SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    *Update* - My P365 range report - haters please ignore and post your thoughts and concerns in another thread...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Update* - My P365 range report - haters please ignore and post your thoughts and concerns in another thread... Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
So I finally scored a P365 from Osage County Guns with there “Pay MAP, but get two free mags” deal. Received it on 7/5 and was just waiting for an opportunity to get to the range with it.

Then, Friday 7/13 I was able to score another deal at Cabela’s with their super special fiasco deal.

As it turns out, the one I got from Osage Co had a born date of 6/24/18 and the one from Cabela’s had a date of 6/29/18. The serial numbers are a little over 400 apart.

Finally got a chance to get to the range today, so decided to take both and run a variety of ammo through them. First off I stripped and cleaned them. Probably wasn’t needed as they were pretty well lubed from the factory. Not heavy grease but oil, wiped them down anyway looked them over, ran the bore snake though and oiled the barrel exteriors and greased the rails. I took a Sharpie and marked the magazines (three each, a short 10 round, 10 round with pinky extension, and 12 round).

Comparing the two on take down and assembly, gun two seemed a little more temperamental in getting the slide off and rotating the take down lever to reassemble. It actually seemed to lock/freeze in the 45 degree position after the slide came off and I had to manuipulate the slide lock and do some jiggling to get it to fully rotate so the slide could go back on.

Reading some of the horror stories, I wanted to watch for marks on the mags and know which gun any marks came from.

I don’t usually have too much variety of 9mm ammo, tend to buy Blazer Brass 115gr for range and Hornady 135gr +P for carry. The deal from Cabela’s included some Sig Elite ammo and I dug around the closet and came up with some additional odds and ends. I split what I had between the two samples so each went through the same number and type of ammo.

Each one got fed:

12 rounds Remington Range Pack 115gr FMJ
25 rounds Federal 115gr FMJ
50 rounds Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ
25 rounds Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ
25 rounds Sig Elite 124gr FMJ
32 rounds Harnady Critical Duty 135gr +P JHP

For a total of 169 rounds each.

Gun #1 had two failures. The first was with the 12 round mag on the Federal 115gr ammo. It happened on the 5th shot in the mag. The second failure was with the 10 round mags pinky extension mag, B.B. 124gr ammo on the 7th shot in the mag. Both were failures to extract/eject, with the spent cartridge about 1/2 way out of the chamber. Two different ammo brands/weights involved and two different mags. The failures might have been my fault as it was early on in the shooting and I was playing around with my grip some going between the different magazines.

After those, no problems with gun one. The 12 round mag did have a mark/scored line after removing it when it jammed. No other marking to the mags.

Gun #2 had zero failures. All rounds fired and no marks left on any magazines.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

I think the P365 is very pleasant to shoot. My most carried gun is the P938 and it took some getting used to. If not careful on your trigger finger, it likes to push left. The P365 (and I think most any small gun) will do the same, but the P365 seemed easier to me to keep a straight trigger pull on compared to the P938. It may just be because I am used to it after shooting the 938 though.

Compared to the P938, I found the P365 more comfortable to shoot and the slightly larger size made for a more comfortable grip. While I don’t really notice any weight difference between them, the P365 seems to be a softer shooter and I was surprised how even with the Hornandy +P it was not snappy.

As others have noted, it comes back on target quick and the X-Ray sights are easy to pick up. I was NOT shooting for best accuracy, but was doing rapid fire strings with doubles and triples. I had a very limited window of less than 2 hours to get through the 338 rounds between them along with 50 rounds though a new .357Sig conversion barrel on my P229ST.

All shots were at 25 feet and I was impressed with the “combat” accuracy of the 365. Very good groups with the vast majority falling in the 8-10 rings when dumping 10 round mags in as many seconds or less. I did do a few well aimed slow fired rounds and the gun is quite capable of accuracy and putting multiple rounds to a single ragged hole.

Bottom line, I really, really like it. While I am not going to deny or ignore the reported issues, I am going to keep it all in perspective and in mind that those with a problem tend to tell everyone about it while those without a problem rarely tell anyone. We all are aware of the issues, what I wish we could find out is what percentage of the guns actually have issues broken down to before and after the fixes that have been made.

I will need to get to the range again and put another 100-150 rounds or so through each before they go into my carry rotation but I am confident that they will be fine. Until then the P938 and P30SK will continue to be my EDC guns.

My “norm” is about 200-250 trouble free rounds to check a gun before I’ll carry it. I know some do many more but I am limited in not only ammo budget but range availability so doing 1000+ rounds before carrying a gun just isn’t in the cards for me. Today though I did buy a range membership (they had a half price sale going) $100 for handgun is very reasonable and as long as I can get 8 more visits in before next August I will have saved money. With the membership, I’ll make a point of trying to get there once a month instead of every two to three months.

Ammo is still cheap so I will order up some more and try to get both of them past the 1500 round mark over the remainder of the year.

At this point I am a happy Sig customer and remain cautiously optimistic. I’ll add tot his thread as time and experience goes on.

First 62 rounds from gun one...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had no malfunctions, hesitations, or issues with mine. It's functioned perfectly.

After the first thousand such trouble free rounds, I decided that another thousand were probably in order, given the nature of reports coming back, as others have gone 1500 or more, flawlessly, before the weapon completely failed.

The pistol is easy to shoot, comfortable, and fun. When I first shot it, I felt that the longer 12-round magazines helped significantly in control, as they had a longer grip. After a while, I found that it didn't really matter, and the mid-length 10 round magazines seemed the best compromise. The pistol is just short enough, though, that while retaining a grip on the pistol, dropping a magazine still needs some help from my free hand extracting the empty mag. The longer magazines make that easier.

I'll have to shoot a lot more before I consider it remotely reliable enough for carry, so the P365 remains an experiment. I place far too much priority on reliability to trust it at this stage, though it hasn't malfunctioned yet. To trust one for defense after a few hundred rounds, in my opinion, would be too great a risk.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
My “norm” is about 200-250 trouble free rounds to check a gun before I’ll carry it.

That's a pretty limited number of confirmation rounds for a semi-auto carry pistol. Especially given that most of your ammo volume is FMJ -- ammo that you hopefully won't be in the pistol during carry.

Posts: 7884 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the range report. Although I have nowhere near the amount of rounds through mine as many others have mine has run 100% and am really surprised at how nice of a shooter the P365 is. It is alarming hearing about the number of issues users had with them and I am sure SIG will get it all straightened out going forward.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report!

My feelings pretty much echo those in this report. I’m pushing 1k with my example (3/31 build). About half of the rounds have been on the hotter end with 124 NATO (WIN and MEN) and HST/Ranger 147. Considering how small the grip is, it’s really easy to shoot.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
My “norm” is about 200-250 trouble free rounds to check a gun before I’ll carry it.

That's a pretty limited number of confirmation rounds for a semi-auto carry pistol. Especially given that most of your ammo volume is FMJ -- ammo that you hopefully won't be in the pistol during carry.

The majority of “test” ammo is FMJ, but I always put 100 or so rounds of carry ammo through. Used to be Speer GoldDot 124+P, switched over to the Hornady Critical Duty in 2016.

While it may sound low, I put 50 rounds through one or two of my carry guns every range visit so over the course of the year they are getting another 300-400 rounds through them as well as having my carry rounds fired off about twice a year to put “fresh” ammo in to ward off rounds with setback from repeated chambering when loading/unloading.

Any issues with a carry gun and it is out of rotation until it is figured out, resolved, and gets some extra range time to confirm problem solved. To be honest, in just shy of 30 years with my CPL I’ve only had one or two guns that gave me any trouble.

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Just got my 365 a couple weeks ago. Now nearly 250 rounds, zero malfunctions. 16 May 2018 build. Pure pleasure.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
1200 rounds of my reloads thru mine with zero issues 7-1 build date. I couldn't be happier with it. going to try and put another 1000 rounds thru it this week. 12 round mags are the bomb. thanks for the report.

btw my reloads from my 650 press are cci 500 primer 7.5 gr AA7 124 gr. xtreme coper plated bullet.

Posts: 5602 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Excellent range report.

After my first couple hundred rounds fired from my 365, ( my usual new pistol break-in process, ) I feel confident in carrying mine, ( normally as a BUG, since that's what I bought it for. )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
1200 rounds of my reloads thru mine with zero issues 7-1 build date. I couldn't be happier with it. going to try and put another 1000 rounds thru it this week. 12 round mags are the bomb. thanks for the report.

btw my reloads from my 650 press are cci 500 primer 7.5 gr AA7 124 gr. xtreme coper plated bullet.

Nice report. Aside from running some factory and Underwood SD rounds, I have about 2000 rounds of my reloads through my P365. I am using 4.0gr. Titegroup under 124gr. Delta FMJ or Extreme Plated. Very accurate load out of that magnificent little gun.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
Born date on mine is 6-28-18 I have put around 200 rounds through it, not one hiccup, my self defense ammo is Federal 147 grain HST, so I have been practicing with that, and American Eagle 147 grain FMJ as the range ammo.

Everything works fine! I have picked up a 12 round magazine and that makes this pistol feel even better in the hand and is hardly that much longer then the extended pinky 10 round mag.

I'm testing that mag at the range today!

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlimMan
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and continued successful operation!

Posts: 268 | Location: Parrish FL | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I've been contemplating getting one for a couple of months, ordered one today. Can't wait to get it and hit the range. This will be my first striker fired handgun.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
The reassembly you mention is normal. The instructio manual mentions needing to push the slide catch up to fully rotate the disassembly lever to get the slide back on.

I was puzzled by this initially as it’s not the case with any other SIG I’ve ever owned, but as it’s in the manual, it’s not an issue, it’s part of the requirements of the design.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Second trip to the range and another 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 124gn FMJ and 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 135gn +P through each bringing the round count to 319 on each.

Zero malfunctions with either gun they shot wonderfully and no new marks on the magazines.

For me, the P365 is much easier to keep on target, much faster follow up shots, and it shoots stupid easy compared to the P938. I find I shoot it pretty much the same with any of the three magazine options.

They have officially replaced my P938 for EDC when I need to pocket carry.

Targets from today’s range visit...

posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the report and pics 911Boss!

It would be interesting to see what the improvement to accuracy would be running the same drills with the twelve round mags.

In the third pic, were the two rounds to the gnads the first two shots, intended to be a tactical 'warning feature', or are they the last two shots as a final coup de grace, as it were?!

Big Grin

Posts: 3492 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does the 365 compare with your HK P-30SK?
I've used their 15 round mags and they have performed perfectly. Nice to have 15 rounds in such a small package but it is a little chunky and heavy with 15 rounds.
I have the 30SKS-DA/SA and it's built like a tank.
I have ambi-safties and the decocker is a nice feature too.
I have big hands so the size doesn't bother me.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Thank you for posting the report and pics 911Boss!

It would be interesting to see what the improvement to accuracy would be running the same drills with the twelve round mags.

In the third pic, were the two rounds to the gnads the first two shots, intended to be a tactical 'warning feature', or are they the last two shots as a final coup de grace, as it were?!

Big Grin

I was using 10 round flush, 10 round pinky extension, and 12 round mags (loaded with 10) and cycling through. I believe the dump/reload/dump exercise was the extended and pinky mag. It really wasn’t something I normally do and wasn’t expecting to. I was just so pleased with the single/double/triple taps that I wanted to see how I could do squeezing rounds off as fast as the sights came back on target. I was actually expecting to get a warning from the range dude as they usually frown at anything faster than 1 shot per second. Maybe since I am a member now they are more lenient.

I have no idea where in the string those low fliers were. I do know that the flyer at 2 o’clock was actually from the upper right target string of 50 singles/doubles/triples. Except for those 2 at 6 o’clock, the other ones all hit the target. Couple of double and one near triple hole.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
How does the 365 compare with your HK P-30SK?
I've used their 15 round mags and they have performed perfectly. Nice to have 15 rounds in such a small package but it is a little chunky and heavy with 15 rounds.
I have the 30SKS-DA/SA and it's built like a tank.
I have ambi-safties and the decocker is a nice feature too.
I have big hands so the size doesn't bother me.

Apples and oranges. My P30SK is the V1 so long initial trigger pull and much more reset compared to the P365. As you said, it’s “chunkier”. I also have a P30LS V3 with the decocker. I find that after shooting the Sigs for a while (also have some P320s and P226/9) when switching to the H&K I will short stroke if I am not careful.

Still love them, just a different experience.