SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about a Glock 21 SF in 3rd gen?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a Glock 21 SF in 3rd gen? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have a G20 3rd gen. Was hoping to find a upper to convert my G20 to shoot 45acp also.

But know think the SF model of G21 might be the ticket for my mediumish sized hands and I would be able to shoot both calibers using the SF.

Some great deals to be had too.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Had a regular G21 years ago, and the grip was too large for my hand. Then got the G21 SF RTF2, but the grip was still just a little larger than what my hand liked.

Q

Posts: 27602 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a g21sf for a long time. You can't really ask for a lot more from a double stack 45 acp platform. It shoots great, runs everything I have fed it, and fits my hand better than the OG gen 3 I owned in the past. One caveat that I will mention is that I like the grip texture better on the Gen 4 series. I've found that my hand also likes the beaver tail grip attachment for a higher hold. If I were to pick now, I'd probably get a gen 4 or a 5.

Talon makes adhesive grip panels for the gen 3 guns to help make them less slick.

Posts: 781 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have found over the years I, for some unknown reason, gravitate towards and shoot thicker guns better. Makes no sense as I have fairly small hands. I mean I wear a large glove but let’s say on the small side of that large. Yet I shoot GEN 3 Glock 21/30 thick boys better then the S/SF stuff. I shoot Beretta 92s well. I like the full size .45 USP. Not all of them FEEL the best in my hand but they all shoot well.

All that exposition aside the Glock 21/30 are great .45s. One of the few guns I have let go of and regret was a GEN 3 Glock in .45.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Gen4? A G21.4 is the same size as a G21.3SF

Posts: 3272 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Have you considered a Gen4? A G21.4 is the same size as a G21.3SF

But then he wouldn't be able to interchange slides with his Gen 3 G20, like he said wants to.

Posts: 33101 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My short fingers can comfortably reach the trigger on the big boy Gen3 SFs and I can shoot them reasonably well, but I really have come to dislike the lack of grit to the Gen3 grip, the original so-called "RTF" texture that's anything but 'rough'. Throwing some grip tape on it improves the hold traction considerably, but conversely it also adds back the millimeters that were taken out when Glock turned it into a 'short frame'. It was more or less a no-win scenario for me; I ultimately refrained from buying a G21 or G20, at least until their Gen4 versions pleasantly came out. SF dimensions AND superior grip texture, all in one. Even better still once the Gen5 big frame went live.

I realize that this doesn't help your specific scenario of slide interchangeability of 10mm onto the SF lower, but that's my personal take on the Gen3 short frame.

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So this is interesting. In gen 3. Because that is what I need.
The difference in grip size is what? So little that by adding grip tape it is the same as the full size grip, huh?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock at the time said that they 'shortened' the back of grip to trigger dimension by about only 2mm or so. So yes, it was a relatively small change in actual dimension, but a significant enough revision when it came to getting a secure feel and purchase in-hand.

EDIT: I probably should clarify that the sandpaper taped SF that I shot didn't change the 'length of pull' (reach to the trigger) all that much as I could still get on the trigger with my preferred finger position. But the added front strap tape with the backstrap tape layers added probably most of the Glock-erased millimeters back to the overall grip bulk. At least from what I remember, it did feel like that. So this is what made the SF with Talon(?) tape a not so ideal setup for my dainty lil' hands.

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
One significant difference to keep in mind is that the Gen 3 (regular and SF) both have the old style single recoil spring assembly. The Gen 4 and 5 both have the newer style dual captive recoil spring assembly.

That may or may not influence your decision, especially if you’re switching out barrels to run 10mm or .45 Super, etc.

Posts: 349 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SF is a few millimetres thinner front to back. I have a gen3 of each frame size and it’s a noticeable difference. If you have anything but giant bear paws for hands, the SF is a welcome improvement if you can’t obtain a gen 4 or 5 with the adjustable back straps.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
One significant difference to keep in mind is that the Gen 3 (regular and SF) both have the old style single recoil spring assembly. The Gen 4 and 5 both have the newer style dual captive recoil spring assembly.
You can run a Gen3 slide on a Gen4 frame/lower using an inexpensive guide rod adapter.

For example:
https://ndzperformance.com/ndz...r-ndz-g4-adpt-uni-v/

Posts: 3272 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post