SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    barrel scratch on new gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel scratch on new gun Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
I got a P365 NIB built in late July 2021. When I took it apart to lube, I noticed a scratch on the barrel, about 1/16" long. It is deep enough that you can feel your fingernail catch on it.

Is this something I should let bother me? Will it negatively affect the inside of the slide due to lack of smoothness or whatever? Even if it's only cosmetic, it bothers me that it got past QC, unless QC doesn't consider it a defect.

Note: click on pics below to enlarge.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It will not hurt anything.

If you are really concerned, rub the scratch with a chrome socket, and burnish the scratch so there is no high spot.

Proper lubed/oiled it should not be a rust problem.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
seems every "new" gun I have has some type of imperfection. Some bother me more than others, but since this is hidden and not affecting function, I'd be inclined to ignore it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10888 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weird. But, if it shoots well, I'd leave it alone and not worry about it.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It wouldn’t bother me if it were mine. Of course I like a little honest rash on my carry guns.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Probably wouldn't bother me, unless it's a cut to bare metal, and you carry it daily.

Sweat and humid/rain weather are not friendly to uncoated metals and rust could form.

Performance and operation wise it's probably nothing, but, it's a new gun if it's of concern, contact sig to replace the barrel...

Posts: 23363 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
As long as it functions fine and won’t cause any future issues it wouldn’t bother me at all.

I have a G43 that my buddy scratched the slide when it was new forcing it into a holster. He was very apologetic but I coulda cared less. But, that’s just me.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is going to be a "Safe Queen" or something that has some sentimental value, then you may want to look into it.

If it's going to be a shooter; nothing to worry about.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8331 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Make sure there isn’t a burr or other issue that is causing it but beyond that just make sure it runs and if all is good it’s just the “first scratch” on the new car. Obvious at first and completely forgotten in no time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The folks in Afghanistan who made that barrel weren’t particularly careful with the rattle can of spray paint Wink

Posts: 423 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Like the monkey said, I'd burnish the high spot down.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It will not hurt anything.

If you are really concerned, rub the scratch with a chrome socket, and burnish the scratch so there is no high spot.

Proper lubed/oiled it should not be a rust problem.

"Chromed socket" I gotta find a barrel with a scratch so I can try that.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You have to use a 10mm Chromed socket Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I have a June 2021 build with a decent 'nick' in the barrel. I wasn't really worried about it but will try the socket thing or just send it to CCR for some CPII. I'll make sure to use a 10MM. Big Grin

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Seems fine. I'd be concerned if it rode on the lock up surfaces.

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't lie; it would bug me. The theory goes that I paid for new and not for defects, no matter how superficial or insignificant this flaw ultimately proves to be. Now if however there were say, an appropriate recompense out of the situation, I betcha I could suppress that annoyed feeling in a New York minute...amazing how a little financial kickback goes such long and satisfying way. Big Grin

Shallow attitude and joking aside, if in the case that the scratch had exposed bare metal I would remain concerned even with an agreed upon discount. The P365 is intended to be a carry weapon, and in my case I sadly know just how caustic my body sweat can be to carbon steel. A scratch on a SIG slide where the base metal is typically stainless? Not so much an ongoing concern. But bared carbon steel (I assume that's what SIG uses for its pistol barrels), even buried inside the gun's outer "shell"...yeah, that would need fixing.

-MG

Posts: 1970 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
It would "bother" me insofar as I purchased a new firearm which one would ordinarily expect to be free of cosmetic flaws. In practical application however, the ding you have highlighted will very likely never present an issue to you or even subsequent owners. A countless number of firearms with far worse dings and bruises have been performing flawlessly for decades. As for oxidation, I'd place that concern in the non-issue column. Even if some light oxidation developed on the bare metal, it is easily addressed through routine cleaning and maintenance of your firearm. Enjoy!

Posts: 3501 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would bother me too for the same reasons that some the earlier posts mention. Such imperfections could also have come from someone careless at the gun shop or distributor. I have a stainless steel Ruger Vaquero that I bought NIB on GB from a well-known seller there with hundreds of A+ ratings. Beautiful revolver and great workmanship that unfortunately had a major turn line in the cylinder. Looked like some bored retard just sat and played with it while watching a western movie at work. Needless to say I was extremely pissed off and left the seller negative feedback.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make them replace it. Perhaps you may help them "fix" their quality control. However, the factory may not be responsible for it, could be the dealer or others involved in the distribution chain.

Posts: 1250 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post