SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on P229 & P226 SAO Legions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on P229 & P226 SAO Legions? Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
I'm a big 1911 lover, but also have carried the P226 (in 9mm) for a duty weapon for many years and think its an extremely reliable option. Now that there's Legion versions of the P229 and P226 available with the SAO (Single Action Only) trigger, I'm seriously considering ordering one or the other. Do any members have experience with either and care to pass it on?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with them but they seem like a great option,especially the 226. There are several in my area for sale,unfortunately/fortunately at pretty low prices,around $700-800. It is a great time to get one or two.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
Pulicords: I generally carry a 1911. I had a 226 Legion SAO for a short while. Gun was great to shoot. However, when carrying it in a belt speed scabbard holster, the ambidextrous safety on the right (exposed) side of the pistol was always found in a fire position. Anything, seat belt, chair arm etc. would inadvertently dis-engage the safety. With no grip safety, I did not feel it was very safe for daily carry.

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the 226 and 229 SAO Legions. They are both great shooters but I prefer the 229. It just seems to fit my hadn better. I do have to agree with Chief 1200 that the safgety would be a concern for carrying.

239 .40 229 .40/.357 226 SAO Legion
220-r 45 224 SAS .40
M11-A1 P938
Mosquito
H&K P7 PSP
Colt Delta Elite 10mm
Colt Python
S&W 629-1
S&W 41
NRA Patron Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO

Posts: 30 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have Legions in P226 SAO and P220 SAO. Also a P220 Elite 10mm SAO. I have to say the Legions are the best shooting pistols I have ever owned and are my favorites. Blackpoint Tactical makes a holster that protects the safety. Tucker Gunleather will also make a holster with a thumb strap that goes under the hammer as an added measure of safety-It's what I have for my 10mm.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got both and really like them The 226 may actually become my favorite handgun. The grip on the 226 really fits my hand and is natural pointing. Trigger on my 226 is also a little smoother than my 229. Have not tried carrying either yet. The goal for the 226 is to shoot IDPA with it. I shoot and carry 1911's and up until recently my favorite pistol in 9mm was the Browning hi Power.

That said I originally bought a 226 Elite SAO, it went back to the factory twice for a defective safety and on the 2nd time Sig replaced it with the 226 Legion SAO. On the Elite, when the safety was engaged I could rack the slide and that would slightly depress the safety lever but it looked like it was still engaged, after returning to battery the trigger could be pulled and would drop the hammer. Not confidence inspiring on an SAO pistol. On the second trip back, Sig stated that it was a defective frame and offered me any handgun n their lineup to replace it with, I went with the 226 Legion SAO.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11777 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Have a P226 Legion SAO.

Very accurate and reliable, just as one would expect. Load it up with extended MecGars and it's a fine, if somewhat large, companion on a road trip.

The only thing I don't care for is that the safety is just a touch too high to ride with comfort. I have XXL hands for perspective.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the P229 and P226 legion SAO's. I'm very happy with both of them. If I had to pick one (wouldn't part with either) it would be the P229. For me it seems to have an ever so slightly better balance. They're both laser beams in terms of accuracy.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
Pulicords: I generally carry a 1911. I had a 226 Legion SAO for a short while. Gun was great to shoot. However, when carrying it in a belt speed scabbard holster, the ambidextrous safety on the right (exposed) side of the pistol was always found in a fire position. Anything, seat belt, chair arm etc. would inadvertently dis-engage the safety. With no grip safety, I did not feel it was very safe for daily carry.

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys! Based in part on what I've gotten here and my overall impressions when compared side by side with a P226SAO, I decided to purchase a P320X Carry. I'm looking forward to testing it out in the next day or two.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post