SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What to do with this beater P220 project?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with this beater P220 project? Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted
I snagged a total beater W. German P220 (1991 ser. no) off Gunbroker for pretty cheap and I’m not sure where to start with it. I took the grips off and there was some rust on the springs, so it’s definitely getting a new spring kit. Is this surface rust the kind of stuff that can easily be removed with mineral spirits or some kind of parts cleaner? I was kind of thinking of sending it to CCR too, but am not sure what kind of finish I want on it. And the lower front corners of the trigger guard have a lot of wear on them, almost like it was used to practice quick draws in a metal holster. LOL. I have a lot of P220s, so this doesn’t have to come out like a holy grail. Gimme some ideas.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Definitely CCR for that slide to be plated in their CPII (original) or CPII Dusk (blackish). The frame can be done in Cera-Hide Black. You won't be disappointed with the result.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Oil it up, springs, new sights and make it a dedicated training gun?

Or have CCR coat it and make it a training gun. Haha.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have another sort of beater W. German P220 that is a lot cleaner, but still has a cool patina about it. I like it a lot and will leave it as is. This one, however, needs some more TLC.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send it to Sig for the SSP and then to CCR.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Were it mine, I'd likely hit it with some oiled fine steel wool to knock the rust off, oil it up good and shoot the snot out of it as-is. Put the money you saved on a refinish into ammo. It's a classic that you don't have to worry about marring up. I would change the springs, though.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that a little oil and steel wool would shine it up nicely.

Definitely scrub down every piece and new springs as you said.

You'll have one you can practice with and not worry about.

Let us know what you ultimately decide.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
What kind of oil would you guys suggest for the steel wool treatment?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The first thing to do is to find the sumbitch who let that happen to that pistol and give him such a pinch.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd second what Para said. Someone out there needs a lil pimp slap.

0000 steel wool and kroil/WD-40 type oil. Clean it up, then whatever gun oil you prefer.

Id take a serious look at refinishing it. I haven't used them, but no one has a bad word to say about CCR. Robar, out in Phoenix closed up shop a few years back, but IIRC, most of their people went to another refinishing company near by... I just can't remember the name.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
0000 steel wool and kroil/WD-40 type oil. Clean it up, then whatever gun oil you prefer.

I've had great success with bronze wool. It's less abrasive than steel wool and will not leave any microscopic remnants that can rust. 3-packs are available at the orange box store or from the big on-line retailer.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the Arizona climate, I have to suspect that gun didn’t spend its whole life in AZ
Before I moved to wonderful AZ I lived in a rather humid area of the northeast and rarely saw rusty guns.

Since a dry climate once cleaned rust is unlikely to accelerate I would clean it up not refinish and use as a training gun.

I have never been a fan of refinishing, as you never get the value back out of the base gun plus cost of refinishing down the road.

I am a bit strange in that I have a soft spot for ugly rough guns that still shoot well.
I get a special satisfaction shooting a good or great score in a match with a rough basic gun - I like it even more when I shoot a better score than the fancy gun guys and girls

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The gun was shipped from a dealer in MA. It was listed as a "gunsmith's special." But as far as I can see, it just needs cosmetic work aside from new springs.

I live 10 min from where Robar was and they've NP3'ed a lot of guns for me. I hadn't heard about their employees going elsewhere and offering Robar's coatings. Wright Armory in Mesa took over the dis- and reassembly work for Robar, which I was never gonna deal with, having to drive 30 miles to pay someone to do what Robar used to do and have them deliver the gun to Robar, passing my house on the way.

Anyway, I did have Wright Armory do some other gunsmith work for me recently and I asked about NP3 getting licensed to others. They said it's still being worked out, but they hope to have their own licensed NP3 finish available by end of this year. But I know it will be outrageously expensive.

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Send it to Sig for the SSP and then to CCR.

This!!!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Definitely CCR for that slide to be plated in their CPII (original) or CPII Dusk (blackish). The frame can be done in Cera-Hide Black. You won't be disappointed with the result.

No but your bargain will be wiped out by the cost; $289 - $409 depending on which of their finishes you pick, plus rust removal and shipping.

I am in the steel wool and springs camp. Don't enrich Fedups sending it hither thither and yon.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
IF I send it out for refinishing, it's not going overnight. Eff those carriers. Their rules ain't laws. Still not sure what to do, but I have a week long business trip tomorrow, so I'l dig in after that.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I might be tempted to have fun Big Grin. Tour begins at 6:10. It looks like the frame is in decent shape.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guessing corrosion from saltwater environment (boat), put up wet.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Your timing is great we are getting ready to offer our annual Holiday Sale soon. We also will have shipping labels available

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take off the grips and soak the gun in Ed's Red for a week. When you pull it out give it a very light wipe down with 0000 Steel Wool.

Clean it up and shoot the heck out of it.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post