SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Adding a Green Dot to my P239, remove the rear sight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding a Green Dot to my P239, remove the rear sight? Login/Join 
posted
I am sending in my P239 slide to Galloway Precision for an optics cut. The Holosun 507k comes with raised notches for a crude rear site, so am planning on having them remove the rear sight. This will allow the sight to be located farther aft.

What does SF recommend?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with a sig 365. It is a very crude rear sight to say the least. I had a hard time finding a front sight. There is no exact spec for an optic cut so I don’t think every shop cuts the same.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The irons are just a backup anyway, and even most supressor-height sights don't give you a ton of clearance over the optic body unless you get absolutely huge ones, so I would have no problem using the rear notch on the optic as the rear sight, provided it indexes to proper POA/POI with the front blade that you have installed. More than likely you will have to replace or modify your front sight in order for them to index properly.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run actual suppressor height sights on everything with a dot. And they are all perfectly usable. At least for a serious gun I can't imagine why you would do anything else.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I am going to have them mill off the rear site, and use the dot attached nubs, plus a suppressor front sight.

I need to buy suppressor front sights now for 4 pistols, so when the slide comes back I will start measuring and calculating what height I need. Thanks for all the help.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 507k will co-witness with most standard sights on a gun. Leave your sights alone and have it milled in front of your existing sights. The red dot negates having the need to have the red dot sit back further on the slide.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very helpful, I did not know this.

What about machining the slide so the iron sights are at 1/3rd lower co-witness?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

posted Hide Post
I spoke to Galloway Precision, they say the optic cut will require a taller front sight. Either way, I would want the front sight to be lower 1/3 co-witness or even less. Possibly lower 1/5th, just enough to see them in the bottom of the window.

-c1steve