SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Taurus TX-22 Competition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taurus TX-22 Competition Login/Join 
Picture of PHC
posted
If anyone is looking for a U.S. well made, balanced, very accurate 22 a with a nice trigger do yourself a favor and check up the Taurus TX-22 Competition. I picked up one yesterday at my local Rural King store for $450. Plus 6% for Pennsylvania and shot 75 rounds of mixed 30 year old 22LR I dug out of the bottom of a footlocker. No misfires no problems with feeding VERY HAPPY.
I would post a picture but it seems to be beyond my limited computer knowledge Frown

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I bought one of these 2-3 months ago still haven’t taken it out to shoot mainly because I keep forgetting to grab it when I go out. It’s a pretty ugly gun, but I’ve heard good things about the tx22 and I like red dots so when I saw this I bought it.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have purchased a TX22 in the past year and can't say anything bad about it. I shot ammo that I had that was marked 79¢ per box (so you can imagine how old that was), up to new cci HP. And brand new Velocitor. It simply doesn't care what you feed it. Just a fun gun to shoot.

Never too old to refuse to become a victim.

Posts: 34 | Location: Fairport Harbor Ohio | Registered: October 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Did they finally work out the persistent barrel problems that have been plaguing the TX-22?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Did they finally work out the persistent barrel problems that have been plaguing the TX-22?

I purchased one in Nov. 2019. It was one of a batch that had bad barrels. At the time they informed me that the problem had been tracked to a certain number of barrels from one manufacturer. They were able to track these to a block of serial numbers for the TX22 although they were not certain all pistols within that block of numbers were affected. They sent me a new barrel in the mail once production had resumed. The new barrel works fine and the chamber appears centered to the bore.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Steve 22x. I'll have to look into the TX-22 again.

When did you receive your replacement barrel?

When I last asked about this pistol was in September (?) of last year. In response to a comment here on SF I looked into it. I believe I read people on the Taurus forum (?) were still getting faulty replacement barrels at that time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for one of these for awhile. Guess I'll keep looking!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
A weakness of the TX22 (original) is the slide breaking due to the very thin area of aluminum holding the RSA that tends to grind away at it. Not sure if that has been remedied in the latest version.

Firing pins and extractors are prone to breakage too which would not be a huge deal other than reports of having to send whole pistol back to Taurus paying shipping to repair and long waits.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com...thread.php?t=1218643

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I picked up a TX-22 Comp yesterday. I paid a few more sheckels than you did, but no complaints on the price.

I put a Vortex Venom on it and took it to the range. Very pleased with the accuracy and action.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a TX 22 two months ago. The born on date was the end of January. 500 rounds and nary a problem. The gun store took a trade in on my Ruger LCP II in .22 lr. I just could shoot accurately with that thing, not to mention it was VERY ammo specific. Would fire only Mini Mags consistently. The TX eats everything.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Posts: 43 | Registered: March 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post