SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Adding a red dot to my pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding a red dot to my pistol Login/Join 
posted
I have been thinking due to fading eyes that a red dot site would make me want to shoot more.
I’ve read you can send a slide out to get it machined for an adaptor plate. For $1100- 1600 I could buy a new pistol with site already installed. I have an older P-226 that I love. Could I buy a slide for it set up with site? If so, where?
Other options?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
P226 RX exchange kits are available from Sig.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...p226-9mm-rx-blk.html

It's a bit spendy considering you could likely get a polymer striker pistol already setup for a sight for the same price.

I have one of these kits for my P320, but I got it with a coupon while on sale to lower the hit.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you shot with a Red Dot? I did not find it so easy.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Have you shot with a Red Dot? I did not find it so easy.

There is certainly a learning curve but once you figure it out they are pretty slick and certainly can make one quick and accurate. But with anything it takes practice.
I have one on my Buckmark for fun. I am not yet in the boat of the red dot as a defensive pistol.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Definitely the way to go for old eyes. Focus on the target rather than the sight. RMR type two is the one you want. LED only. They are a little strange to learn but they are quick and accurate once you do.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, with a little practice using a red dot is a game changer. period. The best way to get one varies a little bit. If you want one for your 226 there are a couple of different ways to do it. If your slide is a one piece one (NOT the older folded stamped one) then you can just have it milled for an optic. The best person to do that IMO is Parker Mountain Machine in NH. You can also buy a conversion slide from Sig with a Romeo1 on it as is shown in the link above. You can also buy another one piece slide from Sig or others and have it milled. The advantage of doing that is you can get it milled for optics other than the Romeo1 and thus you can then get an RMR which is the best of the available slide mounted optic choices. You will definitely be happy having a red dot on your pistol. I'm a convert.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I did have a razor red dot on a 22 semi. Liked the site but didn’t like the pistol.
$600 for a RMR? Ouch!
But... maybe illlook at the S&W Core.

P226 9mm CT
Glock 21

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
For older eyes the RMR is excellent. Had an optic put on a Glock 26 by Suarez and then upgraded it to an RMR. RMR adds significantly enhanced accuracy out to 25 yards which is the maximum of the indoor range I frequent. Day of night the RMR has improved the utility of my Glock. For woods carry in my wet climate I don't have RMRs except for a 1911 long slide 10mm from Ed Brown that I intend to hunt with. That 1911 is by far the most accurate handgun I own and the combo of a well made 1911 and an RMR lets me accurately reach out and be able to make well placed shots. If aged vision is in play an RMR is well worth the price. After all having the bullet hit dead on is what we want.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1531 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Are you planning to carry this gun? If so I would only consider an RMR. They are the most proven design especially the Type 2 models. Sig’s Romeo is nice but it’s still a Chinese made optic like produced in the same factory as some Other cheap Asian red dots. I wouldn’t bet my life on one. If this was going to be a carry gun I would do it right, milled slide, trijicon RMR, CO-witness night Sights. Nothing with an adapter plate like Glock MOS.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I like it for range time and competition but really don't feel comfortable with one for every day carry.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have dot sights on several competition pistols, but, my carry guns all wear Crimson Trace laser grips.
Using either is a learning curve, but, for a pistol, with a short sight radius, you SHOULD be able to shoot more accurately with either.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I spotted a RMR for sale on this Site yesterday, but missed it by a couple of hours.
Probably won’t carry, but have no interest in china junk.

P226 9mm CT
Glock 21

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with the Romeo 1. I've got a bunch of rounds across a sample size of one with no issues. I have two more on the way.

RMR's do not interest me, as I have seen way too many of them fail to ever trust them. Their "Type 2" product may be mature now, but like EoTech, they have a hard road ahead of them to get me to trust them.

I'm hoping that Aimpoint's offering that is set to drop in a couple of weeks is the answer that doesn't have a history of fleas.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
For a target/range toy in lesser calibers they can be fine BUT not on a magnum. I had on my 624 mounted on a rail on top. The first one lasted 30 shots before the mounts broke the second one lasted 20. I returned my Aimpoint 1000 to the factory the second time and the factory offered me an inexpensive upgrade to their laser which I still have mounted to the gun but I fablicated a bottom of the grip mount.

Soon after the Aimpoint 1000 was recalled. Newer red dots might hold up to the recoil but I have my doubts

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing with an adapter plate like Glock MOS.

Can't imagine the reason for this?

posted Hide Post
quote:
RMR's do not interest me, as I have seen way too many of them fail to ever trust them

jljones that's an interesting observation. I've 50K rounds across a dozen on them, agony here on Sigforum has 40K on a single one. I rarely see one break. Poor installation can contribute to the famous blanking issue and for sure some type1's had real issues. I sent one back and trijicon fixed it and its been fine since. I've switched to the type2's on slide mounted use and have not had any issues in 10K or so rounds since I switched on my primary gun.
I compare that to my observational experience at matches where I have not seen a single Romeo1 last more than a few weeks of match duty. Sample size around a dozen.
I just got a p320 slide with one so I'll find out for myself but my observations is literally 100% opposite of yours.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Nothing with an adapter plate like Glock MOS.

Can't imagine the reason for this?

besides the early plate breakage issues with Glock, the co-witness heights are off with many silencer height sights not co-witnessing at all. A few companies carry Glock MOS height sights but options are limited and then holsters become an issue.

I also have thousands of rounds through 3 different RMR's (2 type 1's, one type 2.) Using the anti flicker plates with the RMR type 1's. I haven't had any issues with any of them. My carry gun is a Glock custom 26L with a Zev slide and RMR and it has been completely reliable rounding 9000 rounds.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
RMR's do not interest me, as I have seen way too many of them fail to ever trust them

jljones that's an interesting observation. I've 50K rounds across a dozen on them, agony here on Sigforum has 40K on a single one. I rarely see one break. Poor installation can contribute to the famous blanking issue and for sure some type1's had real issues. I sent one back and trijicon fixed it and its been fine since. I've switched to the type2's on slide mounted use and have not had any issues in 10K or so rounds since I switched on my primary gun.
I compare that to my observational experience at matches where I have not seen a single Romeo1 last more than a few weeks of match duty. Sample size around a dozen.
I just got a p320 slide with one so I'll find out for myself but my observations is literally 100% opposite of yours.

I’ve seem too many of them break.

Maybe things have changed. Maybe things have changed with EoTech. Neither I trust. I may eventually get one but it won’t be for Carry. The guys at the Academy shoot constantly and have had zero issues with the Romeo. That’s good enough for me to take the risk in, because if it was fraught with issues, I’d hear about it and have a Deltapoint or something else.

Again, I hope Aimpoint has a winner.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
besides the early plate breakage issues with Glock, the co-witness heights are off with many silencer height sights not co-witnessing at all.

That's completely confusing to me. I've heard of someone here on sigforum dropping a plate and breaking it, but never have a heard of a plate breaking when installed. And I've abused mine to no end. So point me to some actual failure data. I have used both trijicon and ameriglo suppressor sights and never had an issue on having working backup sights. You do not want cowitnessed sights in any case. No problem on bladetech holsters (all I use).

posted Hide Post
So, just to inject some experience with several above mentioned optics.
RE Deltapoint: my circle of people who use / have used that optic is eight. By "circle" I mean people that I shoot with or people who shoot that I talk to regularly. Every single one of us had DPP break, some multiple times. GJM-AK broke eight. My main use unit broke at 2000 rounds and then again at 5000. A type 2 RMR that I have on a spare slide for that gun keeps going and going, providing a fine service especially when the DPP is travelling to Beaverton (or is it Bend?) for repairs. This experience has been corroborated by many other heavy users including two-times runner-up at Carry Optics Nationals. I'd rather have a bare slide without any sights than DPP on a defensive gun.

Re Romeo: in last 3 weeks I've heard several reports of them losing zero, between 500 - 2000 rounds (from shooters who switched from DPP out of frustration). Don't know what that means. One fairly popular shop that mills slides for optics refuses to mill for Romeo on the basis of their experiences; they feel it is a disservice to their clients. Don't know what that means either.

I do want to be excited about Aimpoint ACRO, except that its size precludes any concealment and its reported specs suggest window size smaller than that of RMR.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post