SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The future is here, The Chinese railgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The future is here, The Chinese railgun Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Link

The gun uses nine lithium-ion coils to accelerate coin-shaped projectiles, which are stored in a magazine behind the coils.

Bladerunner, Total Recall, Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, all the future guns predicted and now its reality, a hand held rail gun...

Posts: 23472 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Maybe 300 fps. Sling shot can be faster. Compound bow with carbon fiber shafts? Cross bows are hitting near 500 fps. 220 Swift, 5,000 fps.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Handheld electromagnetic rail/coil guns have been a thing for several years now. There's a couple of American companies who make them too, one of which has been producing a model since at least 2017.

See https://www.forgottenweapons.c...tromagnetic-weapons/ for details and videos.

They're still very low velocity (~200-300 FPS). That's less than a BB gun. So they're currently basically just "proof of concept" prototypes and novelties, versus actual viable weaponry.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Bigger and slower than a Hi-Point.

Where is the holster?

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's a start though. I'm sure the Wright brothers were criticized for not having free peanuts on their first flight.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
True, but the least of Mr. Selfridge's concerns was having peanuts.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Perfect for gas station cashiers in bad areas, HERE'S YOUR CHANGE!

Posts: 3574 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
You bitches won’t buy Chinese made so nobody will have a range report on sigforum!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6320 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
You bitches won’t buy Chinese made so nobody will have a range report on sigforum!

Holosun buying folks will. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's so funny I can't believe they're serious. Stupid is as stupid does.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Some of those "rounds" bounce off the paper target.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Some of those "rounds" bounce off the paper target.

Later on the video shows it punching auto glass and pulverizing a watermelon. A 9MM it's not, but if you hosed somebody full auto with that thing it would change their mind in a hurry.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Never saw anything like that in Star Wars or Blade Runner.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I like these better.

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The electronics are really interesting but Newton's laws are a bitch. It takes so much electical power to propel a projectile to speeds on par with a combustion driven projectile.

I've always thought such a thing was doable with enough gigantic supercaps but how big are the batteries you are charging them with? YUGE man. yuge...

It will be interesting when we find something that greatly surpasses Li-ion in energy density and practicality (ease/cost of manufacturing, safety margin, etc).

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
“You’ll shoot your eye out kid”. Smile

Tech always starts small. As has been said examples such as this have been floating around for like 5 years.

I, personally, would like to see an air rifle in .177/.22 that used this tech to accelerate a steel piston or sled to launch commonly available led pellets and then return said sled or piston to ready. Charge it up and get X number of shots before needed to recharge.

It’s got a long way to go before it’s a viable “weapon” though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The Forgotten Weapons did episodes on gauss guns.

https://youtu.be/eAHKS0nVlL4

https://youtu.be/EwHRjgVWFno

https://youtu.be/crBqplCIZoA

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm holding out until I can find a good ankle holster for it. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chia has millions of people trolling the internet with propaganda about how awesome their military technology is and how the US and west would be no match for them.

I don't believe a word of it, nor should anyone else. And I've seen their aircraft carrier Liaoning in port in Dalian. Silly Russian ski jumps and all.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The folks who have never been able to skip smooth rocks on lakes will love this. Smile

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post