SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on the S&W 617?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the S&W 617? Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I have owned both the 4" and 6" versions of the 617. Both were great revolvers. I wanted to like the 4" better, but the 6" was just a sweeter gun. I think the trigger was a little better and it just pointed better for me. I sold both to fund other purchases, but those are two guns that I wish I still had.

I fondled a new King Cobra .22 at my LGS last week. I've already got 2 .22 handguns on layaway, but man was that thing sweet. I had to fight myself hard not to put a third .22 handgun on layaway......If when I walk in there again and it is still there I may be forced to put it on layaway.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Interesting you mention the King Cobra. I may have to include that as an option in the decision.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2388 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
If I had a 4" 617 and a King Cobra in front of me and I had to pick one, I think I would pick the King Cobra.

Part of my reasoning is based upon the over all look and feel of each gun. The King Cobra just looks better/higher quality.

Secondly, I own one of the new 3" King Cobra 357 revolvers and I really like it. The action is superb. I know that is apples and oranges when comparing to a rimfire, but it still factors in for me.

Lastly, and I think this is related to my second point somewhat, I just have more faith in CZ and their ability to consistently produce a quality product compared to Smith and Wesson.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have had my 617 4" 10 shot for about 20 years now. It remains our dedicated snake and Bufo toad gun, firing CCI shot shells. The .22 shot shell does a fine job on rattlesnakes, just a single round to the head and they are done.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 inch 617 No Dash which means it's the original version with the steel 6 shot cylinder. With that long full lug barrel is just a bit nose heavy and I do mean heavy. Weighed it once on the kitchen digital scale and it came to a total of 52 ounces. By far and away it's the heaviest revolver I own and I have a 6 1/2 inch model 610.

Off a rest the best accuracy I achieved is 1.75 inch at 35 yards, that's 105 feet. Ammo it likes the best is the Cheap Stuff. That being Winchester Wildcat. I've tried some Fiochi, CCI Stingers, and Eley 40 grain and found nothing groups as well as those Wildcats. DA trigger pull is at 9 lbs. even and totally reliable. The Single Action trigger was worked over for a previous owner and it one you do need to pay attention to, the break is at just a whisker over 2 lbs. and you do NOT want to transition from shooting a model 67 in Double Action to the 617 in Single Action. The one and only Accidental Discharge I've ever done and all I was trying to do was place my finger on the trigger after rough sighting it in.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4” with a lock. It is the only Smith I own that has one. On a .22 it doesn’t bother me a bit. (Can’t see it when I’m using it!)
I’ve always favored Colts, but I’ve owned 4 of the new ones and they just don’t stick. I despise the rear sights on the new Colts. I think they’re inelegant and kludgey. They don’t even provide the Allen wrench w/ the gun to adjust the windage.
I used a K frame spring kit ($20) in my 617. I did not replace the trigger return spring. I polished the bolt and installed a longer strain screw to accommodate the recess in the main spring. It shoots well enough that I bought it a set of Nils grips!
I could have bought the new Colt….

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Back in the dark ages, my revolver of choice for deer hunting was a Smith & Wesson 629 with the 8-3/8" barrel.
This was before the "Endurance Package" Models/Dash numbers. I recall my 629 having no dash number.
I soon figured out that if you shot the early 629's enough with full house hunting loads, they shot loose. (end shake, timing, crane alignment problems)

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to buy a 617 with the 8-3/8" barrel so I could get in some of my off season practice with the 617 instead of the 629.
I ordered the 617 and didn't inspect it close enough. The six chambers looked like they had been drilled/reamed with a worn out post hole digger/earth auger.
The chambers surface finish could be generously described as "rough" and nothing chambered/extracted very good.

I sold the 617.
I stopped using 629's. I sold all of them.

For non dangerous game hunting now, nothing but Ruger Single Actions when I'm using a revolver.
They will not shoot loose or experience end shake and timing issues on a yearly or every couple of years basis.
I know the Ruger Single Actions are not as pretty or refined compared to the Smith & Wesson choices.
And then the "cast" vs "forged" concerns.

I called Smith & Wesson one day when my 629 was back at the Mothership for repairs.
I wanted to know how they repaired the crane misalignment.
They told me it was easy, just lay a small piece of soft metal down near the pivot hinge point for the crane, close the cylinder till the crane contacted the small piece of soft metal,
and then give the outside of the crane a "calibrated" hit with a lead hammer. Yup, bend it back into shape with a hammer.
I wasn't shooting crazy power level ammunition. Factory .44 Magnum 240 grain soft points.
Yet every couple years the 629's had to go back to the S & W Factory and get tightened up or accuracy suffered.

I'm down to two Smith & Wesson revolvers now. One "J" frame, one "X" frame.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1547 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
They told me it was easy, just lay a small piece of soft metal down near the pivot hinge point for the crane, close the cylinder till the crane contacted the small piece of soft metal,
and then give the outside of the crane a "calibrated" hit with a lead hammer. Yup, bend it back into shape with a hammer.

A buddy of mine who went through the S&W armorer school back in the day told me that after they explained that process to the class, they told them "never let the owner watch you work on their revolver!" Big Grin!

Posts: 8585 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post