SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying a new gun without a range trip
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a new gun without a range trip Login/Join 
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I had a G27 that was a disaster right out of the box. Frequent failures to fire and failures to feed. Sent it back to Smyrna and it still wasn’t 100%. I ended up selling the gun and replaced it with a G26 that has been flawless. Even Glocks can have problems when new. Don’t trust it until you’ve tested it to your satisfaction.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 987 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
I had a G27 that was a disaster right out of the box. Frequent failures to fire and failures to feed. Sent it back to Smyrna and it still wasn’t 100%. I ended up selling the gun and replaced it with a G26 that has been flawless. Even Glocks can have problems when new. Don’t trust it until you’ve tested it to your satisfaction.

This^^^^^

That was the model I had and the same experience. I just couldn't remember at the time I made my post since I can't remember all the Glock models off the top of my head. I sold mine with full disclaimer.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My life is way to valuable to me to trust to a gun that has never even been fired, YMMV. Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
We all know how relyable Glock pistols can be but if you take that chance before you check it out then you don't need to carry a gun at all. Sounds brutal, but you don't know if you can even shoot it straight. All but a few people are saying " Don't do it " and you would do good to pay attention to them. I like to put at least 200 rds through a gun before I will consider the gun reliable, Glock or not!

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Definitely test it at the range first. Even if the gun is reliable the magazine could have problems.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"This should be good, no doubt. From actually investigating shootings, and standing in courtrooms in the aftermath, the guys that are insistent on the 167.5 rounds of ammo are in much larger trouble because of their desire to practice killing people and ensure that they are ready to kill people because they have a ritual they engage in before they go out looking for trouble. And they ridicule others for not having the same pre-kill planned ritual...."

Jones-

You need some real world experience.
And more training.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I don't carry anything that I don't know how to operate 100% and it has ben run at least 500 rounds without a FTFeed or FTFire. That's why I stick to Sig P series, I can take them apart and put them back together in the dark. May sound silly but you never know what might happen in the world. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its better than nothing but I have plenty of carry options so I make sure I shoot before I carry any new gun.

Its different than dryfire and theres guns I shoot differently. Not everything is guaranteed POA/POI. Putting some rounds through it lets me get a feel for the gun and make sure that I'm running it properly.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I prefer to at least shoot some ammo first. But I picked carry it.

I've never had a glock have a failure of any kind. Except for the G27 that blew up because bad factory Ammo. Even then new extractor & new mags & she was good to go. Bullet still would have hit bad guy. *shrug*

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"This should be good, no doubt. From actually investigating shootings, and standing in courtrooms in the aftermath, the guys that are insistent on the 167.5 rounds of ammo are in much larger trouble because of their desire to practice killing people and ensure that they are ready to kill people because they have a ritual they engage in before they go out looking for trouble. And they ridicule others for not having the same pre-kill planned ritual...."

Jones-

You need some real world experience.
And more training.

Bruce
I have been on this forum for many years and I have not read a post yet where anyone said they wanted to practice killing people. I retired from the Army as an MP and handled firearms longer than you have been breathing. I know the rules for deadly force probably as good as you or maybe even better. I hope you are not insinuating that everyone that wants to fire 197.2 - 500 rds or more through an unfamiliar gun that they want to carry only want to kill people better. Hell no, they only want to make dam sure the gun works every time they pull the trigger. Yes! everyone needs as much training on the range and in the class room as the can get but not all can afford it. How much shooting time do you get in a year?

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I'm in strong agreement that a gun must be tested first before carrying; however, I will say that in my experience, if you absolutely had to carry without testing, the brand and caliber that is most likely to be reliable is a Glock 9mm...

Older Classic P-Series 9mm Sigs are right there, too...

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much common sense to test fire the piece before carrying. With the quality (or lack thereof) in any manufacturer's QC program, and I mean ALL the major players, you'd be a fool to trust any gun right out of the box. Clean, re-lube, then test fire till you're comfortable with the controls, the sight alignment and it's ability to feed your carry ammunition. Short of that, you're trusting to fate. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Glock 27 since 2005. It has gone almost everywhere with me. It is my backup gun as well.
The pros, it is small enough to carry on you person inside or outside the waistband. You put it in a small fanny bag with other items. I do this when I ride my bicycle. You can use a Glock 23 or 22 magazine as an extra mag.
Cons, I carry mostly inside the waistband. The G27 can be uncomfortable after a while. A Glock 23 holster will help with the discomfort. It does for me. That is the only downside for me.
I do not use the pinky extention. For me it doesn't work. I shoot the G27 without it pretty well.
It works well as a backup. I carry my G27 in my vest under my left arm. It doesn't bother me and I do not notice it's there. I don't think you can wrong with it.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to free up some time and went to an indoor range (hourly rental) and ran two boxes and 2 mags of carry ammo without any issues.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While not a Glock fan (H&K's) I will ALWAYS test out the gun before carrying. I have never had a problem with an H&K so I could be tempted, but NO! I always go through manufactured FMJ, JHP, handloaded FMJ, and handloaded JHP's and if there have been no incidents the gun is ready to carry.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I was able to free up some time and went to an indoor range (hourly rental) and ran two boxes and 2 mags of carry ammo without any issues.

Good for you! And I'd bet you had fun doing so.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before carrying: 500 (preferably 700) minimum round count including double-taps with your carry ammunition.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I haven't had many different carry guns over this past three decades but with each one I shoot 'em. Not just one range visit, but several. I test myself with it as well as test the gun. I want to verify that it eats the defensive ammo I prefer. I want to verify that it cycles like it should. I want to see how the brass ejects. I want to experience its felt recoil and muzzle flip. I want to figure out any idiosyncrasies about the gun and work through them if I can before, God forbid, I might have to call upon the weapon.

So no, I do not and would not carry without shooting the prospective firearm first.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a Glock, I would not hesitate to do so. But I wouldn't make a habit out of it, though.

I had my original first carry G19 Gen2 jam on me, many, many rounds in from once it was new. Turned out it was ready for a new set of springs and I'd forgotten about that maintenance...or more likely just taken it for granted that it would be as reliable as it always had been previously. When that happened it took me a long while to get over it, even though I ultimately figured out the problem. So I don't take it as gospel that any Glock is going to be reliable, regardless of whether it's new or thousands of rounds into its life. I've sold to experienced shooters a number of other Glocks that a few have stated sporadic problems right out of the box. The G36 had its share of problems when it was first released. And don't forget about the first Gen4 G19s and G17s and its RSA-induced stoppages.

The G42: some G42s have had reliability issues right out of the box; however it doesn't affect all guns or even most of them. I sold at least a couple to our customers who later came back to report stovepiping and other cycling stoppages. A coworker reported the same with two or three of his sales. One was a guy who had bought a second G42; his first one went to his wife and functioned flawlessly but the second would intermittently jam, regardless of ammo or who was shooting the gun. I had been told by a local Glock armorer that some G42s needed a "break-in" period for whatever reason (Blasphemy!) and had seen similar postings on the web--including here on the forum--that repeated the same. In turn I passed that info along to the customer, though it was met with a somewhat incredulous scowl if I recall correctly. That customer however later reported back that his G42 "fixed itself" after about 250 or so rounds of shooting the heaviest loads of .380 that he could find.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Bad juju to carry an unproven firearm.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post