SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Q5 Steel frame?!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Q5 Steel frame?! Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I doubt that they'll offer a steel frame with the paddle magazine

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E_Rock81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, but I doubt that they'll offer a steel frame with the paddle magazine

I would settle for a button mag release steel framed PPQ. I too love the paddle release though.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
A steel framed PPQ M1, preferably with the Match grip, would have a good chance of bumping my Steyr M9-A1 from the top (& currently only) striker fire pistol spot in my collection.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's got removeable grip panels, right? Imagine one done up in high polish blue and a set of deluxe wood grip panels.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I believe the SF Match grip is a one piece wrap-around... but even so, one in wood with a high polish blued finish would definitely be worth 15 Benjamins!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Sounds like this is close to the CZ Shadow 2 price point. I just don't see that kind of value in the Walther.

Shadow 2 usually gets upgraded before it sees any competition, at least with springs and firing pin. CZ Custom Shadow 2 which is a ready to go top Production option, with springs, pin, competition hammer, and short reset disco, is $1588. It is also a one-division, Production, gun. This SF Walther is the same price, nearly same weight, likely very close trigger with those reduced spring, most likely very similar performance, and also is optic ready, making it out of box two-division ready to go competitor. I am not a Walther fan but I think the value is there.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The steel frame is just to exciting to pass on. I like steel guns and I have never tried a striker fired pistol. I have already ordered one. If I don't like it I can always pass it off to someone on the SF.

Posts: 1250 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
New video up:
https://youtu.be/raJOMDV1Eu8

Pretty sweet looking!

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
This would breathe some soul into that weapon!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's got removeable grip panels, right? Imagine one done up in high polish blue and a set of deluxe wood grip panels.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I can get these now. Email me for SF pricing.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Sounds like this is close to the CZ Shadow 2 price point. I just don't see that kind of value in the Walther.

Shadow 2 usually gets upgraded before it sees any competition, at least with springs and firing pin. CZ Custom Shadow 2 which is a ready to go top Production option, with springs, pin, competition hammer, and short reset disco, is $1588. It is also a one-division, Production, gun. This SF Walther is the same price, nearly same weight, likely very close trigger with those reduced spring, most likely very similar performance, and also is optic ready, making it out of box two-division ready to go competitor. I am not a Walther fan but I think the value is there.

I hear what you're saying and you make some good points. I agree that the Walther is set up as a multi division platform but I have also shot a Shadow 2 in Production, Limited, and Production Optics (dovetail mount). Also I can pick up a new Shadow for under a grand and the CGW goodies are pretty cheap and easy to install yourself.
I'm also a huge CZ fan so my bias may be coming out a bit. Smile
I am looking forward to seeing how the Walther does and would love to shoot a match with one some day.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot Shadow 2 as well, have a couple of them. It is not really competitive in Limited due to caliber, and I believe that the Production Optic is an IPSC division, right? Because it doesn't make the weight for carry optics of USPSA and the cheapest way of making it compliant runs about $350. As I mentioned, I am not really a Walther guy and I am not ditching my Shadows. My only point was that I thought the gun was reasonably cost effective if we think that 1 pound of extra weight over its polymer bro is worth the $$$.Considering that you and I and many others do find some redeeming quality in running and gunning with a 46 oz 9 mm gun, I think Walther will find a similar audience too.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
What is interesting to note is that in the original photo it looked like it came standard with an extended beveled magwell and would require mags with the longer base pads be used or M2 PPQ mags converted, but per the video posted above it looks like there are two models initially and the magwell is actually only on the pro model. There is also the standard model without it which is what they had to demonstrate, that uses the standard PPQ mags right out of the box. That is a very big deal for current PPQ owners interested in one of these, especially considering Walther mags tend to run in the $30 to $40 range and Mec-Gar isn't making aftermarket mags for them. Add to that the cost of the base pads to accommodate the extended magwell or the cost of the factory extended mags and it makes the mag investment even that much more expensive. Granted, someone looking at buying one of these will likely not have as much of an issue with the cost of the magazines, but paying almost twice as much for a magazine as what is available for some of the competitors can be a consideration for some, especially if you are going to be dropping them and beating them up to a degree in classes and competition.

As for the test firing in the video at 10 yards, I understand that there are shooter and ammo variables even though he looked like he was holding pretty steady, but I expect the guns themselves with the right ammo are going to be more representative of the test target (minus the flyer). Given my experience with the PPQ 4 and 5 inch models, I suspect Walther will deliver on these being very accurate and reliable. From the sound of it, we should have first-hand accounts here shortly from some members that have already ordered, although I'll be holding out for the paddle release model and some favorable news on this front at SHOT show. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what’s the street price on these ?

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
So what’s the street price on these ?

quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

E-mail sent along with a question on mags.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang I didn’t know anything about this gun. I’ve been getting weak over the Q5 for quite a while. I decided on the P210A instead but this might just pry my wallet back opethanks for posting.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks optic ready?

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Looks optic ready?

It is Smile

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel kind of so,so about it. I don't care for that large beaver tail, as it seems way over done. I like the grip though. I agree with some, that the milling is a little much but I am sure that has to do with cycling/weight/reliability, as it is a large pistol.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post