SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Advice wanted for 10+ year safe queens.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice wanted for 10+ year safe queens. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So to summarize, the company selling mag springs thinks they wear out constantly and need to be replaced. That’s funny.

My experience is that I’ve bought plenty of extra mag springs over the years. The intent was to replace them at first sign of trouble. They are all still sitting in their plastic wrappers. Mag springs tale a loooooong time to wear out.

The only caveat I have experienced is aftermarket mags sometimes come with really weak springs. KCI Glock mags are great. Once you round off all the extra flashing and put in new springs.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Wolff Sprngs has a goof FAQ on magazine springs.

Sure. And the oil change shops recommend oil changes every 3000 miles. Big Grin

Yeah, and all car makers maintenance recommendations are rediculous and only to insure that dealer high profit parts and service departments stay very busy. Big Grin

Still I think their is good info in their FAQ in that not all magazines are designed the same and that high capacity magazines in particular may be pushing the limits of reliable longevity.

Good news is magazine springs are cheap and usually easy to change and as always it is best to test magazines on occasion, especially for that every day carry.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The only caveat I have experienced is aftermarket mags sometimes come with really weak springs. KCI Glock mags are great. Once you round off all the extra flashing and put in new springs.

You're right. I bought 5 of their 30 round Glock mags when I couldn't get OEM Glocks and they had a lot of feeding problems.

So I took out their mag springs, took out the extra plastic flashing and put in Wolff springs.

Now they run like a top.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeeperxd:
I keep my mags loaded for years and never had any problems.

This!

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, a number of years ago a cache of original WW II ball ammo 1oaded mags was discovered somewhere. They all functioned just fine. The real test, however, would have been some WW I mags. Big Grin

I've been shooting for over 50 years. I've never had to replace a mag spring. Do have some inexpensive Metalforms from the Nineties. Began having problems last year. They were all used extensively back then and routinely bounced off the concrete floor (with bumpers of course). Cleaning didn't help. Given their age and use, I just chucked them.

Having stated the above, I would recommend occasional disassembly and cleaning of frequently used mags. Especially with lead reloads, as they can eventually get gummed up inside the body and followers.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned in the past, I had a true expert, a giant/legend in the world of 1911's and gunsmithing in general say to me "springs don't wear out". (and basically that those who say they do are in the business of selling springs) We were discussing recoil springs at the time.

I dunno.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post