SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 - what are you using for defensive ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 - what are you using for defensive ammo? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Someone mentioned avoid using Critical Defense loads. Why? I've never used them but hear they have a good reputation. Please clarify.

Critical Defense is Hornady's line intended for personal protection. They tend to be lighter bullets loaded to lower velocities than their Critical Duty ammo.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Winchester Silver Tips in 147 grain.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Federal HST 147's

Posts: 1735 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using speer 147gr G2s. I've shot almost a case of it through my 365 without issue. I'll probably go to the standard gold dot or Federal HST due to cost concerns.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Critical Defense is Hornady's line intended for personal protection. They tend to be lighter bullets loaded to lower velocities than their Critical Duty ammo.

What I read from Hornady's website is that Critical Duty ammo is for full-size duty guns, whereas Critical Defense is for smaller pistols..... I might have that reversed..... Age is getting on to me! LOL

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I am the odd guy out on this one…

Because of the attached data I carry the Barnes 115gr TAC-XPD +P round. I have fired over 100 rounds each through both of our two P365’s and both have run without and issues - and this round groups well in both pistols….I know the penetration is not as good as the HST’s. You will also notice the velocity is lower and as a result these DO NOT shoot like a +P round….

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...ballistic-tests/#9mm

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We issue Critical Duty for both our P320's (a bunch) and our P 365's (some specialty units). No problems with it in four years of issue.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold dot 124 +P short barrel ammo.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal HST 124 gr. +P.

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Someone mentioned avoid using Critical Defense loads. Why? I've never used them but hear they have a good reputation. Please clarify.

Critical defense was not designed to pass the FBI testing protocol. It pretty much sucks in 9MM. Minimal expansion and minimal penetration, sometimes less than 12 inches or barely meeting 12 inches.

Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST are the top three and out perform most other brands.

One exception - In .380 ammo, Hornady Critical Defense is a top load. Its as good as or better than anything else.

Id avoid critical defense in all calibers except .380.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Whatever work has. So right now Ranger +P in 124gr. We have more on order as well as 147gr HST

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly either 124gr +p gold dot or hst. Have carried 147 hst some, as well. When in woods or wilderness areas, sometimes carry 147+p underwood hardcast.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal Hydrashok Deep. Hard to find but a real performer in the P365s.

Posts: 271 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot with a firm grip and have found that my P365 shoots to a combat sight picture dead on for elevation with a 147 grain bullet. So I carry a 147 grain Speer Gold Dot G2 when I can find it and a 135 grain Hornady Critical Duty if I can't find the Speer. BTW, my practice load is a 147 grain plated bullet over 4.9 gains of Vihtavouri 3N37 which is a ballistic match for the Speer Gold Dot load.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
150gr HST for short barreled pistols was my load of choice for my secondary G43. Then later with the Walther PPS M2 and SIG P365 as I migrated to those in that respective sequential order as my choices for the secondary carry role continued to evolve. But the 150gr load has been harder to reliably source over the last couple of years when I again changed my secondary gun, this time to the S&W Shield+. Also this time around I've been restocking with 147gr HSTs as the 150gr has been rotated out (being shot off over time).

-MG

Posts: 2016 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post