SIGforum
While We Love Our Glocks, Who Likes the Stock Sights?
September 06, 2026, 09:19 AM
SSAreGreatWhile We Love Our Glocks, Who Likes the Stock Sights?
While many of us including myself love our Glock pistols, how many of us Glock lovers like the stock plastic sights? I own Glocks and change out the sights ASAP!What is Your Opinion of the Glock Stock Sights?I Do Not Like the stock sights.I Hate the stock sights.I am Neutral on the stock sights.I Like the stock sights.I Love the stock sights.How Many Glock Owners Change the Stock Sights?I Change the stock sights.I Keep the stock sights.I Would Change the stock sights if I had the funds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.
Liberty is a well armed Lamb!
September 06, 2026, 09:21 AM
92fstechI hate the stock sights, but not as much because of the fact that they're plastic but more the white outline on the rear.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
September 06, 2026, 09:22 AM
.38supersigI don't think they are all that bad, but there are too many options and the sights are super easy to change.
September 06, 2026, 09:23 AM
cslingerTruth be told I actually like the sight design (ball in bucket) I just don’t like that they are plastic.
I have kept them on one Glock as back ups to a dot.
Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
September 06, 2026, 10:02 AM
sigspecopsI like the design and I don’t mind them being plastic. I’ve never been in a situation where it would matter. The only thing that bothers me is that other gun manufacturers offer metal sights for the same price or less. Glock is nickel and diming us over the sights.
No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
September 06, 2026, 10:03 AM
sandmattI like the factory sight design but don’t care for the plastic. I send my all my Glock slides to Georgia and have them replace the plastic for steel sights, runs about $25.
September 06, 2026, 10:09 AM
SSAreGreatquote:
Originally posted by sandmatt:
I like the factory sight design but don’t care for the plastic. I send my all my Glock slides to Georgia and have them replace the plastic for steel sights, runs about $25.
Are these night sights for $25 or just white steel sights?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.
Liberty is a well armed Lamb!
September 06, 2026, 10:13 AM
YooperSigsIf a gun is primarily marketed as defensive carry, then steel tritium nights sights should be standard from the manufacturer.
Evidently Glock does not understand this.
End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
September 06, 2026, 10:58 AM
sandmattGlock steel sights $24 + tax
Glock night sights $88.44 + tax
Ameriglo sights $132 + tax
As a side note, unless you send a stripped slide and have an older extractor, they will replace and Not send the older extractor back.
September 06, 2026, 11:05 AM
ChowserAll my non-optic glocks get Ameriglo hacks. usually on sale for under $60 at amazon. my optic equipped glocks get ameriglo gl429s. even cheaper.
Not minority enough! September 06, 2026, 11:36 AM
straightshooter1I've owned a fair number of Glocks none of which kept their factory sights for longer than it took me to buy a set of night sights to replace them.
In recent years I almost always buy Night Fision for a couple of reasons-they were incredibly nice and polite to me the first time I ever heard of them and called them and the second reason is that they make a big old yellow front night sight that I can pick up quickly day or night.
If for some reason I can't get Night Fision, I generally purchase Trijicon. Again, two reasons, they've been around a long time with a good reputation and secondly, their sights have never failed me or dimmed out like the Sig P365 night sights.
Bob
September 06, 2026, 12:13 PM
12131quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Truth be told I actually like the sight design (ball in bucket) I just don’t like that they are plastic...
I have always felt this way, too.
Q
September 06, 2026, 01:06 PM
AnubismpI shoot an optic, so I haven't changed from stock sights in years. Back before optics I liked to change them to night sights, typically meprolights, but now, I dont care.
September 06, 2026, 01:08 PM
MacGyverquote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Truth be told I actually like the sight design (ball in bucket) I just don’t like that they are plastic...
I have always felt this way, too.
Same
September 06, 2026, 02:19 PM
RogueJSKThe plastic Glock factory sights are semi-jokingly referred to as "dovetail protectors". The insinuation being they exist just to protect the dovetail in the slide until the buyer can install some real sights.
The plastic sights are fine for a casual range gun. They get the job done. But if you plan to utilize your Glock for serious purposes, you definitely want to replace them with metal sights, even if it's just with the factory metal version of the exact same style cup/ball sights. (I don't understand why Glock doesn't just include those from the start... It can't be that significant of a cost savings.) Though if you're going to replace the sights, you might as well go with night sights in most cases.
At my last agency, a number of other agencies in the area used our shooting range for training and qualifications, and firearms instructors like me were often on hand to assist. This included groups of Department of Corrections shooters like the state Probation/Parole officers and the transport officers from the local prison facilities. These DOC folks use Glocks with the factory plastic sights. I've seen a bunch of their guns whose plastic sights were chewed up or even partially torn off. Not even from serious abuse, just from regular drawing/holstering and being banged around in armories and gun lockers.
Makes it hard to explain proper sight picture to an already struggling DOC shooter when their rear sight is missing part of one ear and their front sight has no flat edges to it.
(And on a semi-related note, my agency brass eventually had to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the DOC brass because their shooters kept putting holes in our ceiling and walls. Truly the worst group of LE shooters I've ever encountered, both because of their marginal training as well as the fact that their day to day jobs don't usually focus on guns so keeping up with practice is just not a priority for them. I always dreaded helping with those groups, as well as with the annual LEOSA requals for retired officers, another group which also always included some really questionable shooters.)
September 06, 2026, 02:53 PM
DanHquote:
Originally posted by sandmatt:
Glock steel sights $24 + tax
Glock night sights $88.44 + tax
Ameriglo sights $132 + tax
I can't be the only one who would willing add $25-30 to the gun's MSRP just to get steel sights and be done with it?
September 06, 2026, 07:54 PM
egregoreI was OK with the stock sight picture and didn't have any other problems. I just liked night sights better.
September 07, 2026, 12:25 PM
AJP173I change the stock sights to either night sights on carry guns and target sights on guns used for competition. I am happy that I am not paying extra for better sights that I am most likely going to change.
September 07, 2026, 09:34 PM
Pale HorseI don’t really mind the stock sights at all. I do always change them, or typically just buy a model with upgraded sights, because I prefer three dot night sights for consistency but if the stock sights were tritium I’d probably keep them on range guns.
“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
September 08, 2026, 09:34 AM
stray dogI can't voice a preference. My Glocks mostly have night sights because that's the way they came to me. My G30 has the stock sights, but I haven't shot it for a while so it doesn't leave a strong impression either way.