SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    [sort of] range report- P220 .38super
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

[sort of] range report- P220 .38super Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,

Got my first chance to do a live-ammo function check at the range before I had to get to work [and before temps climbed back above 100 today].

I will say that I am very pleased with my P220 in .38Super!

I only fired 3 magazines' worth through it in .38 due to time and heat constraints. The first with a 15lb recoil spring and the last two mags with a 16lb recoil spring.

What can I say? It was soft in the hand, hit where aimed and just felt 'nice'.

I also was experimenting with the P226 9mm barrel in my p220 .38super, and it functioned perfectly- even using .38super mags!

In .38 Super, the shells wound up in the same basic area with either recoil spring.

However, with the 16lb recoil spring the 9mm rounds dropped about 3-4 feet away, while with the 15lb spring it felt like they were landing 7-9 feet away.

The .38 super were landing about 12-15 ft away, I think. Maybe 10-12?

Then I took it to the .22 range and put 2 mags of .22lr mini-mags through the Sig p220 .22 conversion kit- and it worked perfectly!

I was worried about the 18lb hammer spring, but no ignition issues on anything.

Next up will be a longer range trip where I am able to shoot a couple boxes of 9 and .38super through it for group size, and then figure out the sight picture on the .22lr. It was relatively accurate in .22lr, but it took a bit to get the right alignment on the iron targets at about 15-20 yards.

It was a good range trip that left me happy with my purchase.

Just a matter of now having time to use it properly.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice day at the range, indeed!

Your report continues the steady stream of good things I’ve read and heard about the .38 Super cartridge.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Sounds like it all came together for you.

Please post a few pics when you have time.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I've always been a big fan of having multi caliber options out of one platform. Glad to hear yours is working out quite well for you.

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the range report.

For me, the American P-220/.38 Super is as good as it gets.

Looking forward to following this thread and future range trips.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, I have not purchased .38 Super ammo in a while.

OMG, it is stupid expensive. Glad I have a good stash.

Sorry for thread drift.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Holy crap, I have not purchased .38 Super ammo in a while.

I have been accumulating it for many years, and have about 40 boxes of factory ammo, for my 2 Colts and P220. However, I did buy 6 more boxes recently at a gun/ammo estate auction in PA, and it was much cheaper than the 9mm, 38 Special, or .45acp.

In this group of about 150 live auction bidders there was little demand for it, and it averaged less than $20 a box, while the more common calibers were running $35 to $45.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:

I have been accumulating it for many years, and have about 40 boxes of factory ammo, for my 2 Colts and P220. However, I did buy 6 more boxes recently at a gun/ammo estate auction in PA, and it was much cheaper than the 9mm, 38 Special, or .45acp.

In this group of about 150 live auction bidders there was little demand for it, and it averaged less than $20 a box, while the more common calibers were running $35 to $45.

That is a deal I could use!

I am getting into the .38 super thing and, like you, have two 1911s set up for it- plus, now, this .38Super.

I got some info since my last post- ccording to Wolf gun springs, the shells should drop 6-7 feet away, but 3-4 feet is also ok.

Well, the 9mm dropped 3-4 feet with the 16lb recoil spring- so that will be the dedicated 9mm spring. Yet, the .38Super dropped 10-14 feet away, so it gets to try an 18lb recoil spring next trip.

I need to take a couple of rakes next time I am there and spend a few minutes prepping the range to my right. Just rake it all up beforehand and I'll find my brass better.

Some day I'll reload for this. I am trying to save brass for that day, but each range trip I lose 1-3 shells out of 50.

I hope to have a better update by Monday.

As to pictures, well- it is just a p220, wearing E2 grips. Nothing special to look at.

If it were sporting some wooden grips, it would be different enough that I'd take a picture.

My P220 Stainless Elite Carry is the one that looks different, with Cerakoted Tungsten frame and Black slide/small parts.

It had black pitting of stainless frame under wooden grips. I killed rust, smoothed out frame as much as possible, and then had cerekoted. This looks different, even if it has E2 grips also.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing special to look at.

Blasphemy, every P-220 is something special. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx

As to pictures, well- it is just a p220, wearing E2 grips.

Okay. Hands up if you have seen one like this... Nobody? I haven't either...

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Here is mine, no E2 grips.

I hope yours shoots as good as mine.

Thread drift off. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve