SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just bought a G20 and Wow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought a G20 and Wow Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I actually found a good stock of Sig 10MM ammo at Cabelas!! Big Grin

Have not had a chance to shoot it yet but the reports and gel tests seem ok.

Also looking to order some bulk from GA Arms, any use their ammo? I had always heard their stuff was pretty good and have been meaning to order some 44mag ammo as well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
good purchase. I like 10mm a lot. I have a couple G20 pistols, a G40 MOS (LOTS of fun!) an a 1911 Rock Island in 10mm.
I've used some GA ammo and it seemed a bit hotter than the bulk of the other range fodder ammo on the market. Not like "real" 10mm, but still a bit more than just warmed up 40SW.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the G20C. 10mm is fun to shoot. I always research the velocity of 10mm before I buy. Sig makes good 10mm.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sig is the best 10mm fmj practice ammo I have tried.
Not soft like a .40 but not a monster thump you don’t mind shooting a few hundred rounds at a time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 10mm sweet spot for me is 180 grains at 1200 FPS.
Moderate recoil and good power.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I was dead set on getting one, but now I'm looking at a .460Rowland conversion. The lack of a comp is a benefit for the 20.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
good purchase. I like 10mm a lot. I have a couple G20 pistols, a G40 MOS (LOTS of fun!) an a 1911 Rock Island in 10mm.
I've used some GA ammo and it seemed a bit hotter than the bulk of the other range fodder ammo on the market. Not like "real" 10mm, but still a bit more than just warmed up 40SW.

Which do you prefer, your G20 or RIA? I've read differing opinions on which distributes recoil better.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Sig is the best 10mm fmj practice ammo I have tried.
Not soft like a .40 but not a monster thump you don’t mind shooting a few hundred rounds at a time.

Good to hear, I picked up 200 rounds of the stuff and 100 of their 180gr SD stuff.

Hitting the range this weekend and then either off to Cold Bore or my work bench for a grip reduction.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron Chef—-
It’s close....The RIA is heavy. I haven’t weighed them, but the RIA feels even heavier than my Stainless Ruger 1911 in 10mm.
The G20 does fine with recoil, it must be the polymer flexing. I dunno.
But as far as capacity, weight, etc....the G20 comes out on top, IMO. Plus I don’t feel bad about banging it around on the tractor, 4 wheeler and other stuff while out and about on the ranch.
Now, range time and competition....the G40 with an RMR really shines. Smile

Yeah, I forgot about the Ruger 1911 in 10mm.
Oh, and the 5” P220 in 10mm.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Iron Chef—-
It’s close....The RIA is heavy. I haven’t weighed them, but the RIA feels even heavier than my Stainless Ruger 1911 in 10mm.
But as far as capacity, weight, etc....the G20 comes out on top, IMO. Plus I don’t feel bad about banging it around on the tractor, 4 wheeler and other stuff while out and about on the ranch.

That's what I was wondering. Some shooters say a heavy steel frame handles recoil better. Others say the flexing of the polymer works better. So you're saying that in your experience the difference is at best minimal?

quote:

Are you forgetting about a S&W 1006 and Colt Delta Elite 10mm too?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i picked up my G20 as a birthday present last December. It was in the used case for $459, and I couldnt resist. I've shot 100 rounds through it since i got it and I love it. I bought two boxes of the S&B ammo when i got it, so thats all I've put through it. I'll have to try the Sig stuff.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Iron Chef—-

That's what I was wondering. Some shooters say a heavy steel frame handles recoil better. Others say the flexing of the polymer works better. So you're saying that in your experience the difference is at best minimal?

quote:

Are you forgetting about a S&W 1006 and Colt Delta Elite 10mm too?

I don’t consider myself too bad recoil sensitive. And there is definitely a difference in the recoil impulse, but I find it hard to articulate.
The RIA seems (to me) quite front heavy. The G20 balances better (again, to me) but still handles the recoil quite well.

The other two pistols? Ha! I wish! And a GP100 in 10mm, while we are at it! Smile

Heck, where in Texas are you? If you’re close you’re welcome to find out for yourself.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the MOS model 40.

I'd also highly suggest a good 1911 whenever one presents itself.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
The LGS had 3-4 1911 in 10mm and a least one P220....evidently 10mm is popular in TX Big Grin

But since I bought 6 G20 a couple years ago....well...you know

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
The G40MOS is more fun with a RDS. Just a sweet pistol. I bought it just for Alaskan vacation carry.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of 10mm and the Glock 29 for me is perfect for the woods. Nothing much rain can harm, recoil is not a problem and if needed that baby can zap hard coming from the business end.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1552 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
My woods and new carry gun. Very happy with these.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the recoil of my G20 to be very manageable, less than what I was told to expect.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post