SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally got the holy grail of Sig P210 pistols....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got the holy grail of Sig P210 pistols.... Login/Join 
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I think all Sig 210s were the holy grail.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeF:
Beautiful example, thanks for sharing. I am continually surprised by all the variations of the 210 that Sig produced over the years. I assumed that Sig only produced heavy frame models in the late 90s.

Do you plan to shoot it, or is it a safe queen?

Would you mind telling where you got it? Given its rarity, I would be curious how you found such a gem.

Thanks again
Mike

Yes, I'll have it at the range at some point, but I haven't yet.

Yes, the CNC Heavy Frames are common by comparison. In fact, the 2002 model in my group picture is a Heavy Frame also. The CNC Heavy Frames are nothing overly special, as far as P210s are concerned.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Looks fantastic. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2769 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Another superb pistol, worthy of 3 keyboards. I'm on the 4th keyboard, now. Big Grin

I clearly know very little of the various P210s. So, a few questions to the master.

1- Are all the heavy frames forged?
2- If not, which model heavy frames are not forged?
3- I see that some P210-5 and P210-6 have the heavy frame. Is the heavy frame made on some other variants, also?
4- What do you think about the German made P210 Legend compared to the Swiss made P210? I've read elsewhere another rather well known P210 expert trashing the German one. When asked for reasons why it is trash, all we heard was cricket.

Thanks, bac.

1. No, most of them are not forged. the vast majority are the later CNC Heavy Frame

2. All the later Heavy Frames are not forged. If the serial number is 3xxxxx, than its not forged. Forged Heavy Frame P210's are very rare.

3. The P210-8 was built on the CNC Heavy Frame also. All the German P210 Legends use a CNC Heavy Frame. None of the military models ever used a heavy frame.

4. I had a German P210 Legend Target. It was a nice gun, but I couldn't get over seeing "Sig Sauer" stamped on a P210. I sold it.

Hope this helps...

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks, bac. Very helpful.
So, my P210-5 Target HF has CNC HF.

Hey, I noticed you sold your Legend a few months ago. I said, "What? bac selling his P210?" Now, I know. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
4- What do you think about the German made P210 Legend compared to the Swiss made P210? I've read elsewhere another rather well known P210 expert trashing the German one. When asked for reasons why it is trash, all we heard was cricket.

I can't speak for bac1023 on this but I will say that my SIG Sauer Legend isn't made with the same kind of precision and tolerances that SIG made the original Swiss P210 guns with. Does it truly affect a shooter's abilities and results? Probably no more than a Wilson Combat 1911 is truly a better shooter than a Dan Wesson iteration of the same platform. But to me the newer P210 Legend just feels like a pale second to the original. Can't hardly wait (yes I can) to see how the American version will fare in this heady company. Not so great among the aficionados, I suspect.

A great quartet you've got, bac1023. A P210-6 heavy frame has been on my wantlist for a long time. A few years ago I came across one in luscious condition but I thought at the time its owner was asking a fair bit too much for it. In hindsight he wasn't given how the market has gone. Another one I let get away because I thought I knew better...(sigh)...

Here's an example of a CNC Heavy Frame P210-6.

Its a special pistol by everyday standards, but nothing special by P210 standards, if that makes any sense at all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ Thanks, bac. Very helpful.
So, my P210-5 Target HF has CNC HF.

Yes sir, that's a CNC Heavy Frame.

Don't get me wrong, its a stellar pistol and every bit as accurate as the forged.

The forged Heavy Frame is just the collector's dream, because they are so rare and highly regarded. Before getting this, I never even saw one in person before and I've been an avid collector a long time, as you know.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
To many of us, just a plain P210 is a dream, you know. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
To many of us, just a plain P210 is a dream, you know. Big Grin
Sure

For good reason. It’s an outstanding pistol.

Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Down right beautiful!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a rare purchase. Beautiful.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I've not yet had the privilege of shooting a 210 but have held one that belonged to an acquaintance. Such an impressive handgun.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Mine was made in '51 ~ '52, it's one of the originals.

I feel blessed to find one after 20+ years of trying.

As far as accuracy - fergettaboutit! Nothing I own compares. I own several very accurate pieces, but this is #1.

When shooting it, the feel is liquid, like a really soft shooting 1911.

Glad I bought it, regardless of the premium and all the cup O noodles I had to eat afterwards.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHolland
posted Hide Post
Wow that is gorgeous!

Posts: 3317 | Location: SC Lowcountry | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Absolutely superb! Congratulations on finding that and being able to obtain it. Sometimes the stars line up right!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, what a gun and collection!! thanks for sharing!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats on scoring your beautiful grail gun!

Re: "This particular example was produced in 1975. It was one of 50 built by Sig for Hofmann & Reinhart of Zürich in March of that year, all of which were fitted with military sights…"

It's interesting to me that "HEAVY FRAME" is in English.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
All frames are made of forged steel. The difference between frames of the first series is the blank that had been used. For the first series, cast and forged billets have been used, frames of the second series have been cut out cast and forged bar stock.

CNC manufacturing is notithing but conventional drilling and cutting done on one or two machines. Previously the processes had been done on series of various machines. Which was very intensive on labour.

If alternative manufacturing methods where used, they where chosen for the hammer assembly not for the slide nor the frame.

Nothing had been had fittet on any P210. All these pistols where industrially manufactured. It was a mandatory in order to sell to the Swiss, German and Danish government. The most expensive part to make was the slide, not the frame.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
All frames are made of forged steel. The difference between frames of the first series is the blank that had been used. For the first series, cast and forged billets have been used, frames of the second series have been cut out cast and forged bar stock.

CNC manufacturing is notithing but conventional drilling and cutting done on one or two machines. Previously the processes had been done on series of various machines. Which was very intensive on labour.

If alternative manufacturing methods where used, they where chosen for the hammer assembly not for the slide nor the frame.

Nothing had been had fittet on any P210. All these pistols where industrially manufactured. It was a mandatory in order to sell to the Swiss, German and Danish government. The most expensive part to make was the slide, not the frame.

Very true

It’s not the frames themselves that make the earlier models more desirable.