzzle velocity of 1175 fps, giving a PF of ~173, which is pretty high. I can’t find their barrel length(s), but even assuming that the MV out of a P365 were down at 1100, the PF would be 162.

The hottest ammunition I’ve measured from my P365 was Speer Gold Dot +P 124 grain hollow point that ran about 1130 fps, for a power factor of about 140. With a PF about 16 percent higher for the Underwood load, I would consider that significant. If the decision were mine, I would be leery of shooting much of the higher power load in a P365, if for no other reason than recoil. That obviously depends on the individual, though.

On the other hand, will the gun handle it? If other guns like the P320 can handle that load without blowing up or failing in a spectacular manner requiring removal of teeth from the slide after the shot, I suspect that the P365 will as well. Underwood would not sell that ammo if that were a common complaint.
As for the recoil, I strongly doubt that it could be worse than firing full power 357 Magnum loads from a revolver with scandium alloy frame. (I did that once.)

What velocity do you get for the load from the Glock 26? And if I could handle the load in a gun like that, I’d probably be able to handle it in P365, especially with a longer grip.

The only way, of course, to answer your question is through actual testing. I doubt that you’ll find many YouTube videos addressing it, so if you decide to do it yourself, please come back and let us know how it turns out. Smile

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lot, so use BPLE in my XL, but not the 3.1” original 365 because of the short barrel. BPLE isn’t very high pressured, but no problems so far.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Although it’s a common misconception, chamber pressure per se isn’t what batters a gun like the P365. As long as the gun is strong enough to contain the pressure without blowing up, what matters more is slide velocity, and that’s largely dependent upon the momentum force of the projectile due to Newton’s third law relating to equal and opposites.

A simple way of just comparing the momentum of different projectiles is to multiply their weight times velocity, and then converting that figure to “power factor” (PF) by dividing it by 1000.

According to Underwood, both 147 grain +P+ loads have a muzzle velocity of 1175 fps, giving a PF of ~173, which is pretty high. I can’t find their barrel length(s), but even assuming that the MV out of a P365 were down at 1100, the PF would be 162.

The hottest ammunition I’ve measured from my P365 was Speer Gold Dot +P 124 grain hollow point that ran about 1130 fps, for a power factor of about 140. With a PF about 16 percent higher for the Underwood load, I would consider that significant. If the decision were mine, I would be leery of shooting much of the higher power load in a P365, if for no other reason than recoil. That obviously depends on the individual, though.

On the other hand, will the gun handle it? If other guns like the P320 can handle that load without blowing up or failing in a spectacular manner requiring removal of teeth from the slide after the shot, I suspect that the P365 will as well. Underwood would not sell that ammo if that were a common complaint.
As for the recoil, I strongly doubt that it could be worse than firing full power 357 Magnum loads from a revolver with scandium alloy frame. (I did that once.)

What velocity do you get for the load from the Glock 26? And if I could handle the load in a gun like that, I’d probably be able to handle it in P365, especially with a longer grip.

The only way, of course, to answer your question is through actual testing. I doubt that you’ll find many YouTube videos addressing it, so if you decide to do it yourself, please come back and let us know how it turns out. Smile

Thank you for the informative reply. I figured the 365 would be built to handle higher pressure rounds.

I've never checked the velocity of this ammo from my 26. Recoil from this ammo from the 26 is no issue, but I never really got along with the short grip on the 26. My hands are meaty and on the larger side so I use GAP floor plates on my mags(I think that"s what they are called. They are out of business I believe) or Gee Plate bases on my mags and Grip Force beaver tail adapters. They add virtually no size to the gun but serve to lock my hand onto the grip. Because of this recoil is very manageable.

I have not bought the gun yet but I am looking. I'll report back if and when I get one.

Thank you for the detailed response.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I have a lot, so use BPLE in my XL, but not the 3.1” original 365 because of the short barrel. BPLE isn’t very high pressured, but no problems so far.

Thank you for the info. I have also used BPLE in the past and it does have a snap to it.

Some of the most recoil I have experienced from a 9mm is the Speer Gold Dot 115 gr +P+. Also some first run 147 grain +P ammo a friend gave me. He worked for a reloading outfit in San Diego and they were working up a new load supposedly for the SDPD to use as range ammo. This was in the mid 1990's

The folks on the indoor range I worked at accused me of not telling the truth when asked what the heck I was shooting and I told them a 9mm Smile