SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Arizona State Troopers are going Glock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona State Troopers are going Glock Login/Join 
posted
As of late 2018 the Glock 17 Gen 5 9mm was announced as the new sidearm, though current troopers can still use their FNS Longslide 40 and or 9MM and the P226 40 if they prefer not to transition to the Glock. https://www.azdps.gov/about

Im really a avid fan of the Arizona Highway Patrol (DPS) and besides being a really big fan of FN firearms it's pains me to see them going away from the FN's I know a few Troopers down in AZ and they all had great things to say about the FNS Longslide duty sidearms they had a few that had problems but most were very good. Im glad the current Troopers can still carry them as well as the Sig Sauers, but I don't like how the new Troopers only get to carry the Glock 17 Gen5 but any how I think and know the Glocks will serve them well too. Im also love Sig Sauer's, Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson and Beretta but I do own three Glocks two Glock 22 Gen3 and Gen4 and a Glock 19X I'm really falling hard in love with my 19X IMHO the best Glock of all time and would love to add a Glock 45 9MM and a 17 Gen5 and a Glock 31 and 34 and 35 also.

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the flood of police turn-in guns in the local guns stores.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

If they do. When the WV State Police went to Glocks, they first offered the old S&W's to the individual officers, that didn't leave many for the surplus market.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybirdaccountant,

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, neighboring PD switched from SIG P220 to Glocks and the buy back was $275 so the officers bought them all back. None left for me Frown

We get to buy back our Glock 31s for $230 once I get everyone switched over to new Glocks next week.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Az DPS made a great choice and move..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some interesting news and a tidbit of information about the Arizona DPS Troopers when the retire they get to buy their Duty Sidearm and Colt Patrol Rifle back for only a $1.00 that’s right Boys and Girls just a buck you heard me right a buck.

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They earned the right for that dollar buy back god bless

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
Any word on the 9mm duty ammo?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 617 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Kyle K:
Got some interesting news and a tidbit of information about the Arizona DPS Troopers when the retire they get to buy their Duty Sidearm and Colt Patrol Rifle back for only a $1.00 that’s right Boys and Girls just a buck you heard me right a buck.

On my department if you retire after 20 years of service you can purchase your duty handgun back for $1. Never thought about the rifle. May have to propose that idea.

When we trade in our handguns the officer has the option to buy their handgun back for whatever the manufacturer gives as trade in.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, we heard you the first time. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, they deserve the $1 buy back. Good for them.

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless things have changed drastically, retiring officers can buy back only one of their issued weapons for $1.00 not all of them.

When I retired from DPS the state law and department policy was that the retiree could purchase one issued weapon at fair market value. I could chose between my 870, P220 or P230.

The department wanted $650 for my 12 year old P220/45. I passed. State law and department policy subsequently changed after my retirement.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I don't have to wait. My sons dept made the change from a Glock Mod 22 gen 4 in 40 cal to 9mm last month and with the help of his Sister and Mother I got the best Christmas gift a guy could ask for, his former duty pistol. It also came with several hundred rounds of range ammo. I plan to start practicing with it this weekend. Even though it was the only gift I got I'm a very happy camper and I will charish it allways.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good friend hated he had to give up the Sig he'd been carrying for 15 yrs for the FN

he had the opportunity to buy it for $450 but was through a third party company and not his original issue so there was really no sentimental aspect, he passed

he HATES the Glock but has a 290RS for BUG

Glock bought every HK, so iffy if we see any on the open mArket

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
$319 seems like a good deal??
http://summitgunbroker.com/-fns-40-l.html

Hmmmmm, I have thousands of rounds of .40 but nothing chambered in .40.

We transitioned from G22s to G17s we had the option to buy them going through an FFL.
After taxes and fees it could be yours for $385 Roll Eyes great price for a 12 year old Glock.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baltimore County PD is also transitioning from the FNS-40 Long Slide to the Generation 5 Glock after problems with the FNS. My former agency is supposedly going to transition from the FNS-9 to the 9mm Glock. That makes sense as the chief is doing his best to turn the department into a replica of the D.C. Metropolitan Police, but I imagine funding priority will go to the Coffee with a Cop program or another recruiting video starring the chief.

We experienced significant issues with the transition from .40 SIG 226's and 239's to the FNS. The firearms training coordinator at the time really pushed pistol-mounted lights and we experienced multiple double feeds. We also found that the prominent ambidextrous magazine release often dropped magazines from a holstered weapon. At least one night sight failed and a weapon that fell from an officer's holster is slide lock ended up out of service until the factory could repair it.

To FN America's credit, they owned the problems. They replaced the barrels and magazines which largely corrected the problems. Since I was retired, however, two weapons failed. I believe one had a broken trigger spring and the other suffered a large crack in the frame.

We don't have any provision for retirees to purchase or be gifted their weapons (not that this chief would be inclined to do so). I did purchase my last three service pistols (Ruger Service Six, SIG 226 in 9mm, SIG 226R in .40--didn't count the .40 226 I had until I got the 226R). I don't think I'd be inclined to purchase the FNS-9.

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you all think I should get a Glock 17 Gen5 or a Gen4 to go along with my 19X?

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
It's been a while, but Scottsdale Gun Club used to get waves of police turn-ins in and sold them sometimes for $289. Last one I snagged there was a 22 about four years ago. I think Phoenix PD all carry Glock 22s now, but forget if they're Gen 3 or 4. I think they rotate every five or so years.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kyle, I'd go for Generation 5, but either cost or a desire to expand your collection may tip the scales toward the Gen 4. You obviously have self defense covered so I think preference is more the deciding factor.

Posts: 24 | Registered: December 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:

Unless things have changed drastically, retiring officers can buy back only one of their issued weapons for $1.00 not all of them.

When I retired from DPS the state law and department policy was that the retiree could purchase one issued weapon at fair market value. I could chose between my 870, P220 or P230.

The department wanted $650 for my 12 year old P220/45. I passed. State law and department policy subsequently changed after my retirement.

You guys carried a P230? Was that issue?

Posts: 440 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post