SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    It's that time of year again! Sigforum, pick my vacation gun.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's that time of year again! Sigforum, pick my vacation gun. Login/Join 
posted
I know I'm not the only guy who does this. Every time we go on vacation, whether it's a overnight trip or a week long beach vacation. I ponder what gun should I take this time? Over and over again. A couple of years ago, I brought it to the forum, and I am here again.

I will be travelling with my family (wife and two kids, and both sets of grandparents) to the Outer Banks in the near future. We are driving and staying in VA at the halfway point overnight. I will have a small safe with a cable lock for beach time.

Thanks in advance for your participation. Feel free to comment on your travel set ups.
Here are the options:

Question:
Which gun(s) should I carry?

Choices:
P228 and P238
P228 and G43
G19 and G43
P224 and p238
P239 or P224 only (just one)
P226 and P224
Other (mp 2.0, p320, g30s, xds.... please explain)

Question:
In the past I have travelled with an AR pistol and a few mags in a secret compartment in our vehicle which is secured with lock and key. It is carried in a Wilson tennis racket case and is brought into the hotel or beach house. I get that its overkill and we aren't going to Afghanistan, so I would probably leave it this time around.

The question is, do you ever travel with a rifle or AR pistol?

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What gun do you normally carry as an EDC?

That's the correct answer.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
What gun do you normally carry as an EDC?

That's the correct answer.

Yeah that would be my vote too. But I’m not a BBQ gun or carry rotation kind of guy either.

I do carry a rifle with me when I go out of town.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15260 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean I get the fact that when you go on vacation, you might want to carry something more discreet, to enjoy things a bit more.

In those cases, I'd bring my EDC (G19) for the trip and locked in the vacation home, then have either of my discreet carry guns (LCP/J-frame).

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don’t do a carry rotation. If I find a pistol that I shoot better than my current EDC, I switch and don’t go back. Even though I’m a proponent of being a good shooter translates across platforms, I always find one pistol that has a slight edge over others. I’m a big guy but not fat and don’t do tight fitting clothes. So I carry the biggest gun I can comfortably and shoot well, both winter and summer. For me that’s the P320 Carry.

So my answer is: whatever you normally carry. If you normally rotate, well I can’t help you. I fundamentally disagree with your approach to carrying.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1862 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
For me- Glock 26 all day everyday, especially in hot weather. Throw in some extra Glock 19/17 mags and you pretty much have the handgun role covered.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
G19 and G26 if you've got one.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
My EDC went from the G26, to the G43, but now I'm carrying a P365. Each time I transitioned to the smaller pistol, I took a class with it to learn the nuances of the new gun. Having just put the P365 into service, I learned a lot in a skills & drills class about my capabilities (very accurate) and deficiencies (slower to get a grip and draw the gun than the Glocks) with the new gun.

I HIGHLY recommend you take a good training class with whatever you decide to carry!

I can also recommend the P365 without hesitation...small size, very accurate and controllable, and now, with the new 15 round magazine, you can run it with the same ammo capacity as a G19

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great replies so far. I'm surprised by how many people carry a rifle or AR pistol while travelling.

My EDC is a P226 in .40. I have to carry that for work, and am frequently on call so it just ends up riding with me almost all of the time. It's a bit much for shorts and a t-shirt, so I figure it can have a vacation as well and relax in the safe. I rotate guns pretty frequently but the p228 or G19 have typically been my go to guns. However, my p239 and p224 have gained some favor in recent months. I shoot all of them sufficiently, so it's not really an issue.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
EDC.
And the AR in the hidden spot sounds just right.

Only time I do anything different is when I know I will be in the woods. I then add the G20 and a shotgun. Traveling to not so friendly fun spots the shotgun or a lever action comes along instead of the AR

You day I’ll get my act together and finally finish the 10mm AR pistol build I have going and it will be the traveler.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25454 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Your normal gun. I would not leave anything “locked up” in a rental that 20 other people probably have keys to. AR pistol is interesting if you are going into an urban shithole for vacation, otherwise I would question it. Additionally maintaining physical control over it would be bothersome. Car prowling/thieving here is common at parks and parking lots. Perhaps get a smartcarry, and carry your smallest pistol in a small ziplock at the beach, having it locked up doesn’t do much good.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I voted for the G19, it's just a great overall pistol. I will carry my beloved 365 most times, with my Ruger LCP for those times when my G19 is just to hard to conceal.

When traveling in my motorhome, an AR15 is living in the closet.

Posts: 13683 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my P365! I pocket carry often and that along with either my P239.9mm or my CZ p07 on my hip (5:00 o'clock).

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I EDC a P250, right now. So I would travel with it too.
And I fall into the "if you use it, you lose it" line of thought. I have 3 250s (4 if you count a subcompact conversion kit) so this is the gun I can most easily replace. Keeping with that, I will pack a gun I wont seriously regret losing, which on your list is the Glocks.
I dont travel with a long gun. If I did, it would be a shotgun with ghost rings, so I could use the utility of slugs and buckshot.
I want my travel to be relaxing and fun, so I try not to gear up like I am invading a small country. If my research indicates the area is risky and not 2A supportive, I just dont go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16135 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
G19 and G26 if you've got one.

That's what I would do to simplify spare mags.
I carry an AR pistol in 5.56 for traveling.

My crazy brother brings his suppressed 300blk pistol for traveling, but he does have plenty of ammo so I guess it's okay.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I'm not a carry rotation kind of person. I tend to carry one gun 99% of the time. If I can't carry a gun IWB, I carry an LCP in my pocket. For the past several years, my main concealed carry gun has been a G43. That may be changing soon for a Sig P365.

I would carry something small and easily concealed, so that you can enjoy your trip. With regard to carrying an AR on vacation, I have never seen the need.

Posts: 1627 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just spin the wheel then, it really makes no difference.

posted Hide Post
I agree, it makes no difference. This was just for fun.

Im shocked by how may rifle / AR pistols travel with people.

Looks like the G19 and 43 will be the winners. The G43 is my wifes gun of choice, so she can carry that when I am carrying the 19.

I should also mention that of the 6 adults, all are authorized to carry (either by LEOSA or CCW permit) and I know that three of us carry nearly 100% of the time.

posted Hide Post
No worries man, any of the options are likely more than enough. Carry has just become another thing I do when I get dressed, like a cell phone, keys, wallet, etc - I keep it simple, usually a G19, sometimes a G43, occasionally J-frame.

Have fun on your trip, I've enjoyed by trips to the Outer Banks but man it's gonna be HAWT and HUMID! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
No worries man, any of the options are likely more than enough. Carry has just become another thing I do when I get dressed, like a cell phone, keys, wallet, etc - I keep it simple, usually a G19, sometimes a G43, occasionally J-frame.

Have fun on your trip, I've enjoyed by trips to the Outer Banks but man it's gonna be HAWT and HUMID! Big Grin

Good! We have had something like 24 days of rain and cold, not very summer-like, weather. Bring on the heat.