SIGforum
Navy SEAL vs. Army Green Beret- the Full Send drill (video)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3960057394

August 01, 2022, 11:06 AM
gpbst3
Navy SEAL vs. Army Green Beret- the Full Send drill (video)
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most of these “drills” are about likes, clicks and views to be honest.

I agree. There's some pretty stupid stuff coming out and I've been thinking the Instructors are having a competition to see who can come up with the most worthless "drills".

Im curious why you didnt like the drills?

August 01, 2022, 11:41 AM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:

lol did you not watch the video? That's pretty much the whole thing. It's literally a SEAL and Green Beret messing with each other.

"I made up this drill to look cool"

Why do you think I said what I did? It’s all a show with a click bait title.

Meaningless.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

August 06, 2022, 11:23 AM
pedropcola
Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously. This video was clearly done for fun. The guy even said so. jones comment can be said about nearly every bit of internet content ever produced. Add money to the list of likes and clicks and you at at 100%.

Everything doesn't have to be an epiphany or life altering. Para just posted a video of some lady shooting 200 guns back to back to back. The point? There isn't one. You guys seem to be getting your backs up because it was called a "drill". Whoop-de-doo, he touched a butt. (nemo reference) Fun, it was for fun.

You guys are lying if you have never been at a range and came up with some silly contest to determine who buys lunch. You just didn't film it. Nowadays everything is filmed (I agree that it shouldn't but that is another discussion lol) It's the gun equivalent of playing HORSE.
August 06, 2022, 12:52 PM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

I agree. There's some pretty stupid stuff coming out and I've been thinking the Instructors are having a competition to see who can come up with the most worthless "drills".

Im curious why you didnt like the drills?

I wasn't referring to the drills in the OP directly, I was referring to a lot of other drills that are coming around lately. However, the drill in the OP while entertaining, doesn't address the real world. Nobody is going to run a fairly long distance, stop where there is no cover or concealment and do 3 mag dumps. It's simply not realistic.
August 06, 2022, 03:27 PM
sigfreund
There are at least a couple of purposes of drills and exercises.

The first is direct development of specific skills. When we practice drawing a handgun from a holster incorporating retention security features, it’s to become proficient with drawing from that holster quickly and without doing anything to hinder the draw such as forgetting to release a snap or not doing it as efficiently as possible. Dry firing helps condition us to manipulating the trigger while controlling the gun properly.

A second purpose is to develop skills and habits by means indirectly related to the skills and habits we’re ultimately trying to develop. For example, snipers, both military and law enforcement, are unlikely to be required to make a precision shot immediately after sprinting a couple of hundred yards and flopping down to the prone position. It’s conceivably possible, especially for an LE shooter, but not likely. What may be more common, though, is having to shoot when one’s heartrate is elevated for other reasons, such as seeing a hostage taker kill a child. The latter sort of thing cannot be realistically simulated in training, but heartrates can be elevated through exercise. Even if the effects on the sniper are not exactly the same, mandatory exercise during training or qualifications does expose the sniper to similar challenges and helps condition him to dealing with the effects of elevated heartrate.

Running before shooting a handgun may serve both purposes: for an LEO who might have to shoot after running a distance at speed, the drill is a direct simulation of that situation. On the other hand, if the officer’s heartrate is elevated due to the adrenaline dump that results from being shot at, running before shooting is only a simulation of the situation, but it still gives him practice in coping with such a situation.

The purpose of shooting three full magazines as fast as possible is less obvious to me, but if it were something we did all the time, it might help develop the habit of maintaining focus and good shooting fundamentals under stress rather than just jerking the trigger as fast as possible. I have seen videos of shooters shooting like that in defensive situations with apparently no good result. Going through 51 rounds as fast as possible is, however, not something most of us could afford to do multiple times on a regular basis.

And sometimes drills are simply to make a teaching point. That was my intention recently in a scenario I set up at the end of an extended patrol rifle training session. Shooters were confronted with a man at a long distance who killed one person and still had two hostages. The scenario also made it impossible, however, for the officers to approach closer or to achieve a supported position to be confident of an accurate rescue shot. The point of that exercise was to point out that not all problems can be treated as a nail even if our only tool is a hammer.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 06, 2022, 03:28 PM
92fstech
My favorite part was where the second guy made his draw while he was still on the run towards the target and some moron is still downrange playing with a camera. Roll Eyes

Apart from that, fun video, and I do like the element of fatigue to add stress. Not sure of the value of dumping 3 full mags like that, but if you've got the ammo what the heck...and these guys were obviously going for entertainment value. Nothing wrong with that.

I did a thing a while back where I shot a B8 at iirc 7 yards with 5 or 10 burpees between each shot. It was exhausting, and definitely added an element of difficulty that standing and shooting at 7 yards doesn't provide. By the 10th round I was pretty wasted. My round count was lower and my accuracy standard was higher than what these guys are doing, but the concept is similar.

IMO there's some practical real-world value to training to shoot while physically exerted. You might be in a physical confrontation prior to having to shoot (and believe me, those will wear you out quick!), or may have tried to run away before being cornered and left with no other option...or in the case of LE you may have just chased down and/or fought with a suspect. It's good to have at least experienced what it's like before you have to do it for real.
August 07, 2022, 05:09 PM
Butch 2340
Jase Robertson was a SEAL?

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

August 07, 2022, 10:06 PM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Jase Robertson was a SEAL?

Lol, I thought the same thing! Even sounds like him!