SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First hand experience with the Ruger SR1911?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First hand experience with the Ruger SR1911? Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
I tried one on at a local pawn shop, stainless 4.25” barrel & appeared unfired, comes with 2 stainless mags, but no box, manual etc. Double Diamond Rosewood grips, nice fit & finish and crisp trigger.

Trying to talk myself out of it but thought I’d ask the experts here if there’s any reason not to buy it?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Nightwatchman 4.25, black finish with Novack tritium sights. The trigger was a little gritty but cleaned up nicely. It has been reliable and accurate. I have no problem using it as one of my carry guns.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had the full size for 5 or 6 years and have no complaints. It works just fine and is quite tight.

When I first got it, I cleaned it, oiled it and took it to the range. It did not want to eject the fired brass. Another guy at the range gave me some grease and it worked fine.

I cleaned it again and put Rig Stainless on it. I reloaded and fires 500 rds of ball ammo and it has worked fine since. I still use grease on the rails, but am now using 200 gr lead swc.

I would buy a used LW Commander style if I ever found one.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
They are well made with a very good track record. The SR1911 uses the series 70 safety system which gives the pistol both a smooth & better trigger pull. For EDC purposes, I’d prefer the alloy frame variant.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As previously stated, they are quite well-appointed right out of the gate IMO.

I’ve owned both the full-size and a two-tone alloy-framed Commander-sized SR1911. The latter was particularly appealing visually to me. I appreciated the titanium (IIRC) feedramp Ruger used in that version.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a full sized and am very pleased with it. I think Ruger did a great job with these.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 years in on my full size SR 1911. Round count not really known but I would guess its north of 1K. No issues. Just sent the slide off to Novak for better sights for old eyes.
IMHO, one of the best of the less than 1K$ 1911s.
Hope to find an SR Commander 9mm!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I was initially thinking I’d use the frame on my Nelson custom 1911-22 conversion even though I’ve got trigger, hammer, sear & grip safety on order for a spare Caspian frame … now I’m not so sure. I guess I’ll wait & see how well the new trigger turns out.

It is a pleasure to shoot in 45 as well as 22, which totally surprised me.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
They are good to go. I owned a fullsize and commander a few years ago. I sold them to go with "higher" end guns but to be honest, the "higher" end 1911's didn't shoot any better.

Only complaint I ever heard was the front sight shearing in half during shooting.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger SR1911

I found the pistol to be well built, reliable and accurate.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have four, 2 GVT in 45 ACP, 1 CMD in 45ACP and 1 CMD in 9mm. All are excellent values for the money but the Ruger magazines are poor and the 9mm is so poor that I never did get thru a 9mm magazine without a double feed jam. If you want reliable function just leave the Ruger magazines in the box and use Wilson Combat magazines. I have 14 for the 45 and 10 for the 9mm because with Arthritis in both thumbs I can have 100 rounds loaded up for each caliber before going to the range.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I have four, 2 GVT in 45 ACP, 1 CMD in 45ACP and 1 CMD in 9mm. All are excellent values for the money but the Ruger magazines are poor and the 9mm is so poor that I never did get thru a 9mm magazine without a double feed jam. If you want reliable function just leave the Ruger magazines in the box and use Wilson Combat magazines. I have 14 for the 45 and 10 for the 9mm because with Arthritis in both thumbs I can have 100 rounds loaded up for each caliber before going to the range.

Good point on the magazines IMO. I never even tried the factory magazines with either of my Rugers. I’ll admit to a very strong bias toward Wilson Combat magazines - that’s all I use in any 1911.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Had mine for a few months (the commander sized) and I love it. It’s my EDC now.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a commander when they first came out. I sheared two of the factory front sights off, but the third one is going strong. It will eat any ammo I put through it.

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Lightweight Commander in 9mm and it has been stellar after a quick feed ramp cleanup. It was my EDC at work for over a year until I started carrying my Steyr C9A2 (more capacity at the same weight; it's getting weird out there, kids).
I have zero complaints about the Ruger. Accurate, hits to POA, reliable as the sunset with every ammo I've tried, and a joy to carry. The quality level for the money is right as well.
Good stuff in my opinion! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dakota Slim,

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP and ran over 600 flawless rounds through it before passing it along to my son-in-law. The only complaint I would make is that it has some sharp-ish edges on it. Otherwise a very reliable and accurate 1911-style pistol.

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shkuhn:
I bought a commander when they first came out. I sheared two of the factory front sights off, but the third one is going strong. It will eat any ammo I put through it.

That was a common issue with the early Commander pistol, although there were reports that a few front sight failures occurred with the original 6700 Government size model as well. Haven't heard of any such problems in recent years however.

My 6700 has been run flawlessly with an assortment of magazines and ammo loads. Haven't shot it much in the past couple of years, though; maybe 100 rounds since 2020. About 850-900 rounds through it in total. Just not enough time to take 'em all out and use them as they were meant to be used...:shrug:

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Eats Wolf steel case like its going out of style.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post