SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG-Sauer announces the P220 10mm
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 77
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG-Sauer announces the P220 10mm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got to shoot this at the range tonight. Nice gentlemen offered, "Want to shoot my Sig 10mm ". Why yes, of course. 3 mags, 24 rounds. 2 mags were his handloads and the last one a bit more powerful, but not sure what factory load it was. It had a very smooth DA and the SRT trigger on SA follow up shots was excellent for my ability. Now I think I could find myself buying one somewhere down the road after the sticker price comes down some. Yes the mag hit the mag release and stopped, but I have several 1911's with custom releases that do the same. Just push the mag release a little bit when it hits and it slides right on in. With the increased weight of the steel frame it shoot's as soft as my P220 SS slide guns in .45acp. I'll be following the threads on these for a while, specially those with full power ammo use. One more thing. I thought that the small beavertail would be a negative for me, but it was not noticed at all. Actually, may have contributed to a higher handhold than if it had the regular profile I am use to. I am not a fan of big BT's.

Posts: 100 | Location: Outside of Atlanta, but still in Dixie. | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I got to hold one yesterday! Extremely nice gun! Two tone model. Some guy named Steve showed it to me at Lotus Gun Works.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by md-lucky:

I'm interested to know how it compares, in your opinion, to the Tanfoglio 10mm you have pictured.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
I'm interested to know how it compares, in your opinion, to the Tanfoglio 10mm you have pictured.

Comparing them is extremely difficult. You would think I would be able to say "well everything that is good about the Tanfoglio is better about the Sig." Or something similar.

The truth is... Well. That saying that wouldn't be the truth.

The simple tangibles: the Sig is most certainly heavier, despite having a smaller frame and less capacity. The slide is much easier to grip and rack - significantly "taller" than the Tanfoglio (this matters when your recoil spring is nearing 16#s.) The sights are better on the Sig. The trigger pulls are very similar, but the "shape" of the Sig trigger is superior. The reset is shorter on the Sig. There might be slightly more trigger creep on the Tanfoglio, but it is most likely subjective.

The capacity of the Sig is very lacking compared to the Tanfoglio. The Tanfoglio fits my large hand better, and the serrations on the Sig are more harsh on the hands under hard recoil.

The Tanfoglio has been my "go to" back country bear gun. I have had zero issues with it (beyond the factory magazine!!) If I had to grab one in the middle of the night... The Tanfoglio hasn't given me any reason to not reach for it first.

But we are comparing a pistol that costs 50% less than the Sig. The fit and finish of the Sig is just.. "better." The machining between the frames and slides. Fit and finish.. You can tell a difference between the two.

I would not hesitate for one second to recommend the Tanfoglio to someone looking to own an excellent $600 firearm... Especially if they are shopping for the 10mm caliber.

And in the same breath... I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Sig 220 10mm to someone who had a larger budget and wanted something.... "more."

If the Sig had the same capacity as the Tanfogilio it wouldn't even be a comparison. But capacity matters for MY uses, so I have to give extra marks to the Tanfoglio for this reason.

To create some comparisons, one might think the Tanfoglio is the "Toyota Camry" and the Sig is the "Ford Mustang." But that doesn't really do either justice. Instead, I would say the Tanfoglio is the Mustang GT500 or the Camaro Z28, and the Sig is a Fort GT or a Z06 Corvette. One is "outstanding," and the other is a "grail gun."

I am extremely fortunate to be able to own both... extra fortunate to have the Sig 220 10mm. Anyone comparing the two would likely come to a similar conclusion: I'm considering an excellent pistol to a once in a lifetime pistol.

Either way... you NEED a 10mm. Big Grin

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Comparing them is extremely difficult. You would think I would be able to say "well everything that is good about the Tanfoglio is better about the Sig." Or something similar.

The truth is... Well. That saying that wouldn't be the truth.

The simple tangibles: the Sig is most certainly heavier, despite having a smaller frame and less capacity. The slide is much easier to grip and rack - significantly "taller" than the Tanfoglio (this matters when your recoil spring is nearing 16#s.) The sights are better on the Sig. The trigger pulls are very similar, but the "shape" of the Sig trigger is superior. The reset is shorter on the Sig. There might be slightly more trigger creep on the Tanfoglio, but it is most likely subjective.

The capacity of the Sig is very lacking compared to the Tanfoglio. The Tanfoglio fits my large hand better, and the serrations on the Sig are more harsh on the hands under hard recoil.

The Tanfoglio has been my "go to" back country bear gun. I have had zero issues with it (beyond the factory magazine!!) If I had to grab one in the middle of the night... The Tanfoglio hasn't given me any reason to not reach for it first.

But we are comparing a pistol that costs 50% less than the Sig. The fit and finish of the Sig is just.. "better." The machining between the frames and slides. Fit and finish.. You can tell a difference between the two.

I would not hesitate for one second to recommend the Tanfoglio to someone looking to own an excellent $600 firearm... Especially if they are shopping for the 10mm caliber.

And in the same breath... I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Sig 220 10mm to someone who had a larger budget and wanted something.... "more."

If the Sig had the same capacity as the Tanfogilio it wouldn't even be a comparison. But capacity matters for MY uses, so I have to give extra marks to the Tanfoglio for this reason.

To create some comparisons, one might think the Tanfoglio is the "Toyota Camry" and the Sig is the "Ford Mustang." But that doesn't really do either justice. Instead, I would say the Tanfoglio is the Mustang GT500 or the Camaro Z28, and the Sig is a Fort GT or a Z06 Corvette. One is "outstanding," and the other is a "grail gun."

I am extremely fortunate to be able to own both... extra fortunate to have the Sig 220 10mm. Anyone comparing the two would likely come to a similar conclusion: I'm considering an excellent pistol to a once in a lifetime pistol.

Either way... you NEED a 10mm. Big Grin

Thanks for the detailed comparison.

How has the Tanfoglio held up internally? When they first came out in the US, there were concerns with galling and wear on the internals that seemed inordinate. Given the higher powered 10mm there was some question if the gun was able to handle a long-term steady diet of 10mm.

How long have you had it and how much have you shot it? How is it holding up? I assume from the overall response, you are satisfied.

Which model is that, BTW?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
Not trying to butt into this comparison, but I too have the new Sig 10MM and a Witness in 10MM. I think all your comparisons are spot on, but would add I prefer the Sig Decocker over the Witness lowering the hammer by hand. I too agree it's easier to grab the slide of the Sig and like the shape of the trigger better. The Sig 10MM 5" weighs 44ounces, but feels like a steel frame 5" 1911 in my hand anyway. As for magazine capacity I think a total of 9 rounds in the Sig is plenty for hunting or even self defense. Plus the flat single stack magazines of the Sig are easier to carry.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the detailed comparison.

How has the Tanfoglio held up internally? When they first came out in the US, there were concerns with galling and wear on the internals that seemed inordinate. Given the higher powered 10mm there was some question if the gun was able to handle a long-term steady diet of 10mm.

How long have you had it and how much have you shot it? How is it holding up? I assume from the overall response, you are satisfied.

Which model is that, BTW?

It is the Stock 1. I know the "lower end" pistols have had all kinds of issues.. Cracked slides, mangled guide rod supports, and such. The "elite" series (stock, hunters, open) have not had the same issues from what I heard. That said, one of the first things I did was replace the guide rod and spring because I knew I would be shooting some of the hottest rounds I could find/make.

I have had it a little over a year. I have shot a few different types of factory ammo, but mostly my own reloads. For the factory ammo it has eaten anything I've tried including the 220g hard casts. I know some glocks have big issues with these bullets. My handloads have been everything from mouse fart 180g plated bullets to "gee that might be slightly over book" with new premium brass and bullets. Zero issues with wear.

I know both posts make it sound like either pistol would be fine for me.. That's not entirely true. The sig is the better pistol in my opinion. I would rather have the sig. I just truly feel one is an outstanding $600 pistol, and the other is a more outstanding more expensive pistol. Does double the price get you double the gun? That's subjective - I would likely say no, but I would whole heartedly admit the sig is better.

I've been happy with the tanfoglio, but I didn't buy the sig to spend its life in the safe... It will be getting a LOT of use and a year from now I'll have an even stronger opinion.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been happy with the tanfoglio, but I didn't buy the sig to spend its life in the safe... It will be getting a LOT of use and a year from now I'll have an even stronger opinion.

That's good to hear. I had one Tanfoglio, an Elite Match .45ACP, one of the earlier ones without the rail and with the longer target rear sights. I really, really liked the gun. However, about four or so months in, it had a significant failure; a "don't shoot this gun again until it's has been repaired" sort of failure. Tanfoglio made it good, on warranty and did a little extra by doing a trigger job and crowning the barrel (the new barrel they had to install). They also custom fitted two magazines; which, IMO, should not have been necessary. The magazines would not reliably seat without attention which meant they could just drop out of the gun even though they seemed to be seated.

On the positive side, the gun felt great in my hand, fit me, was very accurate with low felt recoil and, at the time, was just over $400. It was the lower end of the Elite series. I sold it after the repair with full disclosure. Tanfoglios have tantalized me since, but I have not taken the leap of faith again.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary1911A1:
Not trying to butt into this comparison, but I too have the new Sig 10MM and a Witness in 10MM. I think all your comparisons are spot on, but would add I prefer the Sig Decocker over the Witness lowering the hammer by hand. I too agree it's easier to grab the slide of the Sig and like the shape of the trigger better. The Sig 10MM 5" weighs 44ounces, but feels like a steel frame 5" 1911 in my hand anyway. As for magazine capacity I think a total of 9 rounds in the Sig is plenty for hunting or even self defense. Plus the flat single stack magazines of the Sig are easier to carry.

Not butting in at all. I appreciate a second opinion and another perspective from a Tanfoglio owner.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
md-lucky have you figured out any pet loads for the 220 yet??

I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet, let alone start working up some loads.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
md-lucky have you figured out any pet loads for the 220 yet??

I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet, let alone start working up some loads.

I haven't yet. I have shot a lot of blue dot with various bullet weights and had really good success in my other 10.

I just loaded up 50 rounds with Accurate 9. I really like the way accurate 9 meters, and will likely shoot a bunch of this.

I didn't even approach max book with the accurate 9 with these. If they shoot well, I'll come back to it and try a little hotter. I like virgin star line brass for hot rounds though, and I think I'm down to pretty much once fired only. Will report back if I find anything interesting!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
How are the fixed sights lined up? Are they oriented for a 6 o'clock hold at 15 yards, a dead-center hold at 25 yards, or what?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
How are the fixed sights lined up? Are they oriented for a 6 o'clock hold at 15 yards, a dead-center hold at 25 yards, or what?

Front dot on target at 20 yards was my experience yesterday.

The night sights are ok. No complaints. I might change the front color since it appears to be POA = POI, but that's pretty trivial and would be down the road a ways.

Went through 150 flawless rounds yesterday. It's a hell of a smooth runner.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ah, very good to hear - thanks!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Front dot on target at 20 yards was my experience yesterday.

The night sights are ok. No complaints. I might change the front color since it appears to be POA = POI, but that's pretty trivial and would be down the road a ways.

Went through 150 flawless rounds yesterday. It's a hell of a smooth runner.

I agree. My Sig 220 in 10MM is the smoothies running 10MM I have ever shot and I have shot the most popular ones.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, I like reading these range reports, keep 'em coming.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Interesting that Sig hasn't put anything about the 10mm on their website.

A lack of marketing will kill any product.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Yah, you brought it up so I looked, what's up with that?

Guy I know bought one, I'm hoping I'll get to shoot it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

SIG's USA website always seems outdated with product models. They do have one version of the 220 Elite Match 10mm listed in their 2015 catalog.

Lipsey's sight has more information for their "special" models. I'm glad I was able to get the reverse 2-tone with fixed sights.

Posts: 221 | Location: USA | Registered: May 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post