SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig 220 Carry Magazine Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig 220 Carry Magazine Issue Login/Join 
posted
***UPDATE: Keeping the magazines loaded for several days has 'fixed' both magazines; 1 is now totally smooth, and the other is still a little stiff but now both easy enough to load mags to capacity(one spring stiffer than the other). No more nosediving locking up the loading process.***
---------
Hello all, just recently purchased a Sig 220 Carry .45 ACP with the SAS, SRT, and wood grips.

Noticed the 8 rounders are 'sumtin, ain't they :-(

One loaded with a bit of a fight and the other only loads if you have three hands and push the shell down with another object after 2 rounds.

The cartridge nosedives by the bullet, while the rear stays high and does not depress as you push down.

I guess it is off to SIG, unless someone knows another fix?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSlap,

Posts: 107 | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Of course the original design specification for the P220 .45 ACP magazine is seven rounds and it's my opinion is that that's how it should remain. Just because SIG managed to get that eighth round in there, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The same goes for SIG (Mec-Gar, actually) bumping P228 and P226 magazines to fifteen and seventeen rounds respectively. I think that in all three instances, the maximum capacity should have been left alone.

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
While I don’t disagree with the above, I’ve never had any major issues loading a P220 8 rounder. That seems a little odd to me.

Are they assembled correctly? Is the follower binding on something?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 8-round ACT-Mags for the P220. While I've had some finish issues with the plating on them, I've had zero loading or feed issues. I don't have any factory 8-rounders.

If you want a new perspective on loading mags, try filling up a 12-round factory P365 mag. Those things suck.

Posts: 8611 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You don't indicate if the pistol is new or used, but regardless, I'd disassemble AND thoroughly clean those mags, followed by a close inspection of the components to identify any obvious issues before passing judgement. Then I'd ensure they're assembled correctly and give it another go.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want a new perspective on loading mags, try filling up a 12-round factory P365 mag. Those things suck.

Hell just new Glock subcompact mags (G26/27/30 etc.). That last sound in those can be a helluva squeeze.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
You don't indicate if the pistol is new or used,

Sorry NH, forgot to mention this is a brand new pistol. I broke the mag down to see if there was anything binding, or if the spring was in backwards, etc. Nothing I could see. If I take a tool and push down in the center of the mag, she will travel all the way down w/o a problem.

Spring is really stiff, so I am hoping after a few days of being fully loaded the one might take it easy on me.

Also to clarify, this is occurring on the 2nd/3rd round being loaded, progressively getting worse as I struggle to add more rounds.

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I have 7, 8, and 10 round factory magazines for a 220 Carry and never had a problem loading them. Do you use the Upulay loader or load them by hand. If the latter, pick up the Upula loader. Makes loading magazines way easier.

Magula Site

For Sale at Midway

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5760 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have found SIG P220 .45ACP eight and ten round magazines somewhat sensitive to loaded hollow point ammo overall length. I have zero experience with the seven round magazines.
I have found Remington Golden Saber brass jacket hollow points to be consistently too long with the large hollow point "cup" that particular hollow point ammo has.
I measured the OAL on that Remington Golden Saber ammo and it was all within SAAMI specs. The problem was the shape of the bullet nose with the large hollow point.
Make sure that isn't your problem. The larger the hollow point "cup" for a particular brand of ammo, the less suitable it will be for a SIG P220 in .45ACP.
If the "cup" of the hollow point drags on the inside front curved corners of the magazines, they will be hard to load into the magazines after 2 or 3, and feeding concerns will be evident.
You'll likely also have cartridges "rattling" inside the magazines if you shake them.
If you haven't already, try some factory 230 grain ball ammo and see how that works.
BTW, I never see that problem with Speer Gold Dots or Federal hollow points. Only with Remington Golden Saber.
It's a shame, I like Remington Golden Saber, just not in a SIG P220 .45ACP pistol.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1548 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I load them by hand, as modern magazines were intended to be. I have no issues with hand strength, nor loading magazines.

I have been trying to load ball ammo.

My two new Sig 220 8-round magazines have a fault by their design. Don't know if it was a recent material/part change, or my bad luck. Both magazines have the issue, only one allows me just enough to apply enough hateful pressure to load, where the other require a tool to press the previous round down far enough.

Mags gave been loaded for a few days, if the one does not work it is going back to Sig.

I will probably try a part/spring switch to see if it is mag body, spring, or follower.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Just based off your description, I’d say the mag body is out of spec a bit or warped inward, do you have a “good” mag to compare and measure it to?

If the follower goes all the way down while being pushed in the middle, then the case rim, based off your description of nosediving might be binding up. I wouldn’t think so but if the introduction on a round or two binds it up then it’s gotta be the bullet, try loading it without internals in the mag? Does a bullet slide all the way through, it may be tough to keep it orientated but a few tries you outta be able to see.

ETA: I guess this is debunked if they don’t bind up coming out of the magazine…ignore me for a bit while I think of something else lol

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's completely normal for the 8th (or 10th in a 10 rounder) to be tough for a while.

I took my agency through a transition to P220 from Glock. They used their 40 loaders successfully for the 8th round.

Loading became easier by the second quarterly training and gone by the first year.

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To restate, this was from round 2-3 in the mag--not the last.

****UPDATE****
Keeping the magazines loaded for several days has 'fixed' both magazines; 1 is now totally smooth, and the other is still a little stiff but now both easy enough to load mags to capacity(one spring stiffer than the other). No more nosediving locking up the loading process.***

IMPO, one of the springs (which compress into each other progressively as you load allowing the technical ability to fit the 8th round in a 7-round body) was binding above/below the next spring rung. By compressing it fully for a few days, it picked up its proper set.

posted Hide Post
I have 6 round, 8 round and 10 round Sig mags for my P220 Compact and P220. They all fit and feed all ammo except Sig .45acp Defense rounds.

The Sig branded ammo will not fit or feed in the Sig factory magazines. I called Sig, spoke to a Customer (No) Service Rep who could care less. He was as disinterested as could be.

Note to self; never buy Sig ammo again.

Done

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Upula loader.

Yep get a Upula loader.
I have original mags but my thumbs and Arther Itus have made me buy a loader, I have trouble racking it now and again.
So I have her up for sale.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2260 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
With the P220 I prefer the original 7 round capacity. Sig did update the P220 follower in the late 1980's IIR so the traditional 7 round magazine could fit 8 rounds.

Stuffing 8 rounds was always a bear and many times feeding the 1st round into the chamber wasn't always successful, Only used Geco 230g Ball Ammo (Which was the Sig factory's Armour recommendation) at the time.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post