SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ammo Question: Hornady 185 gr. 45 acp Critical Duty +P
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Question: Hornady 185 gr. 45 acp Critical Duty +P Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Saw this ammo in Dunham's yesterday, and started to get a box. I'm not one for shooting +P through my pistols. It's not the recoil I'm concerned with, it's the increased wear and tear done to the gun.

Probably good ammo, and relatively hard to find in my area. Anyone's input on this ammo? Is it pretty stout ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot it in a 5 inch 1911. In that gun, I did not see a whole lot of difference in recoil than with normal 230gr ammo. Mainly due to the lighter weight bullet, possibly. YMMV. I no longer use 185gr ammo. I think the 200 or 230gr bullets perform better in the 1911.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have shot it in a 5 inch 1911. In that gun, I did not see a whole lot of difference in recoil than with normal 230gr ammo. Mainly due to the lighter weight bullet, possibly. YMMV. I no longer use 185gr ammo. I think the 200 or 230gr bullets perform better in the 1911.

------------------------------------------------

Just purchased a Tisas 1911A1 Gvt model, and was trying different loads. The 185 gr ammo seems to shoot a little higher than the 230 gr jhp's I had.
I had two brands of ammo , Defender 230 gr jhp and Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr.

The 1911 is the gun I started shooting with, and most familiar. I got away from it over the years, and this one is the first one I've had and shot since 2015. And actually been using it for my daily carry.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience was similar. It feels much the same as 230 hardball. I found it very accurate to 20 yards in a 1911. Beyond that, my vision does not support target identification.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It choked my G21. Only round I ever put through it that it didn't like. Think it was a combination of being slightly longer than normal and the friction of that rubbery polymer tip dragging on the ramp. I've got no issue with Critical Duty, but make sure your gun will feed it. That of course goes with any load.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post