SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Plastic Surgery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plastic Surgery Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been wanting to do some contouring of different parts of my polymer pistols (Glock and Hk). Which tools are you using with the most success to remove material while leaving a smooth surface behind?

Posts: 14 | Location: TN | Registered: February 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No such tool. You will remove the material in whatever manner you choose, usually a dremel or sandpaper, and then you will have to go back over that area with something smoother until it is the appearance you prefer.

However you remove material basically will look "rough" compared to stock. This appearance is improved by sanding or using eraser blocks (not erasers per se but those fine sanding things).

Some have said that a fine oiling afterwards takes down the whiteness and looks better. Google and you will see many methodologies.

I wish there was a one step way to do it but I am not aware of any.

Good luck, measure twice cut once, take your time, you can't put anything back, never look directly at the sun, etc. etc. Post pics when done.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I removed the finger grooves on my G19(3gen)...
Then I stippled the entire front strap with a soldering iron.
Then it was perfect.

Then Glock pushed out two more generations...guess they figured out the finger groove thing.

So I didn’t have to sand it to plastic goodness, I’d remove the area that is bothering you with a dremel or sand paper and then maybe try just running a lighter over the area to smooth out the sanded area.

REMEMBER, less is more, it’s real easy to remove more material, but there is no way to put it back. Take your time. Sand a little and then try the heat to see how it goes, if it doesn’t work try a different procedure before you have removed up all the material you want.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Traded into a Gen2 G22 for cheap. It needed to be destippled and refinished. Dremeled the stuff off and rounded off the trigger guard. Painted the deeper stipple holes and sanded it all down. Looks good on a carbine.

A Dremel, sandpaper, patience, and a soldering iron would just about cover your plasticity of plastic.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took off the dingus on the lower front strap of my 19x so I could run gen5 mags. Dremel, and while far from mangled, looks were not my biggest concern. Tools get used and modified. All my guns have scratches and wear marks. Like crows feet, they add "character".

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do Dremel for moving the big stuff, progressively higher sand paper or files to get it the rest of the way and meguiars polishing compound to buff it. Gives it a finished look.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
I've heard fine sand paper (600+ grit) + a little spray of WD-40 does wonders in removing the white plastic appearance and restore the original color of the polymer. No idea why, but I tried it on my gray P940C frame and it worked.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
usually a dremel or sandpaper,

I only use a LOW SPEED cordless Dremel with sanding drums. My corded Dremel on lowest speed is just too fast, causing slips to magnify.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give it a try this weekend and post pictures of the finished product or pictures from the ER.

Posts: 14 | Location: TN | Registered: February 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post