SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Correctly guess this gun part and win a nice mystery Karma *** WINNER = soggy_spinout ***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correctly guess this gun part and win a nice mystery Karma *** WINNER = soggy_spinout *** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Yes, unfortunately, the more the gun manufacturers try to consolidate things and cut corners, the worse they make it for the consumer, and ultimately themselves whether they think that the consumers "will never notice the difference", making a few extra cents or bucks, etc.. I'll keep my other thoughts on that for another thread I'm thinking about posting about other observations of quality issues and manufacturing changes observed in recent years and my personal experiences in the last few months, so back on topic.

I have both a P229 and a P228 parts kit. I included a picture of them below. The P229 kit clearly has the white spring and the P228 has the original P228 spring that belongs in the P228 just as 12131 has posted in his spring picture, I even counted the coils. 11 for the P229 and 13 for the P228 spring. Not only does the P228 spring have more coils that are closer together, it is a little longer than the P229 spring too. I'm glad I grabbed to P228 parts kit when I did for my KG two tone P228 but unfortunately it is the only one I have for it.

The concerns for anyone with a P228 though are that the P229 spring is indeed going to allow the P228 to beat itself up more quickly because of the spring difference since the P229 spring is also designed to manipulate a heavier milled slide that absorbs more of the recoil and requires less dampening than a lighter folded steel slide like in the P228. It would seem that even if the springs have identical uncompressed tension ratings, the fact the original P228 spring has two more coils and is longer should slow the slide down more smoothly and also return the slide back to battery more smoothly as well. At least that is what it seems like from 12131's testing.

I guess this is a good lesson for all of us that if we plan to keep a gun for a long period of time, we should invest in enough original spare parts for as long as we intend to keep it because you never know when the manufacturer may make a change or stop supporting a gun altogether.

Sig has had a nasty habit of dropping support for discontinued models very shortly after the discontinue date.

From what you know, would it be the same situation for the stamped slide P226 and P220? That the new model recoil springs will cause potential damage to those guns because they are in fact spec’d for heavier milled stainless slides?

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 328 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that info.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
There is no way I would run the short spring. 12131, maybe that importer you know of can supply you with the longer spring. There must be a alternative.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Up to 25k yesterday, with the new locking insert. Zero problems.

I'll be replacing the spring with a new old stock original P228 spring I have left. After that, it will be the Wolff spring, which I have a bunch.

Q

Posts: 26346 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Midwest Gun Works has the silver p228 recoil springs.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...ge/mgwi/prod/RSS-228

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:

Sig has had a nasty habit of dropping support for discontinued models very shortly after the discontinue date.

From what you know, would it be the same situation for the stamped slide P226 and P220? That the new model recoil springs will cause potential damage to those guns because they are in fact spec’d for heavier milled stainless slides?

Unfortunately I have never owned a vintage folded slide P220/P226 or have the parts kits to compare, only the more recent milled models. All I can really offer is compare the springs from your older model to what is currently available in parts kits or on their own, or even what is in a milled P226 if you happen to own both. Count the coils and compare the length and if you observe a similar situation to what is shown here about the P228, I would say that it would likely be a similar result. Obviously if the spring in your older one has seen quite a few rounds, your length comparison may not be as obvious but a difference in coil count will still point to a similar situation.

It may very well be safer just to use an aftermarket spring from a reputable supplier to help the longevity and function of the older folded slide guns as long as they are not made the same as SIG's current crop of springs.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Quote:
It may very well be safer just to use an aftermarket spring from a reputable supplier to help the longevity and function of the older folded slide guns as long as they are not made the same as SIG's current crop of springs.[/QUOTE]

Wolff springs are good, but you need a "Fat Guide Rod" from grayguns. This will prevent those single wire springs from getting hung up in the slide guide rod hole.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that link Greymann. I just bought a three pack of the P228 springs and along with the one in the parts kit I have, those should be plenty for my P228 as I only shoot it once in a great while since I have other guns for more frequent use.

12131...what is the part number of the spare locking insert you are using? It seems there are several different SIG part numbers for those as well with similar descriptions. Obviously I would not be looking at one for the magazine safety models but there are still several different ones labeled for "P228/P229 9mm". Given your testing, and even with swapping out the recoil springs and a reasonable interval, I'm sure I and others with a P228 may want to have at least one on hand just in case. Thanks in advance.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:

12131...what is the part number of the spare locking insert you are using? It seems there are several different SIG part numbers for those as well with similar descriptions. Obviously I would not be looking at one for the magazine safety models but there are still several different ones labeled for "P228/P229 9mm". Given your testing, and even with swapping out the recoil springs and a reasonable interval, I'm sure I and others with a P228 may want to have at least one on hand just in case. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the baggy anymore, so I can't tell you. But, I can tell you this: The newer locking insert with that "29" stamped on top is the one that started to pop up in the P228s in the latter half of the 90s, and the earliest I know of is on the KH (1997) guns. This one obviously will also work in the early Legacy slide P229 (9mm). So, if you see it on the market, grab it for spare.

Q

Posts: 26346 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Apex Gun Parts has some used P228 Locking Inserts they say very good to excellent. I've bought some parts from Apex and the description has been honest. And Numrich did have some new locking inserts, but I haven't checked lately.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/h...sert-part-no-17.html

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
A piece of the locking insert out of a SIG.

DING! WINNER!
Congrats, soggy. That's amazing. I don't know if you're into long guns much, and if so, would you care for a LNIB Aimpoint PRO. All yours. Let me know.

soggy, please respond. I've sent 3 emails to the address listed in your Profile. Two went unanswered. The 3rd one this morning, I received a Mailer-Daemon unable to deliver message, due to

quote:
No SMTP service
Reject due to policy restrictions.

Something screwy with the email address. Hope the 4th time is a charm. Just sent you another one.

Q

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
A piece of the locking insert out of a SIG.

DING! WINNER!
Congrats, soggy. That's amazing. I don't know if you're into long guns much, and if so, would you care for a LNIB Aimpoint PRO. All yours. Let me know.

soggy, please respond. I've sent 3 emails to the address listed in your Profile. Two went unanswered. The 3rd one this morning, I received a Mailer-Daemon unable to deliver message, due to

quote:
No SMTP service
Reject due to policy restrictions.

Something screwy with the email address. Hope the 4th time is a charm. Just sent you another one.

I just sent him a test email. It was accepted by the mail server the domain in his email is using.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post