SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Luger P-08...jump in or stay out?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luger P-08...jump in or stay out? Login/Join 
posted
I have had a fascination with getting one for months. Non-stop board watching, video reviews, internet research. I think I'm over it, and then I get the urge again.

Two big issues: I don't want to collect per se, I'd want to shoot mine, which basically means getting a mixmaster shooter, or one of the 70's reboot Interarms-imported "Original Mauser" guns. But heck, those are expensive too. $1.5K and up.

Even if I get one that I can shoot, tiny sights, finicky on ammo, Mec-gar modern mags sold out everywhere. Etc.

Financially, I can afford to indulge in this nascent obsession...but is it a decent obsession to have? I mean, is there anything inherently special about having and shooting them? Please share the candid truth.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I have had a fascination with getting one for months. Non-stop board watching, video reviews, internet research. I think I'm over it, and then I get the urge again.

^^^ Your answer was easy to find.

I didn't think I needed a P220 in 7.65mm. Ammo is hard to find. Not very practical. At least it was only $700 or so...

Then I found another... then a P226... then a P220 in 9mm Steyr for $450... then another...

Um, yeah, I think you'll be fine. Wink

At least your ammo should be easier to get.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say grab one if you want one. You can always sell it down the road if you need the money for something else. You may be able to find a shooter grade one for under $1500 with some searching and time. They take a steady arm, no limp wristing, and the sights suck. But, it's a LUGER!!!!

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

I didn't think I needed a P220 in 7.65mm. Ammo is hard to find. Not very practical. At least it was only $700 or so...

At least your ammo should be easier to get.

A vendor at a smallish gun show was selling 3 50-roun old boxes of Fiocci 7.65 for $25 each. I do not have that caliber but I knew enough to see a smoking deal when I saw one...

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have a Luger.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Baird:
I'd say grab one if you want one. You can always sell it down the road if you need the money for something else. You may be able to find a shooter grade one for under $1500 with some searching and time. They take a steady arm, no limp wristing, and the sights suck. But, it's a LUGER!!!!

Agreed.

My $0.02 - I've had a few of them and I think they are terrible shooters, but if you buy it right and don't beat it up you can always get your money back out of it.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As long as you get in at a reasonable price, your equity will be there. That can be the deal though, prices widely vary, scammers work their trade.

I was at a gunshow a few years ago, a guy was walking around with a funky looking Garand. It had a silvery or stainless finish. He had a price well below the norm, may of been $600-800 or so.

He stopped by a table with a guy that had several Garands, looking to peddle. After he left I went to talk to the guy at the table. He had an explanation, then said the one the guy carried wasn’t worth over $300.

A few years ago, 3-4, I bought a Luger. It was from a seemingly reputable shop. I think everything matches, he went over some details. I paid $1240, it’s been hard to find one for $1k. We shoot it at times, but it’s more a safe queen.

I read an article a while back that mentioned a plethora of counterfeit items from WW-II, mostly Nazi stuff. This wasn’t guns, but daggers, flags, & other memorabilia.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you truly want a Luger, then buy one!! I bought my first Luger in 1972 and have never been without one since. I now have a "few" of them, and all of my guns are shooters.....not safe queens. There is nothing else out there like one.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the answer to that is very much dependent on you and your gun owning and shooting goals. I think a Broomhandle Mauser and a Luger of some kind belong in what I would consider a well rounded collection. But if you are mainly interested in hunting or competition, there are probably better choices. I have shot a few Lugers and have one of the modern Mauser Lugers. I do not shoot it very much, but always enjoy it when I do. I think it points very naturally for me. I have not shot it for a few years, but this thread has got me thinking I will take it out soon.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a "shooter" Luger as well. They're out there, and some folks realize what they have and that it's not made out of solid gold.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I think the answer to that is very much dependent on you and your gun owning and shooting goals. I think a Broomhandle Mauser and a Luger of some kind belong in what I would consider a well rounded collection. But if you are mainly interested in hunting or competition, there are probably better choices. I have shot a few Lugers and have one of the modern Mauser Lugers. I do not shoot it very much, but always enjoy it when I do. I think it points very naturally for me. I have not shot it for a few years, but this thread has got me thinking I will take it out soon.

Thanks Ironworker. Where in NoVA are you? I'm out near Lorton.

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
My word of warning. You buy one Luger not long after you will want another and another. I speak from experience on this matter. I have the advantage of having bought mine long ago when they were relatively cheap.
All that said if you buy a mix-master great shoot the piss out of it. If you buy a collectable all matching gun consider buying a replacement bolt and extractor as those are the two highest breakage parts. Buying a 70's Mauser is a solid choice, you missed the boat as those jumped in price in the past few years. They used to only sell for $700 NIB. They will be less prone to breakage due to modern steel used in the manufacture. If you reload load them so the gun cycles, they do not need to be +P++++ MG ammo! I have 5 or so shooters, that I rarely shoot anymore. They just sit in the safe with the others that can't be shot. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p08,

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Scratch the itch while you're waiting for the real deal. (A review link included)

Legends P.08 pistol
Uses 12-gram CO2 cartridge
Semiauto
21rd removable BB magazine
Blowback (toggle moves)
Single-action
Manual safety
Fixed sights
Full metal
Can be field-stripped similar to the firearm but not as far down

https://www.pyramydair.com/pro...ll-metal?m=3485#6728

https://www.pyramydair.com/blo...o2-pistol-parts-1-2/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a shooter definately pick up a mixmaster or more modern version. I won't shoot a nice Luger for fear of something breaking. I used to have a Russian capture mixmaster that we shot on a regular basis. The sights sucked, but with the fixed barrel it was more accurate than most of my other 9mm or 45acp surplus pistols.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

Thanks Ironworker. Where in NoVA are you? I'm out near Lorton.

Sir, I am near Manassas.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely post, Batty. I was in the LGS serving Woodbridge yesterday, when an older gentleman brought in a Luger for appraisal. Looked pretty nice. Perhaps they'll put it up for a consignment?
Who knows, but they are out there.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Luger is so iconic that it is one pistol the handgun enthusiast must own!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
The Luger is so iconic that it is one pistol the handgun enthusiast must own!

So much so that WWII soldiers were willing to risk their lives to get one, or die in the process - R.I.P. Donald Hoobler.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks. Since I'm not going to collect, I've pretty much decided (not 100%) to get an excellent or NIB 1970s-era, Mauser-made P-08 Luger imported by Interarms. A nice feature is that I LIVE in Alexandria, Virginia, which is stamped on the pistol.

And I'm going to shoot it. So, a more modern pistol in terms of metallurgy is essential. Unfortunately, these at 40-50 YO Lugers are becoming collectible and prices have shot up, so I'll have to pay more. Now I need to find and obtain one. Should not take too long.

posted Hide Post
A couple of things about the 70s era Mausers. They have the grip safety as found on some early Lugers. Also, these are made with cast frames in 7.62 Luger or 9mm. Barrel lengths are either 4" or 6" (not sure if they made an 8" Artillery version). Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Enjoy!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post