SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Pistol Slide Engraving? Need Advice For Family Military Recruits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pistol Slide Engraving? Need Advice For Family Military Recruits Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted
My brother's two sons are both going into the military.soon, one is going into the Marine Corps and the other into the Coast Guard. He plans on buying each of them a Sig P320, then have them custom engraved, appropriate to the service each son will enter.

I've never had a pistol engraved and I don't want to give him bad advice on where to go. Have any of you had any very detailed engraving done on the slide of a pistol? I know the Marine Corps EGA symbol is fairly detailed and intricate, so I don't want to steer him wrong.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TexasRaider,

Posts: 808 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Google FEGA

That is the Firearms Engravers Guild of America

On their site are lots of Master Engravers and links to examples of their work.

It will be pretty easy to find one that you like

The issue is time. Most good engravers have a backlog

The last thing I had engraved was this Walther. It took 6-7 months before I got it back

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5182 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
quote:
The issue is time. Most good engravers have a backlog

The last thing I had engraved was this Walther. It took 6-7 months before I got it back

For that kind of exceptional work, half a year, a year even, is well worth it, imo.

Q

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of places do less elaborate laser engravingthat comes out pretty good. In the last 15 years or so many military units have had deployment commemoratives made. Don’t know about sig, but several 1911 makers have been doing such engravings for years

Posts: 3302 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Basenji
posted Hide Post
A number of military units here in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach region have had SIGs engraved for various commemorative reasons, so it has been done.

Posts: 921 | Location: Tidewater VIRGINIA | Registered: April 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it’s just a branch insignia plus something like and inscription, I would think that laser engraving would be most suitable.

That Walther, however, is an excellent example of decorative engraving. I have long thought that I’d like acorns and oak leaves on a gun like that, but being of Scots heritage, how could anything be better than thistle heads and leaves? Thanks for showing us that treasure. Smile

Added: SIG does custom engraving:
https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-works/

The site does not, however, seem to say if minimum number orders are required.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Yeah, nothing as elaborate as above, for sure. Probably going to have a shallow 3D laser engraving of each branch's seal on the slide top, maybe some decoration on the slabsides, that's about it.

These will end up being carrying pieces, not works of art, like above! That is pretty!

Posts: 808 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at Ident Marking

I think they can do what your asking. I have used them in the past for Class III markings and they were done so well people think it comes from the original manufacturer.

Just a thought

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 864 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post