SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P938 Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P938 Question Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have a lot of rounds thru one ? Are they working ? The internet reviews are all over the place and I wanted a no BS report from folks that have first hand experience
I kind of want one but my impression is that at least early on they were having problems.
thanks to anyone with any info

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Early P938s had two definite problems.
* The two-piece screwed-together recoil spring guide rod would unscrew itself. Loctite wasn’t a fix.
* The main spring housing (MSH) would degrade with weird effects, including full auto.

The P238 had the same MSH, but seldom had that problem because of its softer recoil.

Both problems are now solved on the P938. The redesigned MSH works in the P238 too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Lots of rounds through my Feb 2014 P938 NMR-AMBI- Serial Number: 52A045xxx, purchased 2/2014. Very reliable, soft shooter, accurate.

Early model and I replaced the Main Spring Housing with the new version. Still using the original 2 piece guide rod, which has never come loose. I do check it after firing but, so far, not unscrewing.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Mine works fine, mid or latter date.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, may have to try one

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if you consider 750 rounds as a lot but that’s what I have through my 938 without a single problem or incident

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have about 500 rounds through mine. I have huge hands, so the P938 isn’t really fun to shoot. No reliability issues, but I proactively changed the grips and mainspring housing, as well as installed a 1 piece recoil guide rod at about the 300 round mark.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No issues with mine. Very accurate for its size. Depending on how old your gun is, you may have an issue with mags dropping out under recoil. I had to send a 238 and 938 back for that issue.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
2016 manufacturing date. I have had no issues whatsoever. I proactively replaced MSH. Changed the trigger, due to hurting my finger during prolonged range use. Not everybody has a problem with the original trigger. Also changed the grips from the original Rosewood to Hogue BRG's. The grips and trigger really improved shoot-ability.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I bought mine two years after introduction, SN 80,xxx. The early models used the P238 extractor which had issues, SIG made a 9mm extractor which solved it. Not many rounds thru it to know if the recoil spring or MSH were a problem.

The MAGAZINE spring however was the worst I ever encountered, very high rate to feed ammo for what must be a high cyclic rate. I was finally to the point of admitting I needed a mag loader for it when I sold it, because of the magazines and the small lever sticking up off the frame which has to be delicately placed during reassembly. It's not a major issue but I've never had that in any other handgun as maintenance is required and special procedures are not memory friendly at my age.

I sold it with about ten years on it, which is the half life of night sights. They were starting to age and that was another issue.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Longjohn,

I’m not sure what you consider a large number of rounds but I have some input.

I had a later release with the newer mainspring housing and sear spring. After approximately 5000 rounds I had an issue where it would only fire 1 round then the trigger would jam. If I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled it would fire 1 round and jam.

After a week of investigation I sent it back to SIG and they claimed the frame was cracked by the slide release pin. I never did see it, but with a black frame I do not doubt their findings. The communications were not great but the service was fine. They said they would replace the frame, but in actuality they replace the entire gun.

I only had one other issue at about 2000 rounds where the firing pin block cracked. Keep in mind I had 2000 rounds through it but at least another 2000 dry fire cycles into it. They sent a replacement and I put it in.

I think it may be good for the average shooter, but if you are planning thousands of rounds you will want to keep an eye on it. Of course this is only a sample of 1.

Be well,

Posts: 15 | Registered: November 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of manac
posted Hide Post
My 2015 P938 had the mag drop problem during my 500 round shakedown before I’de carry it. Once it came back from Sig it was good. I recommend it but make sure it’s good before you trust your life with it (Like any gun).

Posts: 18 | Location: NH | Registered: November 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one around 2015. Thing ran like a greased pig. I shot the hell out of it for the time I had it, only reason I got rid of it was that I couldn’t get used to a gun with a safety. Other than that it was a great carry gun. I have yet to shoot something in that size class that shoots as well

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P938 I traded for back around 2014 shot great. I did replace the recoil spring after 1000 rounds as I did not know it's round count. I must have put 2-3 thousand rounds through it with no malfunctions that I recall.

Great little 9mm's from my experience unless you get a lemon.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I have two 938’s, a Combat and a Legion.
I have experienced zero issues with either.
I dont know round counts on either, I know neither of them are in the thousands.

sigguy (the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I have yet to shoot a P938 and curious how snappy the recoil is, compared to say the P239 or P225?

It would appear Hogue's black rubber grip and the mag w/pinky extension would provide the most comfortable firing experience... but comparisons to guns I know well are few/non-existent.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
I have all three of these Sigs, and the 938 is a good bit more snappy than the other two. Still very easy to shot well. I use my 938 for concealed carry a good bit of the time that I'm carrying.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concur with buggsboy. They work, they are accurate, they are very much like a 1911, which is good and bad. They are snappy, and they will give you feeding issues if you fail to maintain a solid grip when firing and neglect to keep it clean and well lubricated. That's easily mitigated with the Hogue grip and the pinky extension. It's a lot less snappy than I remember the original P3AT being, and slightly less than a J frame .38+P? Very subjective. Loved mine as a carry piece, only sold it because the P365 replaced it and I wasn't shooting it for fun.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two P938’s, no problems with either of them. Great for pocket carry until the P365 rendered them “obsolete” for me.

Definitely a bit of a learning curve to shoot well, but a good gun if you like the 1911 style and need something small.

If you haven’t considered the P365, take a look. Better capacity, pretty much same size and (for me at least) shoots a better, and less snappy.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only issue with ours was the magazines. I promptly began utilizing Kimber mags which solved that issue for my SAS.

Too many SIGs .. ... Nah not really

Posts: 361 | Location: AL | Registered: August 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post