SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm Short Barrels - what's your carry ammo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Short Barrels - what's your carry ammo? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I have a couple of 9mm short barrels (G43, 43X, 26) and currently carry 147gr HST. I am looking at purchasing the P365, but wonder what ammo to carry in it.

I have a bunch of the 147 HST because it was my old duty ammo for over a decade...but was wondering if this was the best choice...

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
147 HST standard pressure or Gold Dot 124+P.

I get better groups with the 147 HST.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Ammo Quest/ShootingTheBull did a lengthy test series on SD ammo shot out of a 3" barrel Sig P938. His recommendations were:

Winchester Defend 147gr
Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P
Federal HST 124gr
HST 124gr +P
HST 147gr
HST 147gr +P
HST 150gr micro

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
124 grain HST once I have enough on hand to shoot some to establish reliability.

Until then factory Hornady 115 XTP. I have fired many hand loaded rounds using the 115 XTP that match factory velocity and cartridge OAL without any functional issues.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Hornady Critical Defense

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Underwood/Lehigh Defense 115g Extreme Penetrators.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you already have HST 147 grain, you really don't need to look any further. However, in addition to the HST 147, I like the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P, which has been my home defense load of choice for many years, and which would serve you well in any barrel length, although given the small size of the P365, you would likely be better off with standard velocity ammunition. The HST 147 is probably ideal but I wouldn't hesitate to use the HST 124 grain standard velocity.

Posts: 107700 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my Shield all others 9's get 147gr HST's.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Underwood/Lehigh Defense 115g Extreme Penetrators

This.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feed my 365 the Federal Classic 9BP 115 grain JHP and it works just fine.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 365 shoots fine with Speer Gold Dot G2s. However, I'd stick to 147 HST or Gold Dot. G2 is expensive and hard to get.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
In my 365 or 938 I almost exclusively shoot HST 124gr. I find I shoot the non +p better than the +p particularly on follow up shots. In my larger CCWs I mostly carry Gold dot 124gr +p or HST 124gr +p. I also have HST 147gr in my inventory but rarely reach for them.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Speer loads a "short barrel" 9mm but I haven't been able get any yet to try

I've been keeping my Hellcat with Cor-Bon 115gr +P PDX (the Barnes copper bullet), but of course now I don't seem to have the pics anymore from that load, just the 115 and 125 conventional JHP's.

This thread reminded me that I bought some 147s to test and try, for a potential "winter load", but I forgot all about it, busy with too many other things.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Hornady Critical Defense

Same here, but more for the bullet shape. The sharper taper feeds better in my P11.
Hydrashok tended to not feed as reliably.

But, I rarely CCW that one anymore. It is my goto for pocket carry & I haven't had the need in a while.

Wife's LC9 has the same Hornady in it, since I had it on hand.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
124gr +p Gold Dots in all my 9's.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I’m a fan of Winchester Ranger 147, standard pressure.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
124gr +p Gold Dots in all my 9's.

Same here. I prefer the short barrel GDs, that only come in a 20rd box, 23611. These:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...rel-20rds-23611.html

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my duty ammo in my off duty P365x. Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +p.

Best expansion because of the short barrel? I don’t know. But, I know it is reliable and it is dialed in w/ my handguns.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +p.
Great ammunition. The FBI's current load of choice. I've stashed away a few hundred rounds of it, along with the Critical Duty 124 grain +P. My "traveling pistol" is a Glock17 gen5 with a Surefire X-300 WML in a Wilderness Safepacker. My ammo choice for it is the Critical Duty 135 grain +P, specifically for its enhanced barrier penetration. My G17 house gun, a very early production third generation pistol, is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. I've used this combination for many years and I don't think I'll ever change it, but out on the road, I wanted a load with better barrier penetration.
quote:
Best expansion because of the short barrel? I don’t know.
Hornady states that they do not recommend Critical Duty in sub-4 inch barrels. I think their concern is overpenetration because of minimal expansion.

Posts: 107700 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Critical Defense. (see the link)

https://www.hornady.com/suppor...-defense-differences
and
https://static.hornady.media/s...critical-defense.pdf

-- Chuck

"Never send a man where you can send a bullet."

Posts: 3034 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: June 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post