SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Vintage P-Series "Zipperback" v. "Dovetail" Magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage P-Series "Zipperback" v. "Dovetail" Magazines Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Early P-Series SIG Sauer pistols were supplied with a number of magazine types. Two that are often referenced on SIGforum are the zipperback and dovetail varieties. While similar in construction, there are distinctions as illustrated in the attached photos. (The photos are representative only and do not indicate proprietary usage with a specific model.)

Zipperback (P220 magazine)

Dovetail (P228 magazine)

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Early P-Series SIG Sauer pistols were supplied with a number of magazine types. Two that are often referenced on SIGforum are the zipperback and dovetail varieties. While similar in construction, there are distinctions as illustrated in the attached photos. (The photos are representative only and do not indicate proprietary usage with a specific model.)

Zipperback (P220 magazine)

Dovetail (P228 magazine)

Interesting is that a 10 round P220 zipperback? I have never seen one

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
My 1991 P228 came with zipperback mags.

My 1988 P226 came with dovetail..

The 10rd mags that came with my HK USPC were dovetail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1lowlife,

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There are no zipperback P226 mags, an interesting factoid I learned from Mustang-Papa.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s assuming that a dove-tail width pattern would make for a lousy zipper!
Smile

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
There are no zipperback P226 mags, an interesting factoid I learned from Mustang-Papa.

What? <runs upstairs and paws through stash of German P226 magazines>. I'll be dammed. Never knew that. I have both types of P228 mags but only dovetailed P226 mags, and I've got some old ones.

Learn something new everyday Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Every early SIG magazine on eBay and GunBroker is advertised as a "zipperback" when in reality 99.9% are dovetails. One of the wider misunderstandings.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
Every early SIG magazine on eBay and GunBroker is advertised as a "zipperback" when in reality 99.9% are dovetails.

Even on here, many times.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
Interesting is that a 10 round P220 zipperback? I have never seen one

It's an optical illusion. The magazine is a standard 7-round affair.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:

Smile

The real early P226 dove-tail mags also came with metal base plates with P226 stamped on them.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:

Smile

The real early P226 dove-tail mags also came with metal base plates with P226 stamped on them.

Q

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
Every early SIG magazine on eBay and GunBroker is advertised as a "zipperback" when in reality 99.9% are dovetails.

Even on here, many times.

I have been guilty of that, and appreciate this thread to show the difference

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post